2017 NFL Draft Prospects | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2017 NFL Draft Prospects

Not saying this is any type of way. Go back and do some research and look at the players again.

Barnett is a snap jumper, along with Walker. They don't work in the NFL. Barnett was lined up against a lot of weaker players, including inside. He'll never line up inside at the next level. Hes a finesse guy in a power body. Slow/heavy feet.

By contrast Mathis has violent, heavy hands. Very nice get off. Recognizes the type of blocks in front of him. Has counters.

He would have had an unbelievable year if not hurt.

I wouldn't touch Barnett until 2nd round.

So, just to be clear, you rate Mathis higher than Barnett? I've watched plenty of Barnett. I'm comfortable with my take heading into the Combine. I'll give Mathis another look, but why does he only have 9 sacks, 15.5 TFL, and 78 tackles in 28 career games?

I haven't really gotten into Garrett, Barnett, or Thomas because it's silly to say they last to our pick. All are blue chip guys that you get in the top 10-15 and hang your hat on for the next decade. Until there's something that happens with those guys I don't understand the discussion. Mathis over Barnett? I've watched all of Barnett and plenty of mathis. Come
on now.

Barnett's presence doesn't always show up on the stat sheet. He disrupted so many plays for Tennessee this year it isn't even funny. His use of leverage on the tackle trying to block him is textbook. Knows how to dip and take that direct angle to the QB without wasting time and getting cute. No slap fighting or stalemates. And he consistently did it against the best every season. And there's upside with his skill set too.

Barnett or walker will not blow up the combine. But it doesn't matter. You don't have to depend on them winning on the edge to get the job done in the NFL. They're multi tooled. Harris, on the other hand, depends on that edge dominance and will be null and void at the next level if that doesn't work. Doesn't have the same value for us ... and his bust ceiling is much higher.

DT Chris Wormley Michigan 6-5 298

[video=youtube;R8r7shtTvrE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8r7shtTvrE[/video]

Combine Results: Pro-Day March 24
Height:6'5"
Weight:298
Arm:34 1/8
Hand:10 1/2
40 Yard Official:4.82
Bench:22
Vertical:31.5
Broad:110
3-Cone:7.08
S. Shuttle:4.55
60 Yard Shuttle:

Strengths Well-built, thick frame from head to toe. Natural bender with ease of movement and agility for a man his size. Has experience playing inside and outside. Comes out low and aggressively off snap. Able to generate bullrush with speed-to-power drive into tackles. Hints of arm-over and spin moves as rusher. Good technician at point of attack. Sets strong, decisive edge with leverage, arm extension and anchor. Pursuit speed gives him extended tackle radius. Able to close down the line quickly and restrict cutback lanes. Balance is excellent; rarely seen on the ground. Able to plow through redirect blocks when charging through gaps. Fairly disciplined in approach. Aware and reactive to jet sweeps and counters. Student of the game and a willing leader.
Weaknesses Not very twitchy firing out of stance and up the field. Lacks explosion in first two steps as edge rusher. Shows delayed transition into the rush off play fakes. Needs to play with faster hands as pass rusher. His wins vs. blockers tend to be more eventual than sudden. Remains engaged with blockers longer than desired at times. Pursuit effort can run a little bit hot and cold. Could lack anchor necessary for full-time transition inside. NFL offensive linemen will be better equipped to counter Wormley's brute power. Needs to bring feet with him and through the tackle.
Sources Tell Us "You can see the athleticism and talent with him but I just don't know that he's consistent enough. He has to make more plays instead of just flashing. His coordinator loves him though. Vouches for his football character, which is important." -- AFC scout
NFL Comparison Jared Crick
Bottom Line Three-year starter who brings leadership and high character into the locker room. Wormley's size and athleticism could appeal to teams that favor big, strong base ends who can set a physical edge and then bump inside as pass rushers. Wormley could be coaxed into a more sophisticated pass-rush approach with coaching, but he's not there yet. His size, athleticism and versatility gives him a chance to earn early playing time and to become an eventual starter.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/chris-wormley?id=2557862

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't really gotten into Garrett, Barnett, or Thomas because it's silly to say they last to our pick. All are blue chip guys that you get in the top 10-15 and hang your hat on for the next decade. Until there's something that happens with those guys I don't understand the discussion. Mathis over Barnett? I've watched all of Barnett and plenty of mathis. Come
on now.

Barnett's presence doesn't always show up on the stat sheet. He disrupted so many plays for Tennessee this year it isn't even funny. His use of leverage on the tackle trying to block him is textbook. Knows how to dip and take that direct angle to the QB without wasting time and getting cute. No slap fighting or stalemates. And he consistently did it against the best every season. And there's upside with his skill set too.

Barnett or walker will not blow up the combine. But it doesn't matter. You don't have to depend on them winning on the edge to get the job done in the NFL. They're multi tooled. Harris, on the other hand, depends on that edge dominance and will be null and void at the next level if that doesn't work. Doesn't have the same value for us ... and his bust ceiling is much higher.

Yeah, I don't see Mathis anywhere near Barnett. I think some people see that Barnett is thick and squatty for a DE, so they just write him off. He did most of his damage against LT's in the SEC (including Cam Robinson), and RT's could barely get a hand on him. I've harped on it a lot, but Barnett looks like a player with a special blend of power and agility. I'm guessing people are discounting his technique, because his hands are too quick for them to notice. When an OT tries to put hands on Barnett, he knocks them away immediately and effortlessly. Dude's a stud, and I expect him to do fine at the Combine - in the range of Bosa's Combine last year.

DE Solomon Thomas Stanford 6-2 273

[video=youtube;9_kfbI-2oHk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_kfbI-2oHk[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:6'3"
Weight:273
Arm:33
Hand:9 3/8
40 Yard Official:4.69
Bench:30
Vertical:35
Broad:126
3-Cone:6.95
S. Shuttle:4.28
60 Yard Shuttle:

STRENGTHS: While shorter than ideal, Thomas sports a power-packed frame with excellent overall weight distribution including broad shoulders and heavily muscled limbs that serve as a testament to his commitment to the weight room. He possesses excellent initial quickness to slip gaps, exploding off the ball and showing good core flexibility and strength to get skinny and fight through tight spaces. Thomas possesses a variety of pass rush techniques to complement his quickness, including a classic over-arm swim, as well as club and rip moves, demonstrating quick, explosive hands to knock away the attempts to reach him by would-be blockers, including recognizing cut blocks. Further, Thomas possesses good leg drive and possesses a natural leverage advantage (due to his height) to push the pocket on the bull rush as well as set the edge to funnel backs back inside. He locates the football quickly, anticipating where it is going and actively spinning away from blocks to pursue laterally and downfield. Thomas runs well for a player of his size, accelerating fluidly to stalk ball-carriers from behind and showing the fluidity to change directions quickly to break down in space. Thomas is a powerful, imposing tackler who is willing to leave his feet to deliver the big hit but is just as likely to wrap, twist and simply toss ball-carriers to the ground. Thomas has no known injuries over his career and possesses athletic bloodlines. His father (Chris) played basketball in college and mother (Martha) ran track, both at Wooster. Uncle, Jon Thomas, was a four-time Big Ten 400 meter champion in the hurdles.
WEAKNESSES: Will be viewed by some as a 'tweener lacking the bulk to be an every-down defensive tackle or the burst and bend of a classic defensive end. Production may be inflated due to Stanford's willingness to run stunts and loops to free him up... Hustles to the ball but does not possess ideal straight-line speed to chase down ball-carriers from behind. Lacks the height to disrupt passing lanes, failing to knock down a single pass or kick in his two years at Stanford. Comes off the ball too high, at times, occasionally getting knocked off the ball.
IN OUR VIEW: Knock Thomas' lack of ideal length or speed all you'd like, he was as disruptive or more than any defender in the entire country in 2016, bar none. Sure, there will be questions as to where he fits best in the NFL but, frankly, if Thomas doesn't fit an NFL team's scheme, it might be the coaches that need to adjust rather than the other way around.
COMPARES TO: Aaron Donald, Los Angeles Rams: Comparing anyone to a disruptive presence like Donald (a legitimate Defensive MVP candidate, in my opinion) seems like hyperbole but it is hard not to see the resemblance to the 6-1, 285 pounder given their similar initial burst, functional power, advanced use of hands, and non-stop hustle.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2165541/solomon-thomas

Somebody actually tried to use a hands-over-eyes smilie in response to j-off-her-doll.

That's worth a month full of laughs.

No doubt another adjuster. They find their way here. Then adjusters talk to adjusters, and all is swell.

Anyway, one discouraging aspect of this draft is I couldn't easily find disruptive defensive tackles who are lower rated. It's been fairly simple in recent years with guys like Grady Jarrett and Javon Hargrave. I'm sure there are some in this draft but for as little as I devote to it at this age I didn't stumble upon any.

I mentioned more than once that I would look to the Pac 12 for value prospects, particularly defensively. That conference is flooded with talent. One of the great litmus tests in sports is to ask a college football fan what he thinks of the Pac 12. It's hilarious how many bar stool types will immediately condemn the league and call it soft, etc.

I had a nice bet on Washington as a small home chalk over Stanford this season. I didn't realize quite how good Washington was, but I knew Stanford was vulnerable given the garbage quarterbacking and bunched injuries at key positions.

That wager was secured at halftime. It was a Friday night isolated game. Joe Mathis was a big part of the physical onslaught. Stanford was so hopeless to block Mathis they kept changing blocking schemes and play calling to avoid him. Mathis is basically what Dion Jordan was supposed to be, but Dion Jordan never threatened to be. Quick savagery off the line and actual explosive athletic ability, not lanky make-believe blase. Mathis ruins more plays than the stats line ever gives him credit for. That's not always an admirable trait. Sometimes I thought he was more of a warrior or wrestler than football player, overly concerned with thrashing the man across from him instead of finding and stopping the ball carrier. Mathis by many accounts is a jerk off the field, although supposedly now turning his life around. That confrontational jerk attitude sometimes lends itself to that man-on-man attitude and not the Patriots style of simply doing your job.

Mathis is kind of like the Missouri kid but more physical and ruthless but not as polished as a finisher. Any team that somehow got both of those guys would be fun to watch in obvious passing downs.

ILB Anthony Walker Jr. Northwestern 6-1 238

[video=youtube;VPYQDLqm7eE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPYQDLqm7eE[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:6'1"
Weight:238
Arm:30 3/8
Hand:9 1/2
40 Yard Official:4.65
Bench:23
Vertical:30.5
Broad:116
3-Cone:
S. Shuttle:
60 Yard Shuttle:

Strengths Carries NFL thickness throughout his frame. Adequate straight-line pursuit speed. Flashes burst gear to close out runners looking to get the corner. Smart player with excellent work ethic. Considered a great teammate and leader. Instinctive downhill runner, and productive. Always looking to play tackles near the line of scrimmage. Works around second-level blocks with limp inside shoulder and upper body turn, causing blockers to miss the target and fall forward. Able to adjust path to the ball in space. Instinctive with good peripheral vision. Outstanding field awareness. Urgent helper on wide receiver screens and hitches. Plays with balanced eyes in coverage, darting between his coverage area and the quarterback's eyes. Crowds target in his area, but willing to come off and hustle to a passing lane if he reads pass. Has 16 passes defensed over his three years.
Weaknesses Has some stiffness in his movement. Has been too muscle-bound and tight at times during career. Got too big, too fast. Missed tackle total on the high side. Comes downhill with some rigidity in his feet that prevent quick, lateral shifts. Sluggish to redirect his weight to mirror shifty runners in the hole or in open field. Should continue to work on functional flexibility. Will need to meet lead blocks with better knee bend and more force. Take-on skills need work. Feet are ahead of his hands when taking on climbing linemen. Allows blockers into his frame rather than punching and maintaining distance. Struggles to play off blocks. Can be obliterated and erased from his gap by angle blocks.
Sources Tell Us “He is playing way too heavy right now, and I don’t think he’s in the shape he needs to be in. But, hey, he’s always productive and he plays in a physical conference, so that’s a plus. He can run but he’s not a great athlete. I think he’ll be a much better player if he plays around 230.” -- Director of scouting for AFC team
NFL Comparison Kiko Alonso
Bottom Line Has packed muscle onto his frame that looks good in the uniform but might be limiting his flexibility and athletic ability. A productive, downhill linebacker who misses too many tackles and struggles as a take-on player. He checks all the desired boxes for football and personal character and can be counted on to do what it takes to improve his game. He could become a decent starting linebacker within his first few years.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/anthony-walker jr.?id=2558015

OLB Haason Reddick Temple 6-1 237

[video=youtube;n-OJMFzyYCs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-OJMFzyYCs[/video]

Combine Results:
Height:6'1"
Weight:237
Arm:32 3/4
Hand:10 1/8
40 Yard Official:4.52
Bench:24
Vertical:36.5
Broad:133
3-Cone:7.01
S. Shuttle:4.37
60 Yard Shuttle:

Strengths Explosive, quick-twitch athlete. Great flexibility with loose hips to turn, twist, and chase. Excellent reactive quickness and change-of-direction agility. Dynamic playmaker in space. Locks onto targets and instantly accelerates to the ball. Finished 2016 regular season with 21.5 tackles for loss. Fluid mover around field. Has chase range over extended territory. Eyes work past blockers and into backfield. Slips and slides around the edge and through small creases. Always working feet into improved positioning after contact. Came in as a defensive back and has experience on all three levels. Has athleticism in space and necessary instincts to be legit cover talent as linebacker. Rushes with good bend and forward lean. Difficult to handle on tackle/end twists back inside. Turns corner with tight track to quarterback once he pries the edge open.
Weaknesses Undersized by NFL standards for position he's currently playing. Labors to disengage once size is on top of him. Will need more play strength to ward off NFL blockers. Improving with hands, but needs to continue technique work to control blockers. Lacks necessary bulk, length, and play strength to set a strong edge as an NFL 3-4 outside linebacker. Marginal speed-to-power ability. Connects and sticks to tackles when trying to bull-rush under their pads. Pass rush reliant upon athletic talent and cursory hand play. Needs more diversified rush plans. Slides off of too many tackles. Missed 16 tackles over final two seasons at Temple. Needs to chest-up and run feet through contact. Played in fewer than 70 percent of team's defensive snaps.
NFL Comparison Ryan Shazier
Bottom Line Injuries limited Reddick to just four games over last two years of high school, forcing him to walk on at Temple. The Owls staff helped him unlock his explosive athletic traits on the field, which resulted in three forced fumbles, 9.5 sacks and 21.5 tackles for loss in 2016. Reddick's speed and athleticism might give him a greater shot at impacting the game as a 3-4 inside linebacker or a 4-3 WILL rather than trying to bulk up and play the edge. An ascending prospect with a high-end potential if he can continue to hone his craft.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/haason-reddick?id=2557887

I think that Bolles is the real deal. Athletic, great feet, plays tough strong and nasty. First round pick.

Bolles is 1st RD pick, but he struggles to anchor against the bull rush, and he'll be 25 this year. He's outstanding pulling and a strong run blocker in general, but I think he'll struggle some in pass pro.

I mentioned more than once that I would look to the Pac 12 for value prospects, particularly defensively. That conference is flooded with talent. One of the great litmus tests in sports is to ask a college football fan what he thinks of the Pac 12. It's hilarious how many bar stool types will immediately condemn the league and call it soft, etc.

I had a nice bet on Washington as a small home chalk over Stanford this season. I didn't realize quite how good Washington was, but I knew Stanford was vulnerable given the garbage quarterbacking and bunched injuries at key positions.

That wager was secured at halftime. It was a Friday night isolated game. Joe Mathis was a big part of the physical onslaught. Stanford was so hopeless to block Mathis they kept changing blocking schemes and play calling to avoid him. Mathis is basically what Dion Jordan was supposed to be, but Dion Jordan never threatened to be. Quick savagery off the line and actual explosive athletic ability, not lanky make-believe blase. Mathis ruins more plays than the stats line ever gives him credit for. That's not always an admirable trait. Sometimes I thought he was more of a warrior or wrestler than football player, overly concerned with thrashing the man across from him instead of finding and stopping the ball carrier. Mathis by many accounts is a jerk off the field, although supposedly now turning his life around. That confrontational jerk attitude sometimes lends itself to that man-on-man attitude and not the Patriots style of simply doing your job.

Mathis is kind of like the Missouri kid but more physical and ruthless but not as polished as a finisher. Any team that somehow got both of those guys would be fun to watch in obvious passing downs.

I love scouting the Pac 12 for defensive players, because you know they've had the kitchen sink thrown at them. There are few players where you can't find video of them facing all kinds of offensive systems, routes, running games inside and out.

Also, very much agree with your point about "warrior" players. You get teams (and Washington definitely springs to mind) where defensively they are a pack of wolves. Within those teams, you get players who look like crazed head-hunters. It can be hard separating the individual from the pack (who is making who look good?) and even harder projecting success for guys whose athletic ability is somewhat masked by their huge appetite and destructive mentality. That said, I believe the majority of Husky players are legit. I have Baker as one of the top 25 players in the draft. Sidney Jones is really only limited by his frame. King the other corner also is a forgotten prospect with slot potential. And Vea next year will be highly sought after.

TCU is another team who in recent years have looked stellar on defense and yet few of their grads into the pros have stood out. Verrett really the lone star. A lot of it was just based on a mean attitude and a team ethic. Guys flying around and standding out on tape at college level. You really have to know the coaching to know the player. Utah is a team who play with that pack mentality also, but their coaching has a much better reputation for prepping pro players.

SS Eddie Jackson Alabama 6-0 201

[video=youtube;8qfeGBLRXHQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qfeGBLRXHQ[/video]

2nd Pro-Day March 29:
Height:6'0"
Weight:201
Arm:32 1/4
Hand:9 1/4
40 Yard Official:
Bench:10
Vertical:
Broad:
3-Cone:
S. Shuttle:
60 Yard Shuttle:

Personally, I think Jackson is wasted as a safety and should move back to boundary corner? He played that spot for Bama in 2014 then moved to safety. He clearly has good ball skills for a safety but he looks so much better when he’s in man coverage rather than in space.
He is a natural ballhawk and had a beautiful INT of Deshawn Watson in the title game where he baited him into throwing a pass right to him. And this is what’s so frustrating about watching the tape of him play in 2015: you know that he can make an INT if the ball is anywhere near him.
He has the eye for the ball, the speed, the acceleration and the ability to bait a quarterback into a bad throw. Most of his INTs came on this: he lurked and broke on the ball when the quarterback took the bait.
Whether it’s scheme(essentially playing as a coverage strong safety) or coaching(being told to not get beaten deep) his ballhawk skills go to waste because he’s playing too far back.
He needs to be closer up so that he can take a receiver and either use his speed/quickness to take them out of the play or to ballhawk. This is why I think he should move back to corner because as a corner, I have him as a 1st round talent.
A decent pro comparison might be Byron Jones. He was a safety/corner tweener who now has landed at free safety for the Cowboys.
I tend to think of Jackson as much more of a corner, but there’s serious draftniks out there who swear he should be a coverage strong safety. I think that this is wasting his talents-even in a Cover-2 system where he’d be asked to range from that spot.

Draft Grade: 3rd round as a safety
http://withthefirstpick.com/2016/08/31/2017-nfl-draft-eddie-jackson-scouting-report/

I love scouting the Pac 12 for defensive players, because you know they've had the kitchen sink thrown at them. There are few players where you can't find video of them facing all kinds of offensive systems, routes, running games inside and out.

Also, very much agree with your point about "warrior" players. You get teams (and Washington definitely springs to mind) where defensively they are a pack of wolves. Within those teams, you get players who look like crazed head-hunters. It can be hard separating the individual from the pack (who is making who look good?) and even harder projecting success for guys whose athletic ability is somewhat masked by their huge appetite and destructive mentality. That said, I believe the majority of Husky players are legit. I have Baker as one of the top 25 players in the draft. Sidney Jones is really only limited by his frame. King the other corner also is a forgotten prospect with slot potential. And Vea next year will be highly sought after.

TCU is another team who in recent years have looked stellar on defense and yet few of their grads into the pros have stood out. Verrett really the lone star. A lot of it was just based on a mean attitude and a team ethic. Guys flying around and standding out on tape at college level. You really have to know the coaching to know the player. Utah is a team who play with that pack mentality also, but their coaching has a much better reputation for prepping pro players.

I'm really curious to see what King and Baker do at the Combine. They each put up some ridiculous test scores prior to the 2016 season, and King has great length. I don't see King as a very good or instinctual CB, but if his Combine numbers looks anything like his UW numbers, someone will draft him early (2nd or 3rd) and develop him. Seattle seems like an obvious fit.

Back
Top Bottom