2020 DRAFT LAS VEGAS | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2020 DRAFT LAS VEGAS

I ran luxury hotels for 20 years. So, a little inside tip. For Vegas, if you can wait until the day of, Hotel Tonight is a great site and app where hotels put distressed inventory on in the day for the day. They usually list it starting at 2pm that day. it's a gutsy way to travel but you can get a hellacious deal on there. You can book for multiple nights when you book but for day one of your stay you can't book or even see rates until 2 pm.

Another tip is go to the hotel's website itself. They will honor Expedia and other third party rates so you get the same price but THEN the actual staff controls the reservation so getting an upgrade is way more likely.

Grease the front desk staff for an upgrade. It's really as simple as laying a $50 on the desk and telling them it's yours if you can get upgraded to a suite, penthouse, etc. When doing this, make sure you look at your bill at checkout though. Every once in a while, you'll run across an agent who will take your money but also jack your rate. if this happens, you just ask for the supervisor on the way out at check out and tell them you were offered a complimentary upgrade.

A simple $50 can get your room upgraded by $400 a night.

Tip housekeeping before you leave your room on last day. $5 a day for these people that never get tipped makes a huge deal to those people. They make peanuts.
Awesome tips Brother! I appreciate your sharing it... :up:

I've known a lot of people that have worked as housekeepers and if you really want them to get ur tip you need to hand it to them because odds are their boss is stealing their tips.

Ive never been to a NFL draft but a buddy of mine went last year to Nashville. He said it was OK experience but would rather watch it on TV because when you are there you cant hear the commentating or speculation. Youre just waiting for them to announce the picks. You also dont know a pick has been traded until right before the pick is in or when the announce the pick/trade.

Uh WOW. I did not expect such an awesome life hack on finheaven today. This is epic advice. I knew about the hotels tonight but the upgrade thing is genius. First time this works for me, Im buying Fin Loco VIP for a year.
It works. Aim for a non manager as they are salary and will often err in favor of the property standards. You're not breaking any rules but comp upgrade bounties are frowned on so try to be discreet. I can't tell you how many THOUSANDS of suites, penthouses etc each day go empty. They try to keep the churn out of them as they are larger and take longer to clean etc.

Definitely be more smooth than just laying a $50 on the table. Front desk clerks are technically not allowed to take tips for that at many of the hotels so when they ask for your idea have the money folded under it and ask them if there’s anything better available.

Definitely be more smooth than just laying a $50 on the table. Front desk clerks are technically not allowed to take tips for that at many of the hotels so when they ask for your idea have the money folded under it and ask them if there’s anything better available.
You need to be smooth but it's not like you're buying black tar heroin here.

You need to be smooth but it's not like you're buying black tar heroin here.
Wouldn’t know anything about that just know what I described is the standard way of getting an upgrade.

Wouldn’t know anything about that just know what I described is the standard way of getting an upgrade.
Right. So your contribution was to put the money under a paper. Thank you for that.

I've known a lot of people that have worked as housekeepers and if you really want them to get ur tip you need to hand it to them because odds are their boss is stealing their tips.
You can bring an envelope to the front desk at checkout and ask them to give it to housekeeping. It's not a perfect system as usually after you check out, the aide is the next person in the room that strips the beds and collects the trash and the towels. Usually that poor bastard has been accused of more thieving than Bernie Madoch and is borderline on suicide watch from getting yelled at all day by the housekeepers. Either way, leave a tip in the room or the front desk. They make pennies and an extra $20 a day takes them into the stratosphere.

More tip info is only give a valet a tip when they bring you your car. If you have the chance to self park over valet ALWAYS self park. Drop your lady off at the door and go park. I can tell you ghastly horror stories about valet parking and those came from a 5 star 5 diamond resort that had just been named the best hotel in the world for that year where I was a GM trainee. So, you can imagine what it's like at normal hotels and restaurants. From employees joy riding around town in a Ferrari with a 12 pack of heinekens, to speed records in concrete underground parking garages as well as many terminations for theft, just self park. Trust me.

Bellman tip should be $3 a bag moreso if the room was 8 miles from checkin.

If Concierge gets you a reservation at an amazing restaurant or great tickets take care of them accordingly. Sadly, concierge is going the way of the dodo due to smart phones but they are still there at the cream properties.

Be cognizant of the hotel's auto-gratuity policy. You might over tip otherwise. Many places have this as Europeans straight up do not tip. Don't get offended by it. You get better service because it's there as they aren't changing out personal all the time from servers quitting because they didn't get tipped.

Skycap at the airport checking in your bags $5 a bag. Seems like a lot but those guys can mess you up in ways you can't comprehend.

Do the same tip thing when checking in at airport to hopefully get upgraded to first class. It works.

I'd never stay at any hotel or motel that's more then 120 bucks for the night, but thanks for posting all this info for the dolfans that have that kind of money. On the other hand i'll pay 40/50 bucks for a great pizza.

I'd never stay at any hotel or motel that's more then 120 bucks for the night, but thanks for posting all this info for the dolfans that have that kind of money. On the other hand i'll pay 40/50 bucks for a great pizza.
As a second generation luxury hotel GM, I'm an apex hotel snob. But, I have the connections to be after doing it for so long and knowing th right people.

Right. So your contribution was to put the money under a paper. Thank you for that.
What’s your problem dude? I was trying to help people understand the proper way to handle this situation without looking like a blatant jackass who could potentially get a front desk clerk in trouble for accepting a bribe in exchange for an upgrade. Get your panties up out of your ass.

Back
Top Bottom