2022 Defense vs 2023 Defense (Without Ramsey) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2022 Defense vs 2023 Defense (Without Ramsey)

Fin_Frenzy_84

Starter
Reaction score
There’s no question Ramsey going down is a massive loss for our defense. All we can do now is hopefully he’ll be able to return by December.

We were a very competitive team most of last season when Tua was healthy even with a bad defense. So as long as our offense stays healthy this season, I don’t see why we can’t be competitive again this season even without Ramsey.

Is our current defense without Ramsey as bad as last year’s defense tho?

I personally think it’s a much more improved unit even without Ramsey as long as they can stay fairly healthy. We added a good amount of pieces to our defense outside of Ramsey in the offseason plus we’ll have several key defenders back from season ending injuries.

Let me start with the key defenders returning from an injury….

Emmanuel Ogbah

Brandon Jones

Nik Needham (Hopefully)

Trill Williams

Just having those guys back alone will be huge for our defense this season. That’s 3 players returning to our secondary that was destroyed by injuries last season which is massive. Plus Ogbah returning provides nice depth and a solid rotational player for our D-Line.

I also believe we added some nice pieces for our defense in free agency as well.

David Long is a HUGE upgrade at LB for us. Obviously he has injury issues as well but hopefully he can stay fairly healthy with us. We’ll see a massive improvement at LB this season when Long is on the field.

We also added a nice depth piece for our secondary and pass rush with DeShon Elliott and Malik Reed.

Elliott is an experienced starter that’s known for his strong tackling ability. Expect him to get a good amount of snaps even with Jones returning.

Malik Reed has been an inconsistent player so far in his career but he’s still fairly young and has played well before. Reed’s best season happened to be under Vic Fangio too.

Drafting Cam Smith in the 2nd round is most definitely a great pick now. He’s obviously unproven but he’s obviously talented and has enough potential to get drafted in the 2nd round so hopefully he can produce some as a rookie.

We also need to factor in the young defenders who are already good potentially taking another step as well. Like Wilkins, Phillips, Holland, and Kader….

And last but not least…. Replacing Josh a Boyer with Vic Fangio.

We were all extremely hype when Miami hired Vic Fangio during the offseason and expected our defense to improve with just that move alone. That happened before the Ramsey trade too.

Josh Boyer was awful. He was a Flores wannabe that was just trying to run the same defense with an injury plagued secondary.

Now we don’t have to worry about a clown coaching our defense up anymore since we added one of the top defensive minds in football….

So it’s not like we only added Ramsey to our defense. We added a good amount of players to our defense whether or not they’re starters or just depth pieces. I strongly feel our defense will be much more improved this season even without Ramsey as long as they don’t get destroyed with the injury bug.

Thoughts?

There’s no question Ramsey going down is a massive loss for our defense. All we can do now is hopefully he’ll be able to return by December.

We were a very competitive team most of last season when Tua was healthy even with a bad defense. So as long as our offense stays healthy this season, I don’t see why we can’t be competitive again this season even without Ramsey.

I personally think it’s a much more improved unit even without Ramsey as long as they can stay fairly healthy. We added a good amount of pieces to our defense outside of Ramsey in the offseason plus we’ll have several key defenders back from season ending injuries.

Emmanuel Ogbah

Brandon Jones

Nik Needham (Hopefully)

Trill Williams

Just having those guys back alone will be huge for our defense this season. That’s 3 players returning to our secondary that was destroyed by injuries last season which is massive. Plus Ogbah returning provides nice depth and a solid rotational player for our D-Line.

I also believe we added some nice pieces for our defense in free agency as well.

David Long is a HUGE upgrade at LB for us. Obviously he has injury issues as well but hopefully he can stay fairly healthy with us. We’ll see a massive improvement at LB this season when Long is on the field.

We also added a nice depth piece for our secondary and pass rush with DeShon Elliott and Malik Reed.

Elliott is an experienced starter that’s known for his strong tackling ability. Expect him to get a good amount of snaps even with Jones returning.

Malik Reed has been an inconsistent player so far in his career but he’s still fairly young and has played well before. Reed’s best season happened to be under Vic Fangio too.

Drafting Cam Smith in the 2nd round is most definitely a great pick now. He’s obviously unproven but he’s obviously talented and has enough potential to get drafted in the 2nd round so hopefully he can produce some as a rookie.

We also need to factor in the young defenders who are already good potentially taking another step as well. Like Wilkins, Phillips, Holland, and Kader….

We were all extremely hype when Miami hired Vic Fangio during the offseason and expected our defense to improve with just that move alone. That happened before the Ramsey trade too.

Josh Boyer was awful. He was a Flores wannabe that was just trying to run the same defense with an injury plagued secondary.

Now we don’t have to worry about a clown coaching our defense up anymore since we added one of the top defensive minds in football….

So it’s not like we only added Ramsey to our defense. We added a good amount of players to our defense whether or not they’re starters or just depth pieces. I strongly feel our defense will be much more improved this season even without Ramsey as long as they don’t get destroyed with the injury bug.

Thoughts?
Totally agree... the only real loss I see was Melvin Ingram, but I'll take a healthy Ogbah over Ingram every day and twice on Sunday. Then add Reed... i'll take that.
I still think we are a bit thin at ILB, but if Tindall takes a step forward, we could be a lot better there as well.

I think a lot of the defenses success is going to stem from the other side of the ball. Is the oline going to be able to keep Tua upright so he can sustain long scoring drives? Keeping our defense off the field and fresh.

Totally agree... the only real loss I see was Melvin Ingram, but I'll take a healthy Ogbah over Ingram every day and twice on Sunday. Then add Reed... i'll take that.
I still think we are a bit thin at ILB, but if Tindall takes a step forward, we could be a lot better there as well.
Absolutely agree. I’m honestly shocked Ingram is still a free agent. He played well for us

I think a lot of the defenses success is going to stem from the other side of the ball. Is the oline going to be able to keep Tua upright so he can sustain long scoring drives? Keeping our defense off the field and fresh.
That’s true too. Our offense was putting up points last season which was nice! We scored way too fast tho. We rarely had success moving the ball with shorter plays like that. I’m hoping McDaniel fixes that heading into year 2. I’m sure he knows what he needs to improve after year 1.

Better and better.

This is a much improved team from last year and as long as Tua doesn't get knocked out, they should make the playoffs. Ramsey will be back for the playoffs and that's what matters right now.

I don't understand the doom and gloom. Ramsey has always been a luxury for this team and it really sucks we can't have two #1 CBs for most of the season, but people fearing a lost season is ridiculous.

Emmanuel Ogbah

Brandon Jones

Nik Needham (Hopefully)

Trill Williams

Thoughts?
Fangio being the DC makes this year's defense way better than last year regardless of losing Ramsey. He is a huge upgrade over Boyer.

I'm not too sure about Ogbah because most of his sacks came from the scheme and he was not winning his one-on-one battles. Malik Reed might not even make the team if the Dolphins keep these 2 impressive rookies (Aubrey Miller & Mitchell Agude).

I'm not too sure about Ogbah because most of his sacks came from the scheme and he was not winning his one-on-one battles. Malik Reed might not even make the team if the Dolphins keep these 2 impressive rookies (Aubrey Miller & Mitchell Agude).

That is how good teams are developed.

Not by a lot of feint-hearted, whiney "Lemmings" who seem more motivated by fear rather than by planning and real football knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom