2023 Quarterback (Senior) | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2023 Quarterback (Senior)

Will Levis is very similar to Ryan Tannehill coming out of Texas A&M in terms of specific strengths and weaknesses - particularly in terms of lack of feel for pressure and identifying the free rushers.

Just with a little lower ceiling than Tannehill.
Also very similar in that he started a college season opener beyond his 23rd birthday. I just don't like that resume in a high pick, no matter what the player looks like. There are always going to be teams making sharper choices on either side, while you are getting suckered and settling.

Levis is going to be compared to Josh Allen and he is not Josh Allen.

But it would not shock me if he went ahead of Stroud.

NFL scouts are simply not high on Holton Ahlers - which is why all he got was a Hula Bowl invite, and wanted to see him earn an NFLPA invite. And they’ve seen copious amounts of him over the past 5 years.

He’s obviously the type of player that excels in an All-Star setting where he knows exactly what he’s going to see every snap due to the rules of defensive restrictions in an All-Star game [4 man front, no blitzing, single high coverage, etc.]

It’s against more complicated movements and defenses where scouts have seen Ahlers struggle too many times over his 5 year college career. He just doesn’t do anything remarkable and has a funky release.

However, I’ve always been slightly higher on him than the NFL. Which is why he’s listed here, and many of the other QB’s from those All-Star games are not. NFL scouts underrate Ahlers if they think he’s as bad as all those other QB’s they invited to the Hula Bowl and NFLPA game.

He’s a better football player than they are.

That’s all I’m saying.

UDFA is the best route for the Phins I think. Big arms and traits will be taken high, this an athletic profile draft for QBs at the top of the draft.
I like Sean Clifford from PSU rSr as UDFA for that third spot, maybe second in our QB room. I know he is not on the list but he had a good senior year. Then on the highlight you can see, there are throws from far hash to boundary, there are a lot of messy pocket throws, he navigates the pocket, there are roll out throws, he can scoot a bit, played in a major conference, good stats, good command. It's pretty good for a guy projected to go undrafted.
Even Tua struggled with some rollout throws last season and messy pocket. I think a QB like this would work for us. UDFA.

Chase Brice, also UDFA, had a really good year at Appalachian State. Timing quarterback, 1,2,3 shoot or run. So, passing is a bit predetermined, not much off schedule throws, but he makes good decision. Quick decisions are good. Accuracy is good.
Good size 6-2, 237. Has a good arm, he can go deep.
He does not have a good 19-minute sales pitch highlight video like Clifford that shows full repertoire of quarterbacking.: sneaks, designed runs, scrambles, navigating pocket, rolls outs, half roll outs, left and right, squaring the shoulders, timing, clean pocket throws, messy pocket throws, dump offs, screens, far hash, etc. I did not see everything, but he plays with good timing, placement, good production, good arm. Clemson recruit. UDFA. I like him also for out #3, potentially #2.

Adrian Martinez, NEB and KSU, a running QB 6-3 225, fifth year senior. Maybe he is what we need in UDFA. Just like Anthony Richardson or Justin Fields, he cannot run the offense, but he can run and has a big arm! We have Tua who can run the offense, but cannot run. Skyler cannot run the offense or run. And with Adrian Martinez we would be adding something we lack, a QB who cannot run the offense but can run and has a big arm. I would be okay with that. with complementing the QB room with a project running QB.

I'm a lot higher on Clayton Tune than the consensus. Feel like his combination of poise and ability are better than all the Sr QB's outside of Levis - with Levis's physical tools doing the heavy lifting.

Navigates the pocket - spreads the ball all over the field: deep outside, in traffic over the middle, and gets to his checkdown or uses his legs when appropriate. Generally, he puts the ball where it needs to be. He's elusive in the pocket and as a runner and has the speed to make the D pay for turning their backs.

B/B+ arm talent - in the range of someone like Geno Smith. Better than guys like Burrow and Mac Jones - not in the range of the top arms, though. His placement on downfield throws is what you want, though, and I saw examples of him putting far-hash throws on a line 20 yards down the field.

More than anything, I see a guy who consistently maximizes plays for the offense. Outside of Bryce Young and - maybe but not as consistently - Anthony Richardson, no other QB from this class has the combination of understanding and tools to maximize plays one after the other.

He shows the ability to hit his back foot and get the ball out on time and in rhythm and the ability to extend plays.

Imo like most years, most of the non-top QB's are feeble. You turn a game on, and you see the ball drip out of their hand, and you know right away that they're longshots to last as backups. You see 300 lb DL run as fast as them, and you know they have a steep, uphill climb.

Very curious to see where he ends up.

What is everyone's thoughts on Dorrian Thompson-Robinson?
A lot of starting experience and he has arm talent, but he seems to decide where he's going pre-snap a lot.
He had a brutal INT against USC on the final drive this year.

Back
Top Bottom