2023 Wide Receiver (Underclassman) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2023 Wide Receiver (Underclassman)

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
1. Quentin Johnston / TCU / 6’3”, 208

2. Jaxon Smith-Njigba / Ohio St. / 6’0”, 196

3. Jalin Hyatt / Tennessee / 6'0", 176 (s/r)

4. Marvin Mims / Oklahoma / 5’11”, 183 (s/r)

5. Kayshon Boutte / LSU / 5’11”, 195

6. Jordan Addison / USC / 5’11”, 173 (s/r)

7. Josh Downs / N. Carolina / 5’9”, 171 (s/r)

8. Damario Douglas / Liberty / 5’8”, 179 (s/r)

9. Grant Dubose / Charlotte / 6’2”, 201

10. Dontayvion Wicks / Virginia / 6’1”, 206

11. Rakim Jarrett / Maryland / 6’0”, 192

12. Parker Washington / Penn St. / 5’10”, 204 (s/r)

13. Jadon Haselwood / Arkansas / 6’2”, 215

14. Tyler Scott / Cincinnati / 5’10”, 177 (s/r)

15. Nathaniel Dell / Houston / 5’8”, 165 (s/r)

16. Puka Nacua / BYU / 6’2”, 201

Last edited:
Really appreciate you doing this. When you get a chance, can you do a "summary" for Boutte. Never really heard his name before but he was a big time recruit evidently. Also, I guess he got hurt last year but had 8 TDs in 6 games last year. Again, thank you very much for doing this.

Really appreciate you doing this. When you get a chance, can you do a "summary" for Boutte. Never really heard his name before but he was a big time recruit evidently. Also, I guess he got hurt last year but had 8 TDs in 6 games last year. Again, thank you very much for doing this.

Absolutely. You pretty much just nailed the summary. Big time recruit. Got hurt last year after a monster first 5 games. He really scored 8 TD’s in the first 5 games.

Alabama was after him hard coming out of high school. He almost chose Alabama but ultimately decided to stay home.

Almost transferred to Alabama a few months ago but LSU got right on the NIL deal. Good job by them to keep him. Elite talent.

He’s got a lot of Ja’Marr Chase attributes. You just kinda have to see him play.

Absolutely. You pretty much just nailed the summary. Big time recruit. Got hurt last year after a monster first 5 games. He really scored 8 TD’s in the first 5 games.

Alabama was after him hard coming out of high school. He almost chose Alabama but ultimately decided to stay home.

Almost transferred to Alabama a few months ago but LSU got right on the NIL deal. Good job by them to keep him. Elite talent.

He’s got a lot of Ja’Marr Chase attributes. You just kinda have to see him play.

His burst and big-play ability are different from Smith-Njigba, who is excellent in his own right/way.

Does feel like they're the clear top 2, but Addison is really nice.

His burst and big-play ability are different from Smith-Njigba, who is excellent in his own right/way.

Does feel like they're the clear top 2, but Addison is really nice.

Right on. Boutte is just a different caliber athlete than JSN. Boutte is truly an elite athlete. Significantly faster and more explosive. More physicality.

JSN has incredible COD and ability to separate. It’s his strongest attribute. He’ll murder the 3-cone and short shuttle.

Boutte is just all that, but with more speed, explosiveness and physicality.

Hey Slimm

Have you been watching any of Johnny Wilson at FSU? Unfortunately for my alma mater i think him and Jared Verse are as good as gone after the season.

Hey Slimm

Have you been watching any of Johnny Wilson at FSU? Unfortunately for my alma mater i think him and Jared Verse are as good as gone after the season.

Yeah but not real sure what to think about him as a true WR. I think he’s going to end up a TE. More of a Gesicki type than a true TE.

Jared Verse is a player though.

Right on. Boutte is just a different caliber athlete than JSN. Boutte is truly an elite athlete. Significantly faster and more explosive. More physicality.

JSN has incredible COD and ability to separate. It’s his strongest attribute. He’ll murder the 3-cone and short shuttle.

Boutte is just all that, but with more speed, explosiveness and physicality.
What is going on with Boutte at LSU?

Another game today where they hardly look his way and he seems to be coasting through his routes. :shrug:

What is going on with Boutte at LSU?

Another game today where they hardly look his way and he seems to be coasting through his routes. :shrug:

It’s a few things.

First, the quarterback is terrible and Boutte knows it. He doesn’t even begin his read on the correct side of the field half the time. He doesn’t understand concepts. All he knows how to do is scramble and too many plays just turn into scramble drills.

Secondly, Boutte hasn’t bought in to the new coaching staff and what Brian Kelly is selling. I’m not sure I buy it either.

Third, he’s still trying to work back from the season ending injury last year.

Lastly, Boutte was trying to transfer to Alabama in the off-season. Something happened that caused him to stay at LSU and he’s not happy about it. I’ll let you guess what that was.

The kid should have transferred that is for sure.

It will be interesting to see how the Draft boards treat him if he has basically a no show season and then enters the Draft.

If he slides he could be a mega steal for someone.

The Underclassman WR class has probably had the most disappointing year out of all position groups.

JSN has been injured, Boutte’s issues, Tyler Harrell still hasn’t played this season due to a foot injury, etc.

The biggest mover in this group has been Jalin Hyatt. Rome Odunze is probably next.

Quentin Johnson had a big day yesterday against Kansas, but he still tends to fight the football when he catches it.

The biggest differences between Smitty and Jalin Hyatt are two things:

When Jaylen Waddle got injured, Smitty proved he was dynamic enough on special teams to replace Waddle as the punt returner. Hyatt doesn’t play special teams or return punts.

But the most important thing is Smitty proved he could defeat press coverage and win off the line of scrimmage.

Hyatt has yet to do that because what they like to do is line him up off the LOS in stack formations to get him free released. Secondly, the wide splits and stack formation allows Hyatt and the other receiver in the stack to switch release - an old Run-N-Shoot staple.

When they switch release, the corners have to switch also - which gets Hyatt matched up on the flat or slot defender. Usually a safety that can’t run with him, or the defense’s #3 cornerback.

Teams will want to see Hyatt demonstrate that he can win off the LOS and defeat press coverage against the opposition’s top legitimate NFL cornerbacks. But they’ll have to wait until All-Star games or the combine in order to see it.

Back
Top Bottom