2024 Miami Dolphins Cap Compliance - Long | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2024 Miami Dolphins Cap Compliance - Long

The strategy part at the end is a bit scary

If they don't stick the landing we will be starting all over again in a few years
Soft Landing! Jerome Grier!

Crypto Bitcoin GIF by :::Crypto Memes:::

Very good read thanks @Stoobz

Now the interesting part is what does Weaver have to say about the players he likes from our current D.
Wilkins, Og, Baker, Howard etc keep or cut will play a massive role in how our cap will look going forward.
Well, I'm sure he will have an opportunity to voice his opinion, but he also surely realizes that the die has already been cast to a large extent.

That's not to say that there aren't variables, but I have to think there is already an overarching plan in place.

Teams don't do cap management projections by the seat of their pants, or one year at a time.

Great read. Love the breakdowns.

He made it sound like kicking the can down the road with a bunch of back loaded contracts is almost unavoidable moving forward. Is that true? I hope that's not the case.
It is avoidable, but the alternatives are start another rebuild, which would be the quick way to reset the cap, or resolve yourself to mediocrity for several years to more slowly get the cap in order but avoid the losing seasons involved with a tear down scenario.

I have to believe if the Grier/McD/Tua triumvirate fails to field a legit playoff run in the next couple of years, all will be gone.

Pick your poison.

Great read. Love the breakdowns.

He made it sound like kicking the can down the road with a bunch of back loaded contracts is almost unavoidable moving forward. Is that true? I hope that's not the case.

It is but as he explained it’s really until 2026 then after that it’s pretty much a start over period as just about every high contract will be up including Seiler and Jackson. Pretty much only contracts we’ll have is whoever we sign from now on ie Tua/Holland/Waddle/Phillips and guys like Tua might be well into guaranteed money by then and can probably move on within a year or two. Don’t forget we’ll have an additional 60 million as cap raises 20 million per year for the next 3 years, an unprecedented number. There’s never been a better time in history to kick the can down the road. Grier may be questionable but the structures of his contracts have been some of the best in the league.

It is but as he explained it’s really until 2026 then after that it’s pretty much a start over period as just about every high contract will be up including Seiler and Jackson. Pretty much only contracts we’ll have is whoever we sign from now on ie Tua/Holland/Waddle/Phillips and guys like Tua might be well into guaranteed money by then and can probably move on within a year or two. Don’t forget we’ll have an additional 60 million as cap raises 20 million per year for the next 3 years, an unprecedented number. There’s never been a better time in history to kick the can down the road. Grier may be questionable but the structures of his contracts have been some of the best in the league.
I don't think the rising cap is as beneficial as it might first appear. Yes, it increases and substantially so, but by the way the contract between owners and the union is structured, the owners must spend that money on a finite number of players. That, by definition, means salaries rise exactly proportionally.

Sure, it helps to some small extent with contracts already in existence in the short term, but it isn't the panacea that will solve everything.

Future contracts both for rookie deals, but more substantially FAs with rise at the same rate as the cap increases.

One doesn't need a master's degree in economics to see how the mechanism works.

After reading this, it doesn't seem that dealing with the cap is as daunting a task as I previously thought. A couple of post-read thoughts:

1. Wilkins will not be a Dolphin. He stays a Dolphins only if feels that living in Miami is better than "x" and if the pay difference is minimal. Otherwise, he is moving on.
2. Armstead retiring doesn't really help as much as hoped. We would need his replacement and then his backup.
3. We need more draft picks.
4. We need to hit on our draft picks.
5. Tindall and Smith must produce.
6. Chubb and Phillips need a miraculous recovery (a little like Ramsey)

Back
Top Bottom