3rd and 4th Wr's | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3rd and 4th Wr's

PhinSoldia

Miami Dolphin Columnist in the Making
Reaction score
Can anybody shed some light as to who can be our possible 3rd and 4th, or who should be the 3rd and 4th recievers.:confused:

I would guess that it would be either Thompson or Minnis depending on sverela points. First is if another wr becomes available and if we make a move. Second would be if CC moves into the slot. Thompson has to be the most logical choice at this point. I think he will be better. Between Spielman and another year in the system he would be servicable as #3.

Right now, I think it's wide open. Derrius Thompson is listed there on the depth chart. But, there are a slew of others who have every opportunity to get there.

Here's a run-down:

Kendall Newson - 6-1, 197 - seems to have some good tools: decent size, quickness, and performs well in practice, but hasn't gotten it done on the field.

Sam Simmons - 5-9, 203 - probably the quickest and has played the best in games. Smallish, but stout. Also adds dimension as a returner, but the jury is still out.

J.R. Tolver - 6'1, 202 - a pass catching machine at SDSU, and has potential to be a good possession WR, but lacks speed and despite a decent showing in training camp last season - the injury hurt him. Lot's of people like him b/c of his college production, and reputation for good hands, but he needs to show it in games.

Terrance Wilkins - 5-10, 180 - great returnman with good speed and quickness a few years ago, but skills seem to have diminished. He would have to make a big comeback to be in the mix.

"Snoop" Minnis - 6'1, 170 - another good college player who showed some talent at KC, but never played consistently. Lacks speed that many ex-FSU WR's have had. This may be his last shot. But, he has as good a shot as the rest if he performs.

The rest (Carl Morris, Nick Davis, Ron Bellamy) would have to really shine to make it. They are basically training camp fodder, though Bellamy has made some plays in past years.

Bobby Sippio is the latest addition to the mix. He will have a tough time given his lack of knowledge in the offense, but he evidently has some speed and size and was productive in the Arena league. Originally came out of college as primarily a DB, but I think they'll look at him as a WR - given our strength at one spot (CB) and weakness at the other (WR).

My honest opinion will have to be Derrius Thompson and Terance Wilkins or Sam Simmons. Newson has shown that he closes up on the field. and J.R. is who I like doesnt display the quickness necessary to be consistantly...I watched a game this summer with Carl Morris in NFLEL where he dropped 3 passes one of them was wide open. so he is out of the picture. I hope to see more 3 and 4 WR spreads so that we could spread defences to get Ricky some running room. I would love to see Konrad catch more out of the Backfield because he has great hands and Ricky could put up Marshall Faulk like numbers if we spread the field

Thompson will be the number three which should be a role better suited for him. Our number 4 will be Kendall Newsom and our 5th reciever will be Sam Simmons. I think Simmons ability to return pushes him over Minnis and Tolver and being a good fit for the slot. I think Newsom will be part of the 8 deactivated players on game day. I think since Newsom has some experience returning kicks/punts he can make it over Snoop as well.

Given what we're hearing out of camp, everyone is saying Thompson will be the #3 WR. Spielman, Wannstedt, and Sullivan have all said that Thompson is the leader, but barely. No one else has stepped up, which is why the Dolphins keep bringing in WR's to look at.

I think the general consensus is that Thompson can never be a good starting WR, but he can be a decent #3, because of his size. Hopefully, with Sullivan's help, he'll be much improved from last year. My biggest concern is what happens if Boston or Chambers goes down. We have no depth after those guys.

Fan 57 you are right,the talent drop is to high, there should at least one receiver challanging for number 2 not all of these guys trying to make the team as number 3.
We better pray that DT shows up at the level he was expect to play when he was signed otherwise the poo poo will hit the fan.
maybe drafting a receiver might have been a good idea,I'm not second guessing but.

Will we even use any 4 WR packages?
Our 3rd best receiver (maybe 2nd) is TE McMichael. IMO I don't think any of those WR's are good enough to warrant taking him out even on the longest of 3rd and longs.

Esh that's a good point, but you still would like to see more deph with the receivers.
A competitive 3 punch combo not a bunch of bums like what we have after the first two.

I would really like to see J.R Tolver step up and become the #3 reciever on the team. People have said nothing but good things about him so what's the deal is he actually good or what?

I think Thompson will do great this year. 4th wr is going to be a interesting battle.

Havnt you heard ?.While the rest of the league are going to 4,5 WRs sets to take advantage of new rules,our coach will stick to 3 WR sets (Sometimes also two TEs sets).

I'm pulling for someone else besides Thompson for 3rd receiver..Why ? I dont want to see CC playing the slot while Thompson plays WR.Thats the plan because no one we have has shown he can be a slot receiver.(PK Sam would have been a good one).

Quite frankly I dont see anyone we have to take the 3rd slot receiver.Maybe thats one reason they acquired Sippio from the Arena league.

We will play alot of two TE sets(with Lee looking good now), so dont count on many 4 reciver sets. I think DT will b a not great, but solid #3.

Back
Top Bottom