6 quarterbacks are looking to be the next Dak Prescott at the 2017 Senior Bowl | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

6 quarterbacks are looking to be the next Dak Prescott at the 2017 Senior Bowl

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
496147084.0.jpg

MOBILE, Ala. — The 2016 Senior Bowl featured the No. 2 overall selection Carson Wentz, and eventual rookie sensation Dak Prescott among the quarterbacks. It would be a surprise if the passers on the 2017 roster produced nearly as much fanfare.

While the six quarterbacks who will perform for NFL talent evaluators at the 2017 Senior Bowl have plenty of experience under center, it’s an unheralded group that doesn’t feature several of the most highly-touted passers of the draft class — including Mitch Trubisky, Deshaun Watson, and DeShone Kizer.
“Last year, we invited eight quarterbacks and ultimately 15 were chosen in the draft,” Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage said on Monday. “It was a very deep class. This year there’s probably more debate about who really is the best quarterback and how they really shake out.”
While Watson was one of the few juniors invited to the 2017 Senior Bowl, the Clemson quarterback declined even after Savage asked the Cleveland Browns coaching staff to reach out to him about the merits of playing in the game.

Cleveland’s South Team roster will instead have Davis Webb of California, Joshua Dobbs of Tennessee, and Antonio Pipkin of Division II’s Tiffin University. The North Team — coached by the Chicago Bears — will have Nate Peterman of Pittsburgh, Sefo Liufau of Colorado, and C.J. Beathard of Iowa.
But without the big name quarterbacks, Savage singled out Peterman and Webb as players who could shine during the week. But he also said the quarterback position is the most difficult to scout in football and has a tendency to be unpredictable.
http://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/24/1...terback-nate-peterman-davis-webb-joshua-dobbs

I wouldn't be against taking Webb in the middle rounds.

Yeah, an example like Prescott shows up every 10 or 15 years so logically there will be 2 in succession. I like that way of thinking. It reminds me of the 1974 Kentucky Derby when everyone was desperate for another Secretariat so 24 horses were allowed to pile into the starting gates. It led to a terrible race with a cow final time of 2:04 and the best horse Little Current blocked from all opportunity.

None of these guys have the touch or decision making of Prescott. He looked great in his bowl game against North Carolina State and very good in the Senior Bowl. I was slow to catch up on him but at least I had a sense he was quite underrated and posted that. The guys they are trying to force this season are not close to him, specifically tunnel vision Dobbs with the line drive reliance.

If I had to pick one of these guys as a later bargain it would be C.J. Beathard of Iowa. Not an exciting prospect but he's probably underrated. Entering the season he was quite highly rated by some scouts. He won a ton of games with Iowa in 2015 along with 7.8 YPA and a 17-5 touchdown/interception ratio. His arm is above average, he can make a variety of throws, good athlete, and he's one of the few collegiate quarterbacks who is plug and play in a pro style offense due to taking snaps from center in a traditional old school offense.

In 2016 Beathard's numbers slumped when his supporting cast was considerably worse than a year earlier, and especially at wide receiver. He had injury problems that he tried to play through. So his results declined considerably along with his draft grade. Per usual, I prefer to remember the earlier consensus and not go overboard toward late indications.

Beathard reminds me somewhat of Jeff Hostetler, to summon an old West Virginia and New York Giants name. Same shoulders and mechanics and arm. Beathard is not quite as athletic and his pocket instincts need work. He's a bit stiff.

Probably a high level backup or low level starter. Enough talent to work with, considering where he'll likely be drafted, in rounds 5-7.

I certainly prefer a major college looksee above all the desperate attempts to find someone from a smaller school. Doesn't make sense. The premier programs get dozens of top rated guys out of high school. Naturally some of them will perform less than their best in college, for whatever reason.

Back
Top Bottom