7 Dolphins Make PFF All-AFC East Team | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

7 Dolphins Make PFF All-AFC East Team

What happened to Vernon after the fast start? Looked like he was going to be a force and then he dropped off the radar and was not seen again all season.

What happened to Vernon after the fast start? Looked like he was going to be a force and then he dropped off the radar and was not seen again all season.

His pass rush suffered but he grew as a standing OLB. When asked to drop into coverage, he had actually a couple passes deflected and managed to not embarrass himself. Combine that with this:

Special Teamer: Olivier Vernon (MIA)
[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Vernon made plays in all phases of special team play in 2012.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]And you're seeing a guy that will stick on this team for years. If he finds that extra gear to make the push to "good" pass rusher, then he's becoming a solid all around player. Those aren't as sexy as the one trick ponies like Aldon Smith and the Seattle Seahawk 3rd down pass rusher (because they get tons of sacks) but there's a lot of hidden value in guys like Vernon.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Honestly, he was a fantastic pickup in the 3rd for Jeff Ireland thus far. I expect to see him improve his pass defense, stay about the same with run defense (7.5/10, I'd grade him) and slightly increase his pass rush. He seems to working on the shoulder dip more than just the club/spin that he came into the league doing. It just so happens that Cameron Wake is the best in the NFL at the shoulder dip, so... you tell me... is Vernon learning from watching Wake? That's a great sign if true. If he can end 2013 with 6-8 sacks, good pass defense, and a positive run stopping grade, then you have to love the development you're seeing.[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom