7 round realistic mock draft with analysis. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

7 round realistic mock draft with analysis.

normaniii

Active Roster
Reaction score
This draft takes into consideration, need, system fit and players who fit the high character requirements of both Philbin and Hickey.

1 - Joel Bitonio OT Nevada - This is a 'need' pick. I would have handled FA differently so that we would have gone into draft requiring a strength of round 1, DT. I would not have signed Earl Michell and made both Tackle spots a priority. This would have left us choosing from, Donald, Hageman, Jernigan & Nix. But here we stand 'needing' a RT. IMO Zach Martin will be gone. Mayock has already stated he will likely be gone from 9-13. Kouandijio whom I like has injury concerns, while I worry about Morgan Moses in a pass orientated ZBS. The best player to fill this need in my mind is Joel Bitonio. Smart, tough, physical, quick, has everything bar the size & strength of other OT's. His size has projected many to view him as OG, but IMO he fits perfectly into what Benton requires from an OT. Both Eric Winston & Ryan Harris who manned the RT spot in Houston were both only 302 lbs, exactly the same as Bitonio.

2 - Carlos Hyde RB Ohio State - Big Strong powerful RB. Major issue last year was completing short yardage. Hyde would remedy this and provide a perfect alternative to Moreno and Miller. Also, looking forward to 2015 he would be ideal to step into starting role.

3 - Jarvis Landry WR LSU - Again has dropped due to poor combine, but fits what Philbin loves perfectly. Good route runner, strong hands, plays bigger than his frame, strong after catch, willing blocker, my favourite value guy in draft.

4 - Dave Yankey OG Stanford - Was considered a high 2nd round pick before an awful combine. IMO he would be ideal for Bentons ZBS. Tough, intelligent, with a high motor.

5 - Antone Exum CB Virginia Tech - Dropped due to injury and many feel he would have to convert to safety. Best in Zone coverage, has excellent size and a very good tackler.

6 - Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma - Excels in off man and zone coverage but struggles in press. Fits Coyles system. Has dropped due to tearing his ACL and lacking top end speed. Could convert to safety.

7 - Chris Watt OG Notre Dame - Tough, intelligent interior lineman with an excellent motor. Lacks any 'stand out' traits but does everything well. Ideal for Benton in a ZBS.

A little high for him, but if the big 4 are gone....the next 3 are all on the same level and Bitonio is in that group.

Yankey is a pure Power/man scheme lineman, looks to struggle in the ZBS

Watt would be a steal in the 7th and would rather draft him at the position that you have Yankey...it is closer to his value

If Jeremy Hill is gone I would be ok with Hyde...

I would be ok taking Bitonio in the 2nd round if we trade down and get an extra 2nd round pick.

I think you take Bitonio early and several others late. I'm not sure how realistic it is, probably not much different than most mocks. Who the heck knows? Last year I saw guys like Markus Wheaton mocked in the 2nd round only to see him sit.

Im not a fan of hyde, I would much rather have hill or sankey with hyde being third

I think you take Bitonio early and several others late. I'm not sure how realistic it is, probably not much different than most mocks. Who the heck knows? Last year I saw guys like Markus Wheaton mocked in the 2nd round only to see him sit.

I agree Bitonio a reach but IMO he would be the BPA to help 2014. I do think tough that all can be had in this draft.

This draft takes into consideration, need, system fit and players who fit the high character requirements of both Philbin and Hickey.

1 - Joel Bitonio OT Nevada - This is a 'need' pick. I would have handled FA differently so that we would have gone into draft requiring a strength of round 1, DT. I would not have signed Earl Michell and made both Tackle spots a priority. This would have left us choosing from, Donald, Hageman, Jernigan & Nix. But here we stand 'needing' a RT. IMO Zach Martin will be gone. Mayock has already stated he will likely be gone from 9-13. Kouandijio whom I like has injury concerns, while I worry about Morgan Moses in a pass orientated ZBS. The best player to fill this need in my mind is Joel Bitonio. Smart, tough, physical, quick, has everything bar the size & strength of other OT's. His size has projected many to view him as OG, but IMO he fits perfectly into what Benton requires from an OT. Both Eric Winston & Ryan Harris who manned the RT spot in Houston were both only 302 lbs, exactly the same as Bitonio.

2 - Carlos Hyde RB Ohio State - Big Strong powerful RB. Major issue last year was completing short yardage. Hyde would remedy this and provide a perfect alternative to Moreno and Miller. Also, looking forward to 2015 he would be ideal to step into starting role.

3 - Jarvis Landry WR LSU - Again has dropped due to poor combine, but fits what Philbin loves perfectly. Good route runner, strong hands, plays bigger than his frame, strong after catch, willing blocker, my favourite value guy in draft.

4 - Dave Yankey OG Stanford - Was considered a high 2nd round pick before an awful combine. IMO he would be ideal for Bentons ZBS. Tough, intelligent, with a high motor.

5 - Antone Exum CB Virginia Tech - Dropped due to injury and many feel he would have to convert to safety. Best in Zone coverage, has excellent size and a very good tackler.

6 - Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma - Excels in off man and zone coverage but struggles in press. Fits Coyles system. Has dropped due to tearing his ACL and lacking top end speed. Could convert to safety.

7 - Chris Watt OG Notre Dame - Tough, intelligent interior lineman with an excellent motor. Lacks any 'stand out' traits but does everything well. Ideal for Benton in a ZBS.

I like Bitonio but taking him at #19 seems desperate. I would take BPA at OL, ILB, WR. That means we would probably draft Mosely or one of the WR's like Cooks. I would take Bitonio in either the 2nd-3rd round. I thin k he will still be there.
I like Hyde in the 2nd round, but with us picking in the 19th spot, I think he will be gone. Assuming we skip the oline and Mosely is gone at 19, and we selected a WR, I would hope that Chris borland is the pick in the 2nd.. If Hyde is there, we take him absolutely.
After the Martin fiasco, I would boycott Stanford for a few years. Those guys strike me as too mamby pamby.
I like Chris Watt, but we will probably have to draft him in the 6th to get him.
Why is CB such a need this year? We drafted 2 last year, plus we have Grimes and other veterans. We need WR's with all the injury concerns and replacements for Wheeler and Ellerbee who are not playing to their price tag.

Draft picks:
1. Brandon Cooks - WR
2. Chris Borland - ILB
3. Cyril Richardson- OG
4. Robert Herron - WR
5 Storm Johnson - RB
6. Justin Britt - OT
7. Sentreal Henderson - OT

I like Bitonio but taking him at #19 seems desperate. I would take BPA at OL, ILB, WR. That means we would probably draft Mosely or one of the WR's like Cooks. I would take Bitonio in either the 2nd-3rd round. I thin k he will still be there.
I like Hyde in the 2nd round, but with us picking in the 19th spot, I think he will be gone. Assuming we skip the oline and Mosely is gone at 19, and we selected a WR, I would hope that Chris borland is the pick in the 2nd.. If Hyde is there, we take him absolutely.
After the Martin fiasco, I would boycott Stanford for a few years. Those guys strike me as too mamby pamby.
I like Chris Watt, but we will probably have to draft him in the 6th to get him.
Why is CB such a need this year? We drafted 2 last year, plus we have Grimes and other veterans. We need WR's with all the injury concerns and replacements for Wheeler and Ellerbee who are not playing to their price tag.

Draft picks:
1. Brandon Cooks - WR
2. Chris Borland - ILB
3. Cyril Richardson- OG
4. Robert Herron - WR
5 Storm Johnson - RB
6. Justin Britt - OT
7. Sentreal Henderson - OT

I actually like your draft. Ideally I would trade down a few spots and stil take Bitonio.

CB's. IMO they are the BPA and can possibly convert to safety too. In today's NFL I think that's ideal.

Exum gone before the 5th, would rather have WR Coleman, from Rutgers in the 5th, love Colvin in the 6th

Exum gone before the 5th, would rather have WR Coleman, from Rutgers in the 5th, love Colvin in the 6th

Not sure about Exum going before 5th with his injury and deep CB class but I do agree he could be. I also feel though we could trade down for Bitonio and the work the board to get who we want

Who says the #1 need must be addressed with the #1 pick?

I don't buy that kind of thinking.

Back
Top Bottom