8/9 Training Camp Recap. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

8/9 Training Camp Recap.

(Sarcasm) I wouldnt be shocked if Tony doesnt atleast try out Sheets as a returner, its way too obvious for him. Come on everyone knows Bess semi ok speed is a much better option as a returner then Sheets electic quick speed.
SMH
Chubbs

I've seen a lot of players get overrated and blown up into legends around here... Kory Sheets and Polite are right up there with the best of 'em...

I said Nic Grigsby was the end of Kory Sheets the day he was signed... they need to give Polite's job to Charles Clay and move the hell on.

Never been impressed with Polite. Sure he had a lot of 3rd and 4th down conversions but the guy can't catch or block well.

Never been impressed with Polite. Sure he had a lot of 3rd and 4th down conversions but the guy can't catch or block well.
Agreed, same here. I havent seen it with my own eyes yet but if Clay can block as good as polite he is a huge uprade athletically at FB.

TE's and FB's have always been 2 of my favorite offensive weapons in Football. I love watching offenses shred up defenses with them. I also think the FB position has been really under utilized as a receiving threat for the last 7-10 years in the league.

Hence why I am so excited to see Clay play and very curious if Daboll and Tony will really use his full potential or ruin it by having him just block 95% of the time and throw his way seldomly.
Chubbs

Haha as well thought out as that was, you miss the point. You say on one hand it is so important to avoid 3rd and long situations. But you ignore a key asset for the 3rd and short situations that you emphasize as important. Assuming we have such luck and avoid those 3rd and long situations, dont you want a proven guy who can get you that needed yard? Especially in a game where inches are so important? I agree that clay is a better 1st and 2nd down back. I disagree that picking up short yardage is only attributable to the oline. And I add that there is nothing more devastating to a defense that needs to stay off the field than an offense that fails to convert. If we end up in short yard situations, I'll take the guy that's going to keep my defense on the sideline 100% of the time, as opposed to a guy who might convert 50%, or even 75.

If your argument is that Clay needs to stay on the roster, I completely agree. Pencil him in as a hybrid te/fb and get rid of some of the useless tightends we have

Haha as well thought out as that was, you miss the point. You say on one hand it is so important to avoid 3rd and long situations. But you ignore a key asset for the 3rd and short situations that you emphasize as important. Assuming we have such luck and avoid those 3rd and long situations, dont you want a proven guy who can get you that needed yard? Especially in a game where inches are so important? I agree that clay is a better 1st and 2nd down back. I disagree that picking up short yardage is only attributable to the oline. And I add that there is nothing more devastating to a defense that needs to stay off the field than an offense that fails to convert. If we end up in short yard situations, I'll take the guy that's going to keep my defense on the sideline 100% of the time, as opposed to a guy who might convert 50%, or even 75.

If your argument is that Clay needs to stay on the roster, I completely agree. Pencil him in as a hybrid te/fb and get rid of some of the useless tightends we have

I'm not missing the point... I made one. Which was to make it clear how irrelevant and overrated the entire message board myth of the importance of Polite converting 3rd and 1 is to begin with. It's not going to make an offense better. Polite or anybody else can convert every 3rd and 1 he ever tries, but it doesn't matter when you're only going to end up kicking field goals anyway.

Secondly, I didn't emphasize how important 3rd and short situations are, I'm not even sure how you came up with that. I emphasized that the most critical factor in converting short yardage situations is the push by the interior of the offensive line. It's about who gets lower. Disagree with it to your hearts content... but I'm not guessing, I know it for a fact.

Furthermore, avoiding 3rd and long situations isn't about being lucky, it's about being more efficient on 1st and 2nd down. Converting 3rd and long situations is about quarterback play.

Keeping the defense on the sideline by converting 3rd and 1 isn't as important to winning games as scoring touchdowns is. Staying out of 3rd and long situations, and/or converting them at a higher percentage is what championship caliber teams do. They're not championship caliber teams because they have some fullback on the roster who's good at falling forward for a half-yard on 3rd and 1.

Ignore it. Spin it. "And", "but" it all you want. Lousaka "message board myth" Polite isn't the key to this offense ever being successful... period.

Back
Top Bottom