A few quick questions... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A few quick questions...

Dolphins Own

Dolphins fan since 2002
Reaction score
Okay I am just starting to start following college football. I was wondering if someone can explain to me how the post season works. I pretty much figured out the regular season, I just don't get the post-season. Can someone explain to me exactly what the bowls are, how they pick teams, etc.

This will take me a while, but i'll explain it to you little by little

Basically, a team must have atleast 6 wins during the regular season to get into a bowl game. There are tons of bowl games. over 10 i believe. Then for certain conferences such as the Big East, SEC, ACC and such. The winner of there confrence automaticlly gets a BCS bowl bid. And what if teams are tied at the end you may ask. Most confrences usually have divisions. Take the ACC for instance (Atlantic Coast Confrence) there are 6 teams i believe in 2 divisions of the acc (Costal division has 6 teams) and (Atlantic divison has 6 teams) if there is a tie, they play for the Whole prize and play the winner of the other divison, and that winner gets to play in a bcs game.

and there are 5 BCS games. 4 BCS games, and then a National Championship BCS game which usually the 2 top ranked teams such as #1 ohio state vs. #2 florida will play in. Then the other 4 games are for the BIG EAST, ACC ....etc.. champions to play in

A bowl game is a post-season college football game, typically at the Division I-A level. The first bowl game was the 1902 Rose Bowl, played between Michigan and Stanford; Michigan won 49-0. The term originates from the shape of the stadium in Pasadena, California where the game is played.
At the Division I-A level, teams must earn the right to be bowl eligible by winning at least 6 games during the season. They are then invited to a bowl game based on their conference ranking and the tie-ins that the conference has to each bowl game. For the 2006 season, there are 32 bowl games, so 64 of the 119 Division I-A teams will be invited to play at a bowl. These games are played from mid-December to early January and most of the later bowl games are typically considered more prestigious.
http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/
[edit] Bowl Championship Series (BCS)

Main article: Bowl Championship Series

The Bowl Championship Series (BCS) is designed to pair the top two teams in college football against each other for a National Championship game. The system also selects matchups for the other prestigious BCS bowl games. The ten teams selected include the conference champion from each of the six BCS conferences plus four others ("at-large" selections). The top-ranked and second-ranked teams are pitted in the BCS National Championship Game in order to crown an unofficial NCAA Division I-A national football champion. The winner is also required to be voted number one by the Coaches Poll. It has been in place since the 1998 season. Prior to the 2006 season eight teams competed in four BCS Bowls. The BCS replaced the Bowl Alliance (in place from 1995-1997), which followed the Bowl Coalition (in place from 1992-1994).

I've followed college football since before the BCS and I'm still now figuring it out. The guys who created it, I think, are still now figuriing it out!

But Flounder summed it up pretty well. Hope you enjoy your journey down the path of the greatest sport in the world!

So lets see if I got this right. The post-season contains of diffwerent "bowls". To get into one, you have to have get atleast 6 wins in the regualr season. But is it like the play-offs? If you win, you advance, if you lose, you get eliminated?

Dolphins Own said:
So lets see if I got this right. The post-season contains of diffwerent "bowls". To get into one, you have to have get atleast 6 wins in the regualr season. But is it like the play-offs? If you win, you advance, if you lose, you get eliminated?

No, many people want there to be playoffs but there isn't yet. The Bowls are a one game thing based off of your regular season performance. The top teams are determined by the BCS Poll, which is a combination of other polls and human voters. The top teams play in the BCS Bowls and then there are several other bowls sponsored by other companies.

Dolphins Own said:

No. Win or lose, your season is over after a bowl.

Motion said:
No, many people want there to be playoffs but there isn't yet. The Bowls are a one game thing based off of your regular season performance. The top teams are determined by the BCS Poll, which is a combination of other polls and human voters. The top teams play in the BCS Bowls and then there are several other bowls sponsored by other companies.

Like the papajohns.com bowl, and the meineke car care bowl, or the MPC computers bowl(which is played on the awesome smurf turf).

Stitches said:
Like the papajohns.com bowl, and the meineke car care bowl, or the MPC computers bowl(which is played on the awesome smurf turf).

don't forget the

san diego credit county card company couty credit card county ponsettia bowl!

Motion said:

Okay, I think I get it now. Thanks!

oh and always remember one thing.....$$$$ will take an undeserving team pretty far in the selection comittee.

Ex: ND

The best way to get taken into College Football is to go to a game or at least visit a campus of a serious program. I first started watching Florida play under Charley Pell back in 1984 because I had interest in going to school in Gainesville. I then visited the campus twice and attended during a game weekend. Although I ended up not actually going to school there, I did get hooked and became a Gator for life.

Real_Teal said:
The best way to get taken into College Football is to go to a game or at least visit a campus of a serious program. I first started watching Florida play under Charley Pell back in 1984 because I had interest in going to school in Gainesville. I then visited the campus twice and attended during a game weekend. Although I ended up not actually going to school there, I did get hooked and became a Gator for life.

You had an interest in going to school in Gainesville at the age of 4? I was just looking forward to kindergarten at that point.

Back
Top Bottom