A Football Life "Joe Namath" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Football Life "Joe Namath"

Fins1971

C'mon Dolphins
Club Member
Reaction score
This was aired on Friday night and I got a chance to watch. Very interesting and would recommend.
I definitely learned a few things about him that I didn't know.

In the Super Bowl win against Shula and the Colts Joe called every play from the line of scrimage. The Colts had a killer defense that year. Joe read their formations and continued to run plays away from the strength of the defense and kept them off guard the whole game. Shula said he was one step ahead the whole game.

His lifestyle and injuries to his knee eventually turned him into an alcholic. I knew that. But what I didn't know was that after he quit football he married a woman who was 20 years younger than him and had kids. She gave him an ultimatum to quit drinking or else. He actually was clean for 13 years. Then she left him after 16 years of marriage. The breakup sent him back into an alcholic state. After 3 more years of this the famous sideline incident with Suzie Culver was the final breaking point. He got help and has been clean ever since. I saw him presenting awards at the NFL honors last night and he look real good and straight. Good for him.

In his last game as a Jet he wasn't even starting. The starting QB went down and they were trailing 49ers 17-0. Joe came in and rallied them to within 3 and was driving for the winning TD. On his final pass as a Jet he was intercepted in the endzone and the rally fell short. Despite losing the New York fans gave him a standing ovation for 15 minutes after the game was over. That guy put the Jets and the NFL on the map.

I was a big Namath fan as a child. Dad took me to the Orange Bowl game where he got injured but later came back in to almost get the win. It was my very first football game and I had an Alabama roll tide pendent in my room back then.
What a colorful character. As a teenager i did not mind the mob stuff or drinking and womanizing. It was exciting to me.

I saw this program a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Thanks for posting 71 :up:

This was aired on Friday night and I got a chance to watch. Very interesting and would recommend.
I definitely learned a few things about him that I didn't know.

In the Super Bowl win against Shula and the Colts Joe called every play from the line of scrimage. The Colts had a killer defense that year. Joe read their formations and continued to run plays away from the strength of the defense and kept them off guard the whole game. Shula said he was one step ahead the whole game.

His lifestyle and injuries to his knee eventually turned him into an alcholic. I knew that. But what I didn't know was that after he quit football he married a woman who was 20 years younger than him and had kids. She gave him an ultimatum to quit drinking or else. He actually was clean for 13 years. Then she left him after 16 years of marriage. The breakup sent him back into an alcholic state. After 3 more years of this the famous sideline incident with Suzie Culver was the final breaking point. He got help and has been clean ever since. I saw him presenting awards at the NFL honors last night and he look real good and straight. Good for him.

In his last game as a Jet he wasn't even starting. The starting QB went down and they were trailing 49ers 17-0. Joe came in and rallied them to within 3 and was driving for the winning TD. On his final pass as a Jet he was intercepted in the endzone and the rally fell short. Despite losing the New York fans gave him a standing ovation for 15 minutes after the game was over. That guy put the Jets and the NFL on the map.

The game you site, was not his last game as a Jet, it was his first game back from a serious knee injury he suffered in the first pre-season game of 1971. He missed the last 9 games of the 1970 season with a broken wrist, and then missed the first 10 games of 1971 with a knee injury, so he hadn't played in a regular season game for almost 14 straight months. I remember listening to that game on radio (home games were blacked out in the local market at that time) when I was in the 7th grade. It was incredible!. The Jets were 4-6, going against a top team in the 49ers. It was the 3rd Quarter and the Jets were listless trailing 17-0, then Namath comes in the game, and almost pulled it out if not for the interception you saw on the HBO show. I believe the final score was 24-21.

Back in the 90's i moved into an apartment building in N.Miami Beach. Had a great pool. One day this sexy older lady was walking her poodle by the pool and I started a conversation. One thing lead to another and she invited me up to her place for drinks. In her apartment there were several pictures of a younger her with Namath. Turned out she was a former playboy bunny at the Miami club that use to be on Biscayne blvd and 36 st and dated Joe Willy so i share something with my boyhood hero :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom