"A four-year plan at Miami" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"A four-year plan at Miami"

Golphindolphin

town drunk
Club Member
Reaction score
"Green believes he is fit enough to be Miami’s starting quarterback through 2010 season.
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star
Trent Green has bigger plans than merely being a short-term starting quarterback for the Miami Dolphins.

He’ll turn 37 next month, and he’ll have a second-round draft choice breathing down his neck, but he told Miami reporters on Wednesday that he plans to play  and start  for the Dolphins for as many as four years.

“From a body standpoint, I feel really good, and whether it’s two years, three years, four years, whatever it might be, as long as I feel good and I’m playing at a high level and I’m contributing to help this team win, I want to keep playing,†said Green, whom the Chiefs traded to the Dolphins on Tuesday night for a conditional fifth-round draft pick.

“My mind-set is to be a starter. There are a lot of quarterbacks who have held on three, four or five years in a backup role, but if I had that mind-set, I would have stayed in Kansas City. That was a role they wanted me to take.â€Â"http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/139857.html

I like the competitive spirit of wanting to be the starter for four years, but how is he going to react if/when Beck proves he's ready to go early on in the process?

"Green believes he is fit enough to be Miami’s starting quarterback through 2010 season.
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star
Trent Green has bigger plans than merely being a short-term starting quarterback for the Miami Dolphins.

He’ll turn 37 next month, and he’ll have a second-round draft choice breathing down his neck, but he told Miami reporters on Wednesday that he plans to play  and start  for the Dolphins for as many as four years.

“From a body standpoint, I feel really good, and whether it’s two years, three years, four years, whatever it might be, as long as I feel good and I’m playing at a high level and I’m contributing to help this team win, I want to keep playing,†said Green, whom the Chiefs traded to the Dolphins on Tuesday night for a conditional fifth-round draft pick.

“My mind-set is to be a starter. There are a lot of quarterbacks who have held on three, four or five years in a backup role, but if I had that mind-set, I would have stayed in Kansas City. That was a role they wanted me to take.â€Â"http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/139857.html

I like the competitive spirit of wanting to be the starter for four years, but how is he going to react if/when Beck proves he's ready to go early on in the process?

Good question.

He's kidding himself if he thinks he's year for four years. John Beck is 25 years old, it's very irrational to think he'll sit for more than two years (if that).

Trent Green can say whatever he wants. There is no way he plays until he is 41. Not only because of age, but the fact Beck will be 31 by the 2011 season when he would gets to start.

I'm willing to thrown down MONEY that T.Green is not going to be a Miami DOlphin past this year.

1 MAYBE 2, that's it.
Beck will be ready. Plus, don't forget that Mueller and Cameron both like having a bunch of QB's around, so you never know.

By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

I listened to his PC, and what the article says that Green said is not what he was trying to say. He was asked how he was physically, being 36 yrs old and now long he felt he could play. He said that he felt like he could play at a high level now and that he didn't want to put a timetable on it. As long as he felt like he could play at the level he feels he should be playing at, he would play...be that 1, 2 or 4 yrs...he didn't want to put any cap on how long he could play...amazing how they twist words sometimes...

Unless Beck is a disappointment he will be starting later this year or early next. That being said what do you expect Trent Green to think? I don't want a qb with 0 competetive spirit. The problem Green faces is even if he comes in and performs at the level he did in 2004 and 2005 he will probably be sat down to bring Beck along next year. Developing Beck will be priority number one since we aren't making a long term investment in Green. But it is in Beck's interest to let him sit and absorb for most or all of 2007. This whole deal is about letting us have the option of bringing along Beck at the speed we feel is right instead of rushing him.

Unless Beck is a disappointment he will be starting later this year or early next. That being said what do you expect Trent Green to think? I don't want a qb with 0 competetive spirit. The problem Green faces is even if he comes in and performs at the level he did in 2004 and 2005 he will probably be sat down to bring Beck along next year. Developing Beck will be priority number one since we aren't making a long term investment in Green. But it is in Beck's interest to let him sit and absorb for most or all of 2007. This whole deal is about letting us have the option of bringing along Beck at the speed we feel is right instead of rushing him.

I see Beck probably starting towards the end of THIS season as well.

At Green's age injuries are unavoidable. I hope he stays healthy, but I wouldn't be surprised if Beck gets the nod instead of Lemon if he goes down late in the season...

I think it is a great move, Green will be the best QB Chambers & company have ever played with as Dolphins. Chambers should have a good year IMO...

I see Beck probably starting towards the end of THIS season as well.

At Green's age injuries are unavoidable. I hope he stays healthy, but I wouldn't be surprised if Beck gets the nod instead of Lemon if he goes down late in the season...

I think it is a great move, Green will be the best QB Chambers & company have ever played with as Dolphins. Chambers should have a good year IMO...

I think it is a distinct possibility a la Jay Cutler from last year. Especially in the light that Beck is fairly polished for a prospect. I think the whole purpose of this trade is to give the staff flexibility in how they bring along Beck while trying to keep the team as competetive as possible. Now with Green here at the ripe age of 37 the staff will not have a controversy inserting Beck into the lineup whenever they feel he is ready unless we are in the playoff hunt, and if that is the case then that is a beautiful thing in and of itself.

Back
Top Bottom