AFC East Morning Take-Who is James Walker? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AFC East Morning Take-Who is James Walker?

zach attach

Active Roster
Reaction score
Blog author Jmaes Walker said today- "Morning take: Miami overvalued its receivers this offseason and now are trying to make up for it by signing Ochocinco. The Dolphins traded Brandon Marshall and didn't take a receiver high in the draft. The group that's left hasn't looked good in practice, but what did they expect?

I don't know who this guy is but his Patriot colors shine bright. What's with all these reporters saying we're screwed at WR? We havent even started training camp yet. These are the mini camps and OTA's that help the coaching staff see where we need to go. It's crazy for reporters to stamp us as finished because we didn't draft a high receiver. Does he mean like Blackmon? A dui vetern?
JI dratfed for team value and I think most of us think he did pretty well. We got our QB, Martin, Olivier, Lamar. If we did trade up for a special WR after QB, then reporters would say we neglected to fill other need positions. Sheesh!

I'm not worried about our receivers. I'm positive we will end up with a Green Bay type receiver corp. and I'm happy with that. Drops will get fixed. There's no better motivation for receivers than to have a guy right behind you wanting the chance to out catch you and take your starting job.

Ocho will intensify the heat on the young receivers to make them perform better. It's a smart move by Philbin to bring him in and scare the WR group into getting better.

He seems right to me....

You are looking through the eyes of a Homer. Our WR core is terrible with or without Ocho. Philbin has already come out and said something about our WRs, a day later we are picking up a guy who is a shell of his former self, and like you said....we haven't started training camps, etc yet. They traded BM without replacing him, and didn't spend a high draft pick....and now this desperate move is very telling on how maybe, the FO is thinking we should have addressed the WR position a little more.

I'm happy you are so positive we will magically form a great WR core like Green Bay.....but don't expect ANY reporter to believe the same until they show it on the field. If we needed Ocho here to make the young guys catch better, they should not be here to begin with.

I'd say he's off when he says we overvalued the WR position - if anyone in the organization thought this group would be enough then they probably should be fired. Can't be string at every position - WR is on next years list unless we get a miracle before this season

We all have different levels of optimism I guess, to each their own. I believe there is a long way to go until our first preseason game. My optimism is high on Philbin geting these guys ready by then.

We all have different levels of optimism I guess, to each their own. I believe there is a long way to go until our first preseason game. My optimism is high on Philbin geting these guys ready by then.
I can be optimistic about the team/coaching staff as a whole, while realizing that WR isnt a strong suit. Philbin already spoke out about the unit even before they signed Johnson.

James Walker is a lazy hack who seems to have it out for Dolphins but I agree with most of this. Cunningham and now Gates are reportedly struggling and the coach has expressed concerns about the receivers.
I don't have a problem with adding players at any point, though. If you see a problem, fix it. I would be more concerned if they didn't do anything.

I agree he's a pretty anti-Dolphin writer based on what I've seen and heard, but there's some definite truth to what he's saying. My only qualm with the draft was that we really put receiver on the backburner. That being said I think the team is a bit improve with Ocho Cinco there. Hopefully he'll be a team player and bring some veteran leadership and wisdom to the young corps.

Talent is talent. If Ocho brings it, I'm all for it. Having the right coaches to develop it is pretty important.

Walker is an underqualified hack who learned what he knows about football by covering the mighty Cleveland Browns - but get this, for an out-of-town, not even a Cleveland paper, before he was plucked out of obscurity by ESPN for whatever stated or unstated reason. This guy was situated in Columbus whose paper didn't even think enough of him to let him cover Ohio State football. It's like a columnist/"reporter" for Florida Today in Melbourne covering the Fins. Only in the age of media-hungry, instant gratification where you can sit in your parents' basement producing tripe as "credible you pound out on an old Commodore, can a moron such as this be afforded a platform.

IMO, his "opinions" pro or con carry about as much weight as does investment advice from Bernie Madoff.

I don't know who this guy is but his Patriot colors shine bright. What's with all these reporters saying we're screwed at WR?

Who this guy is is irrelevant. What matters is whether his opinion has any basis in fact. As others have stated, you can't be all-Pro at every position under a salary cap. WR has been a Dolphin weakness going back to the Wannstedt era. Whether or not the reporter is a Patriots fan doesn't change that fact.

The great thing about signing Ocho, is we now have a chance to show that New England isn't always the geniuses they are made out to be. They have a couple of draft picks and a couple more years of paying him, we have a low cost one year deal for him. If ends up having a good, productive season for the Fins, it does two things: Gives the Fins brass some cred and makes NE look really bad for letting him go. It's a win-win in my eyes.

It's simple - Jeff Ireland is not trying to improve this team for the short term. We are building through a multi year process to fit Joe Philbin. We just went through a regime change and we are changing things up. Walker is simply misguided if he feels Ireland "overvalued" their wide receiver corps simply because they made offers to Vincent Jackson, they made attempts to trade up at certain times in the draft when players they felt were supreme value (Quick/Randle) fell to a position they could reach them. Sadly, the draft is 32 teams making 32 different sets of decisions and sometimes you end up on the short end of the stick.

What did Miami do as a result? Did they take the very next best WR in the draft out of fear? No, they didn't. They stuck to their guide and grabbed a ton of value. Will it work out? Who knows. But Miami made a statement with this draft saying we are going after talent, and we are not afraid to shore up a position we are otherwise okay at if it means quality players on this team. Look at the Giants! They ignored linebacker for how many years? And why, to take ANOTHER defensive lineman? Oh my god! JPP! Why would they take him when they already have guys like Tuck and Umenyora? Because they know this isn't Madden. This is a game of depth and talent. If you have multiple fresh bodies that are playing at a similarly high level versus players who are worn out or simply not as talented, you've got yourself some matchup problems.

This is why I'm 100% happy with the Lamar Miller choice. Insane value, a great prospect, and fits right into this offense like a glove (going by his skillset). The same thing will happen with a wide receiver, and only then will we be happy that we "ignored" our problems at WR previously.

Who this guy is is irrelevant. What matters is whether his opinion has any basis in fact. As others have stated, you can't be all-Pro at every position under a salary cap. WR has been a Dolphin weakness going back to the Wannstedt era. Whether or not the reporter is a Patriots fan doesn't change that fact.

Seems like we had a pretty decent WR corp last year. Wonder what's changed... :idk:

Back
Top Bottom