After Many Sleepless Nights, I’ve Finally Pinpointed How the Miami Dolphins Angered the Football God | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

After Many Sleepless Nights, I’ve Finally Pinpointed How the Miami Dolphins Angered the Football God

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
I still say it was 1971 after the SB loss to the Cowboys, Shula sold his soul to the devil for the undefeated season. Only in 2000, Shula had left the team when Beelzebub came to collect and he unleashed his wrath on the team instead.

51536097.jpg.0.jpg

January 15th. Remember that date. January 15th.
A cataclysmic shift in the space-time continuum occurred on January 15th, 2000.
The most prolific quarterback in the NFL to this point, Dan Marino, had willed the team to a comeback victory against the Seattle Seahawks in the Wild Card round in the previous week. The 1999 NFL Playoffs wreaked of a “going down fighting” attitude for good ol’ Dan. And why not? It was one of the things we loved about Dan: he was a fiery competitor.
Turns out the Dolphins would get pummeled 62-7 by the Jacksonville Jaguars, leaving us all a little befuddled and flaccid. While we were scratching our heads, the football gods had contingency blueprints in motion, and the ramifications were never so drastic.
The bitterness of that Jaguars defeat still lingers with any Dolphins fan who got to see the spectacle of Dan Marino during his heyday. But I contend that it was much worse: it helped give birth to a curse, one which many exorcisms will be needed to eradicate.
How were the football gods so angered on January 15th, 2000? Simultaneously, while Dan Marino was unceremoniously getting an ass kicking, there was a college kid celebrating his 21st birthday while attending Purdue University. His name was Drew Brees.
https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/2...-the-miami-dolphins-angered-the-football-gods

Last edited:
The bitterness of that Jaguars defeat still lingers with any Dolphins fan who got to see the spectacle of Dan Marino during his heyday.

The only time it lingers is when it gets brought up on Finheaven. Otherwise I would never think about it. We had our asses whipped plenty of times in the playoffs with Marino at the helm.

Last edited:
The only time it lingers is when it gets brought up on Finheaven. Otherwise I would never think about it.
Yes! I was blessed to witness Marino’s entire career. I got to see him play in person over two dozen times. I have a million great memories about the man and the team during his time under center. I don’t spend a single moment lingering on the sad day that his career ended.

Let's be honest, while the Marino years were great as far as watching him play...the team was still pretty average, maybe above average. I think we had a nice 3-year span from 83-85 and after that, it was very hit or miss.

Let's be honest, while the Marino years were great as far as watching him play...the team was still pretty average, maybe above average. I think we had a nice 3-year span from 83-85 and after that, it was very hit or miss.
They were hit or miss. But under Marino was the last time this team was a legitimate contender, the last time this team won 12 games in a season, the last time this team made it past the divisional round of the playoffs, and the last time they won the division more than once every ten years or so. And watching one of the greatest to ever play quarterback was a privilege in and of itself.

Disappointing as they may have been, they were the glory years compared to everything that’s come afterwards.

I don’t spend a single moment lingering on the sad day that his career ended.

Me neither, I remember the incredible comeback win in Seattle the week before. We were lucky to even be in the playoffs that year. Had no running game, and Marino was playing hurt. Willed us to victory one last time and ended the road playoff loss streak.

"Curse of The Tequesta"

The stadium is literally built on an ancient Indian burial ground. That's all you really need to know when considering how relatively futile our existence has been since moving over from the Orange Bowl.
I agree. Simply look at our seasons in "Joe Robbie"

"Curse of The Tequesta"

The stadium is literally built on an ancient Indian burial ground. That's all you really need to know when considering how relatively futile our existence has been since moving over from the Orange Bowl.
Yep. Not enough people seem to realize this, or talk about it. Ross should honestly arrange for some type of peace offering ceremony to the Tequesta to see if it'll appease them, considering we're not moving into another stadium anytime soon....

This is such a crock of ****.

The team's been bad because Shula drafted like a dickhead, JJ ran his offense like a dickhead, Dave Wannstedt coached, picked personnel, and ran the team like a dickhead, Nick Saban was the human embodiment of a dickhead, Cam Cameron had no dick, Bill Parcells was a mercenary dickhead using us as a laboratory for his dickhead experiment, Joe Philbin literally looked like a dickhead, and uhhh yeah I don't know.

I see a lot of parallels between the Dolphins with Marino and the Chargers with Phillip Rivers. Both were pro-bowl QBs for the same team and considered elite for much of their careers, but both seemed cursed by losses at the wrong time. At least Marino made it to one Superbowl.

We're all left wondering what if:

1. Shula had fired Olivadotti when he should have
2. Andre Franklin didn't go down with a career-ending injury during Marino's rookie season
3. JJ wouldn't have completely changed the offense when he came in (and just concentrated on defense)

I guess we'll never know.

feels more like, we held onto Shula too long and he held onto crappy defensive coordinators. oh, and bad drafts, and draft picks dying? yeah, a lot of bad luck. maybe we are cursed.

"Curse of The Tequesta"

I suppose, if you believe in ghosts and all the other spooky thing you see on scooby doo :laugh The Marlins and Canes didn't have issues with Sitting Bull interrupting their season. Personally I blame it on the scabs. The 1987 scabs that cut opening ribbon on our shiny new stadium. I mean Kyle Mackey was the starting qb, Kyle Mackey. Yeah we won the game but what a horrible roster kick off the grand show.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198710110mia.htm

I just think the law of averages leads every team towards a .500 career winning % so all those years of being one of the winningest teams in league history meant there was going to come a time to pay the piper. Just like all those years that the Patriots were at the bottom of the division while the Dolphins, Bills and even the Jets for a brief period were at the top meant that the time would come when the Patriots would win a lot. Based on that theory we should be preparing for a long Browns and Lions dynasty really soon.

This is such a crock of ****.

The team's been bad because Shula drafted like a dickhead, JJ ran his offense like a dickhead, Dave Wannstedt coached, picked personnel, and ran the team like a dickhead, Nick Saban was the human embodiment of a dickhead, Cam Cameron had no ****, Bill Parcells was a mercenary dickhead using us as a laboratory for his dickhead experiment, Joe Philbin literally looked like a dickhead, and uhhh yeah I don't know.

This 100%...also i can't eat my banana for lunch anymore.

Back
Top Bottom