After week 17, what I have learned... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

After week 17, what I have learned...

tay0365

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Well another mediocre year is finally over, and another off-season of hope begins, but unlike years past I saw some things that make me feel 2018 could be as special as 2017 should have been...

1. This version of the Dolphins does not give up.

I was watching the Jets game against the Patriots, and when down by two scores I thought Jets might come back, until I realized how doubtful that is, and how I have had the feeling about the Dolphins for about a year and half, because this version of the Dolphins is not like Dolphins of old, that if behind, it is pretty much over. With Gase whether it be that he has inspired a will to play to the end, is able at half time to light a fire under them, changed the game plan to work in their favor, or a bit of all of that, Miami does tent to come out like a more inspired team in the 2nd half.

2, Drake is for real.

After we saw Ajayi traded to the Eagles for pretty much nothing, many of us were either mad, someone upset, or extremely confused, but after watching Drake, even the biggest Ajayi fan has to admit he was not as consistent game to game, or as well balanced as we have seen from Drake. Though we know that the type of work he has been getting will eventually start deteriorating his production (Miami needs to get another RB that can produce 30 to 40 % of the plays), Drake is a very well balanced RB, his speed makes him dangerous running the ball, he is a weapon receiving out of the backfield, is a reliable blocker, and even though he does not have the size of Ajayi, he rarely gets caught behind the LOS as much. Fix that line once and for all, and this guy will be a headache to D-Coordinators.

3. Cutler Killed the season.

This season was going to be great to the point of years past, when Shula roamed the sidelines, but throw after throw Cutler continued to prove he needs to stay retired, the QB that played for the Bears last year was an even better version then the one we saw this year. it seemed he completed more passes to the ground on passes a yard or more short, or too far, then to the receivers...and that was before he went into his famous WTF passes to the opponents in the final few games.

4. The O-line is still garbage.

The management needs to once and for all get a grip on this, figure out what needs to be done, and just do it, no more assumptions that the line will be good next years with this or that more, they need to go all out to make sure that the line will be consistent, even if they go overboard. Replace the O-line coach, make sure what you have where, and who is best for what position. If they need to replace a few starters (Pouncey, James), or move another starter to another position (Tunsil). Get O-line help through FA, and the Draft....LEAVE NOTHING FOR CHANCE ANYMORE!!!

5. Miami needs a Quality TE...BAD!!!

What could have been...even with a QB like Cutler. If Miami had a premium TE that could actually catch the ball, and make plays, this team could have been still going into week 17 with a chance to reach the playoffs. It killed me each time Thomas dropped passes that could easily be caught by a backup high-school player. Gase's Offense relies heavily on the TE position. Miami needs to get not just a good TE, but as good a TE as possible, in other words if they can get one in the 1st, or as last as the 2nd, that will help the Miami Offense considerably next year.

6. Fales should not be even be high on Backup List.

There was a thread of Miami will be going all out to find a QB, as I wrote, if Tannehill is healthy, Miami will not be i n the market for a starter (No 1st or probably 2nd round needed for a QB, unless someone special happened to fall to the 2nd), but we need a better, more consistent backup...Moore is up there in age and failed, and now after Fales proved he is not an option after how he looked vs the Bills.

7. Parker, you career is calling.

I am one of the biggest Parker fans here, like many, I think he has premium player skills, but he needs to get it done soon, or he is going to be done soon. Gase in his defense said he can't really be blamed considering he was playing injured, but there's the problem right there, he's always injured. Parker this off-season needs to work his butt off, and learn to be able to play well when hurt, considering that is what top receivers are able to do.

8. There is talent on the LB squad, but...

I expect Raekwon McMillan to be ready, and be as good as advertised in 2018. Stephone Anthony and Chase Allen looked pretty Solid. Finally though there are quite a few here that seem to love seeing his shortcomings rather then his abilities, and he does need to be a bit more consistent Kiko Alonzo for the 2nd year in row was the best LB on the team, and had the 2nd most tackles on the team, with McMillian, Anthony, and Allen, Kiko's consistency should progress even more. I still though hope we can get another LB in the draft we can count on.

9. Miami, Parkey, and the onside kick.

Miami has one of the most lethal, and consistent onside kickers in the NFL, and if/when Miami finally has a consistent offense, no team will or should be able to breath if they are leading by two scores with a few minutes left.

10. Refs are getting out of control.

Though there is little we can be done here, something really does need to be done with these guys. I just can not deal with every game, there still being some of the dumbest mistakes occurring, even with instant replay...Especially when a team is playing the Patriots. If a Ref or even a referee team is continually shown to make too many mistakes, they should be penalized or let go. Refs should not be deciding games.

Well another mediocre year is finally over, and another off-season of hope begins, but unlike years past I saw some things that make me feel 2018 could be as special as 2017 should have been...

Agreed with everything you said except LBs. I think there is a serious deficiency of talent there. We desperately need McMillian to be a stud. Allen looks like a STer and depth to me. Anthony did not get enough snaps to judge. Kiko's stats look a lot more impressive than his film. None of them (maybe Anthony can prove me wrong) could cover Mike Ditka if he suited up at TE at his age...

Still amazed that McDonald, who missed the first 10 games, finished 5 tackles short of being 4th on the team in total tackles.

10. Refs are getting out of control.

Though there is little we can be done here, something really does need to be done with these guys. I just can not deal with every game, there still being some of the dumbest mistakes occurring, even with instant replay...Especially when a team is playing the Patriots. If a Ref or even a referee team is continually shown to make too many mistakes, they should be penalized or let go. Refs should not be deciding games.

I think that I heard we gave up the second most penalties in the NFL (just behind Seattle). Where you see this as the refs getting out of control, I think that the bigger problem is that too often we gave up really dumb penalties that consistently hurt the team. It is also interesting to note that under Joe Philbin, Miami was consistently one of the least penalized teams. This is a pretty stark difference in relatively short period of time. There are few things that were seen as positives in the Philbin era, but maybe the subject of penalty - root causes warrants detailed analysis by the team. Yes, some were bad decisions by the refs but my guess is that they were the minority.

I think that I heard we gave up the second most penalties in the NFL (just behind Seattle). Where you see this as the refs getting out of control, I think that the bigger problem is that too often we gave up really dumb penalties that consistently hurt the team. It is also interesting to note that under Joe Philbin, Miami was consistently one of the least penalized teams. This is a pretty stark difference in relatively short period of time. There are few things that were seen as positives in the Philbin era, but maybe the subject of penalty - root causes warrants detailed analysis by the team. Yes, some were bad decisions by the refs but my guess is that they were the minority.

True penalties are on us, but I saw too many games where bad call, plus horrible QB, confused WR, inconsistent line and defense made it impossible to win. If the team is going to beat it's self, then fine, but when ref are making more rediculous calls then normal, that has to be addressed. Also, not talking about just our team, happening to many teams at conspicuous times.

good post.
as for the offense , they need a down-the-field mentality. That starts with the line. I agree, don't leave anything to chance. The current players right now can't be given any more breaks. Their salaries are high vs what you get in return. The Rams rebuilt their line in one offseason with three earning less than $1M each

Good opening post. One minor point: The onside kick trend is meaningless. You can throw it away as a one-year oddity. It's similar to early season when we were shut out several times and posters were projecting more shut outs.

Nope...normalcy returns

I hope Gase has learned something. Players who worked with you in prior seasons, are getting older and are more likely not as effective as they were with you 4-5 years ago.

This years team just never displayed any chemistry, and the communication between teammates on units was just so bad. The QB and receivers were rarely on the same page with wrong routes and errant throws so common all year. The offensive line would routinely miss blocking assignments, especially early in the season. The secondary left huge areas undefended allowing receivers way too much room and the LB's, well they just sucked all year in pass coverage. Blame can be placed on both coaching staff and players and the net result was a terrible year of Dolphins football. Hopefully they get this figured out when Tannehill comes back and Gase puts some competent NFL coordinators and coaches on his staff. If not, we will be cleaning house again in 2019!

Are you basing the not giving up on just this game? I think that came from players that don't play much and mostly being fired up after the fight. I really didn't see it all year.

Good write up tay....will just add a few things.
The LB unit needs help big time and Kiko should be a backup just because we can't cut him next season, he should never be on the field again for any Dolphins game.
A FS is also a priority for this team, we can't cover TEs to save our life.
The Dline which was suppose to be one of our strengths seems to be overrated.
The QB position cries out for competition in the worse way....we need two.
That Zone protection scheme is killing us.....play more man to man.

Really was surprised by Drake. I'll eat some crow on the Ajayi trade and thinking we would drop off in the RB position. Hell, we upgraded.

If he can stay healthy, really like his potential for next year starting all 16.

The 2017 Dolphins were one of the worst in Franchise history. A minus 112 point scoring difference was the 4th worst in team history. Only trailing year 1, 2 and the 1-15 season. This season was a huge step backwards.

Back
Top Bottom