*** Alabama Pro Day TODAY *** | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** Alabama Pro Day TODAY ***

JCane

Administrator
Club Member
Reaction score
THIS is what I've been waiting for...

Eff a 40 time. Who cares about that useless measurement.

I wanna see what Mr. Trent Richardson can bench.

This kid, as everyone of you know, is a BEAST in the weight room.

Trent says he's breaking the record. The record for a full-back is 37. Record for a running back is 32. And the overall record is 51.

Alabama Pro Day WILL BE televised on ESPN3 at 11:00AM.

Mark Barron and Courtney Upshaw will also be present.

Pedestrian numbers for Courtney Upshaw. The 4.81 in the 40 doesn't bother me but the 27.5 inch vertical does. Reports of his shuttle and cone times were bad as well.

I think he's overweight, aiming to be a 4-3 DE.

Courtney looks like a JAG in drills in shorts... you have to put the pads on him. Best place for Upshaw is probably somewhere in the late teens.

He's just not the caliber of athlete a kid like Melvin Ingram is... few are.

Yeah, I'm just saying that things are kind of muddled in that 25-50 area, and when he puts up numbers like that, don't guys like Perry (who someone already had rated higher), Ingram (again some had rated higher), and Curry (Slimm is the only person I've seen rate Curry higher than Upshaw) look a lot better? I mean, unless you can explain away his performance today, it's hard to say, "**** it. I know he's the man."

In this bull**** mock my fantasy league is doing, someone drafted him to the Chargers at #18. Perry and Curry were still on the board. I don't think he'd go that high after today.

I don't think he falls to #42, because he is a player. But holy ****, what a disappointment.

Courtney looks like a JAG in drills in shorts... you have to put the pads on him. Best place for Upshaw is probably somewhere in the late teens.

He's just not the caliber of athlete a kid like Melvin Ingram is... few are.

Slimm, in your rankings, you mentioned that Upshaw and Ingram could also be 3-4 OLB's. I noticed you didn't say the same for Perry. Any particular reason? I'm just thinking that Perry is the superior athlete and could probably learn to be a better player in space.

Upshaw plays his best football from the waist up. He plays the game with his eyes up, you don't see that a lot with college defensive linemen.

Dominates with extremely powerful hands, technique, and understandings of leverage and contain. His best fit isn't going to be in a scheme that uses more of a 'spill' philosophy up front. In other words, a philosophy where you have tighter run fits in order to force the play outside. He doesn't have the speed or acceleration to consistently chase these plays to the outside. The run fits in your base defense are what's going to determine the best scenarios for most of these defensive ends first and foremost.

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times... it's going to take a creative defensive coach with a plan to utilize some of these kids to the best of their ability. The way their coaches in college did.

There's always been a serious lack of innovation and creativity in the NFL. The few that have it brought it with them from college.

Slimm, in your rankings, you mentioned that Upshaw and Ingram could also be 3-4 OLB's. I noticed you didn't say the same for Perry. Any particular reason? I'm just thinking that Perry is the superior athlete and could probably learn to be a better player in space.

Nick Perry plays his best football from the waist down. He wins off the edge with incredible lower body explosion and some ankle flexion in order to sink his hips and run the arc... a lot like Brian Orakpo did at Texas. The problem with Perry is that he doesn't use his hands well enough yet to win if a tackle gets in position during his vertical pass sets, and is in position to sit and punch. Perry wins by exploding upfield and getting his hips even with the offensive tackle's hips... once that happens the tackle is forced to "open up", or open his hips and shoulders rather than keeping them almost parallel to the line of scrimmage.

Perry has to develope a counter move or two and learn to use his hands better. He has the lower body explosion to set up a tackle and work him over with counters once he developes one of two of them.

It's the stiffness in his hips that prevents me from viewing him as a potential 3-4 outside linebacker. He doesn't have experience dropping into coverage at USC.

Rather than say that a kid can't do something, I prefer to evaluate him off what I think his best fit is. Perry's best fit is at RDE in a 4 man front in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom