Alec Ogletree at 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alec Ogletree at 12

Twitches Brew

Active Roster
Reaction score
Haven't heard Ogletree's name much on finheaven at 12th overall, but at this point he'd be my pick if available (I have a feeling he'll go top-10 after the combine). He just jumps off the screen: awesome bowl game, good SEC champ game. Former safety (was the #1 rated HS FS) who grew late and has the frame to fill out some. Just a great athlete, 6'3 235. Sideline-to-sideline movement his big strength, pursues and hits hard in the run game, can play 3 downs, played inside at UGA but likely outside in NFL, great nose for the ballcarrier, uses athleticism to weave around blocks, and his coverage skills are strong being a former DB (he started 5 games at safety for UGA). Can probably handle most TEs in coverage, and I wouldn't bet against him becoming a legit edge-rush threat when called upon.

I realize LB is not one of our big needs. But we have flexibility in Free Agency and 4 picks between rounds 2 and 3, making me comfortable considering him at 12. Seeing what Kuechly does for Carolina, I'd love Ogletree's versatile presence in the front-7. The worry is that he'll just look like a safety in the box. But I think with a move outside and 10lbs, he'll be holding his own on inside runs.

Skip to :40 to bypass the intro. Maybe mute it too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24FvP-tyyTs

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an ally! Would strongly consider Ogletree at 12. It's a little high maybe- I'd prob put him at 20-25, but if Patterson is gone, it's between him, Eifert, Cooper and Banks. FA will help iron that out for me.

i think he's a special talent. Some people will claim tweener safety/LB type never work out, but this kid has the frame to be a fulltime LB.

I confess I have only watched but just a little but IMO to take a LB with our first pick when we have such bigger holes to fill would be not a good decision.

I confess I have only watched but just a little but IMO to take a LB with our first pick when we have such bigger holes to fill would be not a good decision.

this type of thinking will hold you back...unless its a QB,you should take bpa at this range and if he's the bpa,I wouldn't be upset at all.

this type of thinking will hold you back...unless its a QB,you should take bpa at this range and if he's the bpa,I wouldn't be upset at all.

I just don't see him being the BPA at that spot.

I can see why a lot of people like him....he's a great athlete, fast, long, hits hard and can cover. But to me, he's not a ILB. He should be on the weakside where he's allowed to attack.....that's where he's at his best. The problem i see with him is instincts. The really good middle backers see the blocks in front of them and flow. They read their keys and know where to go. Ogletree bounces around in place and waits to see the ball.....then he attacks. In the NFL, that slight delay will allow a big guard to get up in his face to block him. And if you watch, he sometimes struggles getting off those blocks. I'm intrigued by him athletically, but i would not consider him at 12. He's not the same as Luke Kuechly or Patrick Willis at this point in his career, but he has potential.

He's a good linebacker yes, but as the game turns to a more wide open passing game, 4-3 linebackers have less impact on the game.

Teo is a better linebacker, especially for the inside. I'm not sure I want Miami even considering LBers with anything before the 4th, however

He is a very good MLB, but as they say,"We have bigger fish to fry."

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a heck of a catch he had on that onside kick. Remember too, he has played less than 2 seasons as a LB.

4 things I like about him

1) Instincts top notch
2) Violent
3) Great closing speed
4) Impact player

I'd compare Ogletree to Lavonte David from last year. An 'undersized' fast OLB who uses his speed and instincts to get into good position. David's probably a more sure tackler, but Ogletree hits harder, is longer, and is better in coverage - i bet he could handle guys like Keller and Hernandez, maybe Gronk too. Ogletree has crazy athleticism and makes a lot of game-changing big plays.

psu's nailed it...weakside attack lb...needs to wrap up better and tackle with better form...has a tendency to try and tackle head high...serious upside though...average instincts at this point...

Back
Top Bottom