All Right...Here it is....What will the US team do in the Olympics? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

All Right...Here it is....What will the US team do in the Olympics?

What will the US Team do in the Olympics?

• Win the Silver Medal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Win NO Medal

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Prime Time

Screw You Guys..Im Goin Home!!!
Reaction score
Vote now and post your reasons why. I am going to say Bronze for our US team. They have the talent to compete but they don't have the fundamental skill (thanks Ice) to win it all.

Gold. They do have the fundementals down. They are STARS in the NBA. They arnt giving it enough effort right now. Im hoping Larry Brown can give them a jumpstart

I'm gonna say Gold, but I'm not confident about it. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't medal at all though...

t2thejz said:
Gold. They do have the fundementals down. They are STARS in the NBA. They arnt giving it enough effort right now. Im hoping Larry Brown can give them a jumpstart

Fundamentals down? Where is the consistant 3 point shooter? Where is the great jump shot? Nowhere because all they did as they learned to play as well as everyone else in the US is dunk. :shakeno:

t2thejz said:

They don't have fundamentals down. The truth is that there aren't that many Americans who have great fundamentals. Ray Allen is an example of an American with good fundamentals but he isn't going to Athens. On this US team, there are no players with great fundamentals. We have a bunch of players who are good athletes and can win a slam dunk contest, but are there any great shooters on our team? I don't think so. We have a bunch of guys who are streak shooters but we don't have a sharp shooter. We lost to Italy because their players, including their big guys, are very good shooters. We almost lost to Germany because Dirk Nowitzki is a better shooter than every single player on the US team. I think the US will get things together and win gold but it won't be easy. They need to learn how to play defense. If they can't defend, we won't win a medal. The teams we are going up against shoot the ball better and have more chemistry so we are in trouble. I am being optimistic because our team is the most talented, but we lack a lot of things that a lot of the other teams have.

3 point shooting isnt a fundemental first of all. Shooting is a fundemental and they can all shot. They may not be as good as Dirk or Ray but they are the best in the game. Now I agree they need to play defense. They all know how to most of them did it in college but for some reason they stop after they get a big paycheck.

t2thejz said:
3 point shooting isnt a fundemental first of all. Shooting is a fundemental and they can all shot. They may not be as good as Dirk or Ray but they are the best in the game. Now I agree they need to play defense. They all know how to most of them did it in college but for some reason they stop after they get a big paycheck.

No, they can't shoot. Deep shooting is a fundamental, and we aren't good at it. If they play defense, they will be able to win games even with our lack of fundamentals. Another problem I think with the team is that I think the other teams care more. When we play a team like Germany, they want to beat us. We are considered to be the best basketball nation in the world and they want to beat the best. Also, they get their best players to play. Germany isn't even going to the Olympics but yet Dirk Nowitzki played for his country and played very well as yet. We won the game on a lucky 3 pointer at the end. A big problem with international basketball for us is that our players don't want to play, and the guys that do I think don't care as much as the players they are going up against. In other countries, the best players play. However, in other countries, international competition is very important to their sporting cultures. In most of these countries if not all of them, soccer is the most popular sport and in soccer, national teams are very important and the best players always represent their country. Basketball players from abroad treat international competition the same way. They consider playing for their country to be an honor and they will always play if asked to do so. In this country, our players mostly see it as something they don't have to do and thus don't do it. Only a few guys see it as an honor to play for their country. A lot of guys here don't care about it because they don't get paid to do it.

Bronze it is. Hate to say I told ya so :tongue:. Lithuania kept draining 3s, but USA stepped it up in the 4th quarter. Good job to the USA for winning the Bronze, but the world has caught up to them and that is why they did not win gold/

Prime Time said:
Bronze it is. Hate to say I told ya so :tongue:. Lithuania kept draining 3s, but USA stepped it up in the 4th quarter. Good job to the USA for winning the Bronze, but the world has caught up to them and that is why they did not win gold/

The world hasn't caught up. We lost because a crappy team was picked, because we had bad chemistry, and because at times the other teams just cared more. The USA still has the most talent, but the other teams have better chemistry and better fundamentals. We can't dominate the international game anymore.

iceblizzard69 said:
We can't dominate the international game anymore.

Which means the World has caught up to us. Basketball isn't all about dunking and who can break more ankles like people in the US believe.

Prime Time said:
Which means the World has caught up to us. Basketball isn't all about dunking and who can break more ankles like people in the US believe.

In terms of talent they certainly haven't. The reason why we don't win is because we don't send our best players when other countries do. Do you seriously believe that if the US sent our best players that we wouldn't dominate?

The US wasn't good in the Olympics because a bad team was selected and because there was no chemistry. We lacked a three point shooter and there were too many shoot first players. You can't have a shoot first PG like Marbury playing internationally, and while Iverson can distribute, he is definitely known for being a scorer even though he shoots a crappy percentage.

Back
Top Bottom