Alonzo Highsmith not a consideration for GM position? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alonzo Highsmith not a consideration for GM position?

navydaze

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Assuming they interview him this week? :confused:

Highly regarded Personnel Executive with GB. A Miami native who played RB at UM and in the league and has worked his way up the scouting ranks to his current position. There has been some conjecture that he would be a candidate for a couple of GM jobs including the Dolphins, but nothing concrete and I've heard nothing about him interviewing him.

Doesn't seem like we're interested, unfortunately. I wonder why. He was a top name early in the process but apparently didn't even rate an interview. A shame, because he wants to be a GM and one of the beat reporters said he was interested.

Word is the brass for the Dolphins don't want anyone with ties to Philbin. Read into that however you want.

Word is the brass for the Dolphins don't want anyone with ties to Philbin. Read into that however you want.

I saw that, too. From Mando, right? It didn't make much sense to me, honestly. Why would Ross want to keep Philbin and isolate him at the same time? If he's looking to make it easier to fire Philbin in a year why not just fire him now? I couldn't figure a logical reason for that to be true. Not that the things Ears and company do are always logical....

I saw that, too. From Mando, right? It didn't make much sense to me, honestly. Why would Ross want to keep Philbin and isolate him at the same time? If he's looking to make it easier to fire Philbin in a year why not just fire him now? I couldn't figure a logical reason for that to be true. Not that the things Ears and company do are always logical....

I heard it on Finsiders.

It makes sense and it doesn't make sense. They don't want someone that may be friends with Philbin in case things go south and they have to fire him or if there is some differences in player acquisitions where the GM should have final say (and he will) where a friend of Philbin's might be more inclined to agree with him on players.

Of course someone with ties to Philbin would also have, you would think, some chemistry and synergy that some of the better GM/Coach combinations have. My guess is that it's a recommendation coming from Peterson but that's pure speculation on my part.

Former Packers staff don't poach from Green Bay. Its an unwritten rule they have.

Former Packers staff don't poach from Green Bay. Its an unwritten rule they have.

Then why go through the charade of interviewing Ben McAdoo for the OC position? Just to do him some solid and make him look more appealing for the team that did hire him? I doubt it.

Then why go through the charade of interviewing Ben McAdoo for the OC position? Just to do him some solid and make him look more appealing for the team that did hire him? I doubt it.
Because McAdoo wouldn't have been back with Green Bay either way. His contract had expired and he would not have signed with Green Bay again.

I heard it on Finsiders.

It makes sense and it doesn't make sense. They don't want someone that may be friends with Philbin in case things go south and they have to fire him or if there is some differences in player acquisitions where the GM should have final say (and he will) where a friend of Philbin's might be more inclined to agree with him on players.

Of course someone with ties to Philbin would also have, you would think, some chemistry and synergy that some of the better GM/Coach combinations have. My guess is that it's a recommendation coming from Peterson but that's pure speculation on my part.

That makes no sense, though. You don't want the GM to be friends with Philbin? You don't want the GM to know -- not just well but intimately -- what kind of players the coach is looking for? That relationship is all about being simpatico. Not to mention, the GM has no hiring and firing prerogative over the head coach. Highsmith can walk on all fours, bark like a dog and lick Ross' shoe. Doesn't matter. Only Ross gets to decide who the head coach is.

I get that you acknowledge that but let's not say it makes a lick of sense at all because it doesn't. This whole hypothetical situation reminds me of an old writer's rule. If you're thinking about cutting something, cut it. Don't wait. Just cut it.

If the Dolphins are choosing not to interview a GM candidate because they're worried about might what happen if things go wrong and they have to fire Philbin... they should just fire Philbin.

Whatever the actual reason they decided not to interview Highsmith, his relationship with Philbin wasn't part of it. Or at least it shouldn't have been. :lol:

That makes no sense, though. You don't want the GM to be friends with Philbin? You don't want the GM to know -- not just well but intimately -- what kind of players the coach is looking for? That relationship is all about being simpatico. Not to mention, the GM has no hiring and firing prerogative over the head coach. Highsmith can walk on all fours, bark like a dog and lick Ross' shoe. Doesn't matter. Only Ross gets to decide who the head coach is.

I get that you acknowledge that but let's not say it makes a lick of sense at all because it doesn't. This whole hypothetical situation reminds me of an old writer's rule. If you're thinking about cutting something, cut it. Don't wait. Just cut it.

If the Dolphins are choosing not to interview a GM candidate because they're worried about might what happen if things go wrong and they have to fire Philbin... they should just fire Philbin.

Whatever the actual reason they decided not to interview Highsmith, his relationship with Philbin wasn't part of it. Or at least it shouldn't have been. :lol:
Perhaps Philbin and Highsmith don't get along.

True. Everything.

Packers have been known to block interviews of execs under contract. I'm not saying that's what's happening here, but they have denied interviews in the past.

Back
Top Bottom