An idea for pass coverage...what do you think? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

An idea for pass coverage...what do you think?

dolphinator86

You are TERMINATED!!
Reaction score
Now as we all know the Dolphins have had trouble with coverage so far this year. I know we have had two weeks to prep but i have an idea i would pass along to see what you think.

One of the biggest issues wit our coverage has been TE...I think Smith will do a good job on Colston and limit him...if you dont believe ask reggie wayne or TO how good he is.

So here is my idea we drop a LB and put in Vontae to cover the TE...i see it like this he is big and strong and a sure tackler drop one of our LB let wilson help double over top his side and bell help in run support and the short dump off passes. Vontae can cover the TE and if the TE stays in to protect i dont see Vonate having issues with helping on screens or swing passes on the backs. And one reason we liked him so much was his ability in the run game so he could help there as well.

The biggest issue is we would lose a pass rusher...BUT who says vontae cant come flying in on a blitz or two.

thoughts? or suggestions?

Culver has been doing a good job at covering the TE's, just let him keep doing it. Also keep Smith locked up on Colston the Entire game, Allen or Vontae just can't compete with Colston on those jump balls and Bress will throw a lot of those to him.

Like it. I actually was yelling at the TV during the Indy game that we should drop an LB and let Jason Allen follow Dallas Clark all over the field. Maybe we should just be the defensive coordinators.

Well we can't play the silly soft zone coverages that the Giants played last week.

The Giants D-coordinator came out the other day basically saying what a stupid mistake it was. And said if they play the Saints again they can expect a much better game plan from the Giants.

The Dolphins must pressure them because the Saints offense is based on timing and rhythm. You must disrupt that timing by knocking them off the line and playing tight aggressive defense.

Sitting back in soft zones and not even trying to get to Brees only allows Brees to pick apart the creases in the zones. The Saints are too smart for that garbage game plan.

There needs to be a non-YB or non-GW DB on Shockey, whether it's Davis or Culver.

I was actually hoping Roth would be able to play for the simple reason he could smash the crap out of Shockey at the line and basically make him a non-factor. But oh well.

Yeah, I have to agree with the philosophy that regardless of what coverage we have back there, if Brees is given time to wait and find someone to be open, we're dead. We need to mix up various types of blitzes and get pressure on him constantly so he's never comfortable sitting in the pocket. Even if we don't sack him, just to put him on his rear every pass play sends a message. So if we do that, we are going to have to have a press coverage package with our Safties protecting deep. It's a risk/reward type of setup, but if we can limit the number of big plays versus the number of times Brees is on his back, it's 100X better than just sitting back and letting him have all day to find an open guy.

Back
Top Bottom