An interesting take on Phin's "Money Ball" approach to offseason | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

An interesting take on Phin's "Money Ball" approach to offseason

Need to be careful with this. Many times "quick strike offenses" are defeated by teams that can run the ball and control the clock.
That's why "Bend but dont break" is the wrong approach for this team.

A defense that allows the other team to control time of possession simply keeps our own offense off the field too long.

That is why the Fangio scheme was the wrong fit for a team with an explosive offense.

You need a "defend every blade of grass" mentality. At times you will get beat for a score, but you will generate far more 3 and outs and give your own offense more reps.

I really hope we abandon that bend but dont break bullshit.

That's why "Bend but dont break" is the wrong approach for this team.

A defense that allows the other team to control time of possession simply keeps our own offense off the field too long.

That is why the Fangio scheme was the wrong fit for a team with an explosive offense.

You need a "defend every blade of grass" mentality. At times you will get beat for a score, but you will generate far more 3 and outs and give your own offense more reps.

I really hope we abandon that bend but dont break bullshit.
Agree. I also hope we are not building defense that is built to play with the lead. I heard that so many times In past. It doesn’t work out. I just hope we have aggressive physical bully defense.

I think I posted something along these lines. If not, I definitely thought it. Another thing the Dolphins are doing is finding value in market inefficiencies (what makes teams good the flies under the radar and doesn't get rewarded in big contracts as a result) and also replacing what they lost in the aggregate.

Two minor quibbles with what this guy was focused on, though. Wilkins' value wasn't as a run stuffer as much as a guy that was good against the run while also being able to collapse the front of the pocket -- QBs couldn't get comfortable and get good vision right in front because so often he beat the pass pro, and that directly impacts your coverage. The other thing where a guy like Van Ginkel gets missed is takeaways are such an important stat and he was very good at impacting field position and possessions because he had nine forced fumbles/fumble recoveries/interceptions in 70-some games (and I think he blocked a punt or two, as well). That's where you really miss him and X is that they could be beaten a few times and then erase the chance for the other team to even kick a field goal by creating a turnover.

Again, that's minor. They are going to go with a rotation on the line to try to offset what they are losing in Wilkins and they are focused more on getting better playmakers at LB. They're using metrics and finding hidden value. It's smart. They have players that are invaluable to success. They had to make some tough decisions about some good players in order to hold onto the must-haves. It seems like there's a plan here and that's encouraging.
Very well put. Said what I was thinking, only way better than I could.

Back
Top Bottom