Analysis of past 10 drafts by CNN/SI | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Analysis of past 10 drafts by CNN/SI

Ohio Fanatic

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/dr_z/07/07/drz.drafthistory/index.html

Even though I think Dr Z is a complete moron, this one article makes some sense why we've struggled the past several years. It charts relative draft success in the first three rounds over past 10 years. While JJ had good luck in rounds 4-5, even he had major busts in the 1st round like Wanny. At least our 2nd rounders have played well (except 2003).

i just realized something.....over the last 10 years, only Green Bay and Frisco have better overall records than we do. not too shabby, lol.

Ohio Fanatic said:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/dr_z/07/07/drz.drafthistory/index.html

Even though I think Dr Z is a complete moron, this one article makes some sense why we've struggled the past several years. It charts relative draft success in the first three rounds over past 10 years. While JJ had good luck in rounds 4-5, even he had major busts in the 1st round like Wanny. At least our 2nd rounders have played well (except 2003).

Wow....

The Fins are the undisputed champions of draft busts in this chart!
7 complete bust picks.
Impressive.... :lol:

It's amazing that this team has been able to continue to win with that degree of failure in drafting.

That´s a very interesting chart. and that´s the proof Miami loves to bust picks on the early rounds. And that´s with the team trading high picks all the time. Had we made those picks I am sure the number would be even higher.

Another telling statistic is that only 2 players picked 1st round are still with the team.By far the worst in the NFL.Abyssmal evaluation of talent.

However we did get Ricky for 2-No 1s so the statistics are a little skewed.

How did we manage to keep winning during this period.?We should be having 6-10 seasons instead of 10-6 seasons.

Its obvious this team has been built through FA rather than the draft although we have
gotten some starters from low draft picks.

FinFan4Life814 said:
i just realized something.....over the last 10 years, only Green Bay and Frisco have better overall records than we do. not too shabby, lol.
And in that time frame SF and GB each have one more Super Bowl victory than we do too.

a lot of other teams have had the opportunity to select picks in the first 10 overall picks, but we haven't done that since like 1989? there's a lot less room for error when you pick that high. we've picked very poorly. Avery, Fletcher, Green all come to mind, but they haven't had a shot at a no-brainer since Richmond Webb.

CrunchTime said:
Another telling statistic is that only 2 players picked 1st round are still with the team.By far the worst in the NFL.Abyssmal evaluation of talent.

I don't think you can call it an abyssmal evaluation of talent when we've been able to find great talents in the other rounds. in my opinion its a combination of bad luck and a will to consistently draft for need before value. Jamar Fletcher was just ridiculous, though. In hindsight anyway.

CrunchTime said:
How did we manage to keep winning during this period.?We should be having 6-10 seasons instead of 10-6 seasons.

Its obvious this team has been built through FA rather than the draft although we have
gotten some starters from low draft picks.

Actually, it might have something to do with the great success we had in the drafts that you just blasted. We owe much our success since Marino left to Jimmy's defensive picks: Madison, Surtain, Thomas, and Taylor (and Gardener before he left).

The Dolphins have been using the draft differently than other teams the past few years, since we felt we were so close to being a superbowl team, we haven't been looking for the best player and building for the future. Our draft success is being overlooked, we havent had much success with our first rd. picks, but our 2nd rd and later rd. picks have been excellent. If you miss on a first rd. talent 1 year but get a guy like chambers in the 2nd you didnt fall off by much. Guys we drafted our contributing whether they were first rd picks or not. Mcmichael, chambers, taylor, madison, greenwood, surtain we get talent in the draft.

bakedmatt said:
a lot of other teams have had the opportunity to select picks in the first 10 overall picks, but we haven't done that since like 1989? there's a lot less room for error when you pick that high. we've picked very poorly. Avery, Fletcher, Green all come to mind, but they haven't had a shot at a no-brainer since Richmond Webb.
Yes I think that is a partial answer to the riddle.We have never had a shot at the top surefire picks in the first round.Its always been the next level of first round picks who could be just as easily being selected in the 2nd or even 3 rd rounds .

Carey is a good example.He could have gone in 2nd round if it had not been a bad year for OL and teams with great need at the position.

Back
Top Bottom