another wr prospect im intrigued by | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

another wr prospect im intrigued by

Coach_Rob

Club Member
Reaction score
Marcus Wheaton. im not sure where is projected right now, but the guy is a playmaker with the speed we need. reminds me alot of mike wallace. he is in my top 3 wrs i want
he is 6'1 182lbs 4.34-4.4 40 time
88 rec 1207 yds 11td. 16 rush 116yds 2 td
Senior Bowl Invite:
Invite accepted!
East/West Shrine Invite:
Hasn't accepted an invite to the East/West Shrine Game.
NFL Combine Invite:
Hasn't accepted an invite to the NFL combine.

Markus Wheaton is a lanky, skinny wide receiver from Oregon State. Standing at just over 6'0" with great speed, Wheaton is one of the premier deep threats of this class. He is a notable track runner who defeated Oregon athlete De'Anthony Thomas in the 100m dash prior to the 2012 season. He has made it a habit of getting behind defenses and taking passes to the house. However, aside from the speed, Wheaton's biggest strength is his hands. He has strong, reliable hands and has shown the ability to make catches in traffic, catch contested balls and go up and get the ball in the air. Wheaton also possesses quick feet which makes him a threat after the catch and allows him to separate on routes. His route running needs development but he has shown the ability to run the entire route tree. Wheaton also has been able to get off the press in college but might struggle early on in the NFL due to his lack of bulk, strength and physicality. This is especially problematic on short routes over the middle where he often gets bumped off his route by defenders.
Wheaton might be the most underrated Wide Receiver in this draft. It is very rare to find wide receivers with his combination of speed and strong hands. His quick feet and good run after catch skills only give me more confidence in his overall game. Wheaton should be selected in the first three rounds of the 2013 NFL Draft and I have a very hard time believing that he will be anything less than a success in the NFL.

Experience:
  1. Played in and started all 13 games.
  2. Played in and started all 12 games.
  3. Played in 12 games and started 8 games.
  4. Played in 12 games.

Accolades:
  1. First-Team All-Pac-12 selection.
  2. Pac-12 Conference Honorable Mention.

Known Injuries:
  1. Missed the second half of the game against Washington after suffering a concussion on a big hit from Sean Parker. Also missed practices after the Washington State game with a nagging foot injury.
  2. Dealt with hip flexor during the preseason practices but did not miss any games.
http://www.draftnikcentral.com/draft-prospects/player-profile/?player_id=922
[video=youtube;b-RkS8riVX0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-RkS8riVX0[/video]

I'm down for the cause. How bad was his concussion? Would hate for him to be a risk like Jahvid Best.

Would our WR corps be "fixed" if we added Stedman Bailey and this guy while addressing CB and pass rush with the first couple picks?

I'm down for the cause. How bad was his concussion? Would hate for him to be a risk like Jahvid Best.

Would our WR corps be "fixed" if we added Stedman Bailey and this guy while addressing CB and pass rush with the first couple picks?
i really like bailey too, but i think if we dont get a true #1 in fa then i would grab someone other than bailey.

Wheaton, Dobson and Bailey are my three fav WRs in the draft so far.

I don't doubt his quickness and speed--he definitely has those. I really like his hands catching and body control to keep his feet in bounds and mostly under him. He even understands leverage when he puts his helmet down and grinds out the final yard. He seems like he understands when and how to secure the ball after the catch. Lots of positives.

But is he really 6'1? He seems shorter and definitely is frail by NFL standards, so he'd have to bulk up a bit. Not a guy that I'd take in the top 3 rounds, but after that if we still need a WR I think he might be a good prospect.

Wheaton could be a Mike Wallace. Or he could be a Tiquan Underwood. Stedman Bailey is my favorite receiver in this Draft.

Wheaton could be a Mike Wallace. Or he could be a Tiquan Underwood. Stedman Bailey is my favorite receiver in this Draft.

Considering Tiquan has roasted our secondary on several occasions this might not be a bad thing. I want atleast two receiver out of this draft the other one named S.Bailey!

I've been on the Wheaton bandwagon for awhile now. If I'm not driving then I'm navigating.

But is he really 6'1? He seems shorter and definitely is frail by NFL standards, so he'd have to bulk up a bit. Not a guy that I'd take in the top 3 rounds, but after that if we still need a WR I think he might be a good prospect.

By comparison, Bailey is listed at 5'10" & 188. Holgersen (W Va HC) runs a scheme like Mike Leach... not exactly pro friendly IMO.

Unlike Ginn, Wheaton isn't afraid of contact. Further, Oregon St runs a pro style offense.

p.s. Lemon from Syracuse intrigues me but appears to have the same measurables as Binns.

Back
Top Bottom