Any truth to this trade rumor? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Any truth to this trade rumor?

FireInTheNole

Renolegade
Reaction score
ESPN's Chris Mortensen suggested during a special edition of Sunday NFL Countdown that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is eyeing the possibility of swinging a trade with the Dolphins for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2008 draft.

Such a deal would allow the 'Boys to bag running back Darren McFadden, who played college football at Jones' alma mater of Arkansas.

Per Mort, any such deal would have to include the rights to Cowboys running back Marion Barber, who is slated to be a restricted free agent. To make it happen, the Cowboys would have to work out a sign-and-trade deal before Barber gets a chance to ink an offer sheet that would force the Cowboys to match the terms or let him go in exchange for compensation. Thus, the safest bet for the 'Boys would be to tender Barber at the highest possible level, which would force any team that signs him to give up a first-round pick and a third-round pick. Those extra picks then could be used to sweeten the pot for the top spot in the draft.

And it's clear that the Cowboys are going to have to find a way to enhance the two first-rounders that they can offer up for the No. 1 pick. Under the revised draft order, the Cowboys pick at No. 22 (from Cleveland) and at No. 28. Under the trade chart, the No. 22 overall pick is worth 780 points and the No. 28 selection is worth 660 points. The No. 1 selection has a value of 3,000 points; thus, the Cowboys would be a whopping 1,560 points short.

Though the trade chart arguably needs to be adjusted to reflect the fact that the enormous financial investment that is now required when using the top pick makes the prospects of a move up even more fraught with risk, the Fins could justify the 1,560-point gap by placing that value on Barber, who coupled with Ronnie Brown could give Miami a deadly one-two punch in the backfield.

Some readers think that the framework for a deal is already in place, and was part of the unspoken understanding that allowed the Dolphins to have their way with the Dallas front office and coaching staff. If that's true it wouldn't surprise us. Jones surely covets McFadden, and our guess is that he is willing to do whatever is necessary to get him.

There is a long post about this either here in the draft forum or the dolphins talk one, I can't remember. As much as this is rumored I still don't believe we will trade with Dallas.

There is a lot of talk about this issue in the Miami Dolphins Forum.

Personally, I wouldn't mind getting Barber and teaming him with Ronnie; However that probably means we would trade Ronnie, Chatman, or Ricky (I hope we keep Ronnie for that 1-2 punch).

What I think might be in the works is a three way trade between us, the cowboys and another team. Heres what I think would happen:

Dolphins give up- 1st overall pick and maybe a few other crappy picks/players
Dolphins get- a pick in the 2-16 range, plus either the Cowboys 22nd or 28th pick, plus a 2nd rounder or a teams 1st round pick next year.

Cowboys give up- Marion Barber, 22nd pick, 29th pick, maybe a 2nd &/or thier 1st rounder next season.
Cowboys get- 1st overall, maybe a few other players/picks.

Other team gives up- 1st round pick (probably in the 2-16 pick range) and maybe a 2nd rounder too.
Other team gets- Marion Barber, Cowboys 22nd or 28th pick

It may sound impractical, but it could happen... wait for it.

So far this is still all just conjecture. I haven't seen or heard anything from Dallas or Miami in regards to this, and won't get my hopes up unless and until it's actually an official statement/ occurence. In other words, I think it's mainly pre-draft BS made up by reporters hoping to make a splash in the "news".

Dallas would have to give up an awful lot to move up from #22 to #1. The "value" chart for draft picks that most GMs use would mean a ton of picks and/or players would need to be exchanged to make this happen.

So far this is still all just conjecture. I haven't seen or heard anything from Dallas or Miami in regards to this, and won't get my hopes up unless and until it's actually an official statement/ occurence. In other words, I think it's mainly pre-draft BS made up by reporters hoping to make a splash in the "news".

Chris Mortenson reported that there might be a trade between us and the Cowboys involving the 1st overall pick and Marion Barber. Just because he reported it doesn't mean it will happen; but Chris Mortenson is normally right on target with his information...

Ireland also said the 1st pick is just as important as the 22nd pick..You have to pick the right guy, during Senior Bowl week...who has the 22nd pick? hmmmm

I think it's safe to say there is some sort of talks between the Fins and Boys... The way we raped the Dallas' coaching staff without any problem seemed to be a little to easy.

My only concern is Dallas' boards seem to be hating this trade scenario. They all want to keep Barber and resign Hampton and Flozell. Their Cap number isn't exactly in great condition either.

I think afew things will have to be factored in if we expect a trade. I think we'll have to take less value for the pic (which is fine with me as long as Ireland and BP don't covet a guy as a Hall of Famer with the first pic) and the Boys will have to find us that compensation even if it's a less value and have to find the cap space.

Ireland also said the 1st pick is just as important as the 22nd pick..You have to pick the right guy, during Senior Bowl week...who has the 22nd pick? hmmmm

Had he stayed with the Cowboys he would have had the 22nd pick. I think that's why he made that statement.

I think it's safe to say there is some sort of talks between the Fins and Boys... The way we raped the Dallas' coaching staff without any problem seemed to be a little to easy.

My only concern is Dallas' boards seem to be hating this trade scenario. They all want to keep Barber and resign Hampton and Flozell. Their Cap number isn't exactly in great condition either.

I think afew things will have to be factored in if we expect a trade. I think we'll have to take less value for the pic (which is fine with me as long as Ireland and BP don't covet a guy as a Hall of Famer with the first pic) and the Boys will have to find us that compensation even if it's a less value and have to find the cap space.

I'm with you Spray. It is rumored that Carpenter and Spears are available, and frankly both are much better than any depth we have on this team (and both could reasonably star on our D). If the 'Boys offered thier 2 firsts, those 2 players, and a 2nd rounder (hell even a 3rd considering the apparent depth of this draft) for example I would be all over it.

I'm with you Spray. It is rumored that Carpenter and Spears are available, and frankly both are much better than any depth we have on this team (and both could reasonably star on our D). If the 'Boys offered thier 2 firsts, those 2 players, and a 2nd rounder (hell even a 3rd considering the apparent depth of this draft) for example I would be all over it.

Completely agree. Spears and Carpenter would both start. With Dallas' two picks, we could target Otah and Rodgers-Cromartie. That's four quality players, and we would still have three picks in Round 2 to target a NT (Bryant, Okam, or Rubin), a TE (Davis or Rucker), a WR (Caldwell, Bennett, or Manningham), or another LB (Crable, Bell, or Groves).

That would be a dream scenario . . . which is probably why it won't happen.

it makes no sense whatsoever to target a WR with one of our 2nd round picks. If all that, we would just send that pick to CIN for "ocho cinco", who is way better than anything this draft has to offer at WR. yo, parcells, man stop playin around man, "call him". :)

after looking into the teams that would be in need of a RB...i dont c any that would need one so bad as to give up a #1 for a Barber or anything. DAL would have to accept less than the #1 and #3 if they should tender him at that high a level.

It may serve DAL better to only tender him a 2nd round tender, and maybe they get someone to bite. This would give them a second 2nd rounder and they can then probably use the #22, #28, the #2 they get from Barber and their #3 along with M Spears and Carpenter.

I dont know what Spears and Carpenter would count on the draft chart, but with the #22, #28, a #2 and #3 that equals 2000 pts of the 3000 pts needed. Maybe Spears(a former late #1 pick) and Carpenter(also a former mid #1 pick) they reach the 3000 pts?

if we could end up with the #22, #28, #32, #57, #64, and DAL's 3rd rounder...we could then send our #57 pick to CIN for Johnson.

We would then use some of the $35mil to sign Adams, Faneca, and Sopoaga via FA. Use some to re-sign Bell, Camarillo, and Pope. Reeves would come cheap to compete with Daniels for NB.

We then can use the #22 on Brohm(if he's still there) if he isnt then we draft a CB.

We then can draft the best available LT at #28.

We can draft Joe Flacco or Andre Woodson at #32 if we werent able to grab Brohm at #22 or the best available CB if we grabbed a LT at #28 or LT if we had to pick a CB at #28.

#64 is for Zach Thomas' replacement.

SS would have to be manned by Y Bell, a cheap FA and/or maybe the SS we find with DAL's 3rd rounder.

Draft a TE in the 4th round.

then that would leave us with Beck and Green at QB with the rookie as the 3rd stringer.

Adams and Faneca manning the left side of the OL with Satele at C and Shelton and Carey manning the right side. the rookie, Toledo, Mormino, and Alabi would be the backups.

at WR we would then have Ginn Jr, Ocho Cinco, Hagan, Camarillo, and say one we draft with our compensatory pick or in the 6th round.

at TE we have the rookie, Martin, and Halterman. we should cut Peele.

at RB we have Ronnie, Lorenzo, and Ricky.

at FB we have Mauia and a 7th rounder.

then on defense, we have Sopoaga and Soliai at NT.

Spears, Roth, Holiday, and R Wright at DE.

at OLB we would have Taylor, Porter, Moses, and A Wright.

at ILB we would have Crowder, Carpenter, the rookie, Pope, and Smith.

at CB we would have W Allen, the rookie, Goodman, Reeves, and Daniels.

at S we would have J Allen, Bell, the rookie, and Hill.

Re-sign Denney for LS. at K, Feely. at P we have Fields.

Booker and Ginn share KR/PR duties.

lets go.

come on Parcells, man, stop playin around, and call ocho cinco man.

Back
Top Bottom