Anyone else not sold on Millner? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else not sold on Millner?

wallace17

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I've been watching a lot more of his tapes since the media has said were interested in him.

No doubt he's a good corner, I just wonder if he's really THAT much better than the next tier.

great speed good awareness plays the ball well but he's not really as agressive as i'd like the number 1 corner in the draft to be. He's a decent tackler (anything is a upgrade from Smith i guess) but I really question if he was on another team that wasn't so staked with talent how he'd do. A team that doesn't absolutely dominte the opposing teams O line and only give the QB a few second to make an errand throw.

Again, I'm not going to act like i know an extreme amount about this guy so if anyone here can fill me in on why he's the clear cut #1 CB in their mind please elaborate.

Well for what it's worth Mike Maylock is not sold on him being the number 1 CB either. He likes Hayden from Houston (hope I spelled that correctly). If Mike is correct both should be available at 12. I would be happy with either

I've been watching a lot more of his tapes since the media has said were interested in him.

No doubt he's a good corner, I just wonder if he's really THAT much better than the next tier.

great speed good awareness plays the ball well but he's not really as agressive as i'd like the number 1 corner in the draft to be. He's a decent tackler (anything is a upgrade from Smith i guess) but I really question if he was on another team that wasn't so staked with talent how he'd do. A team that doesn't absolutely dominte the opposing teams O line and only give the QB a few second to make an errand throw.

Again, I'm not going to act like i know an extreme amount about this guy so if anyone here can fill me in on why he's the clear cut #1 CB in their mind please elaborate.

Alabama hasn't ever had a good pass rush... they win by stopping the run and playing great cover 3 in the secondary

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

* In Nick Saban ERA

ahhhh your crazy. I hope that attitude drops him all the way to #12. Considering our schedule we're going to need all the help we can get in the secondary

To my eyes, the advantage of Milliner is he is pro-ready. You could plug him in Day 1 and expect him to be fairly solid.

But I question his upside. I think you're drafting 90% of his potential already. I just don't see him as an elite player at the next level, so much as a solid contributor.

Rhodes has upside. Amerson has huge upside (though arguably a lot less pro-ready). Trufant has some upside. Poyer has tremendous upside, imo. Ditto Alford. Hayden I'm not so sure about as I haven't really looked at him.

With these guys, the first season or so could be rocky. They could leave you wondering after 6 months if you shouldn't have just gone up and taken Milliner. But over time, I think some of them will repay that faith in spades. Whereas with Milliner he's going to have to work his tail off just to justify where he was drafted in the first place.

I agree he is not at the same level as P. Peterson or Morris Claiborne, and might question taking him in the top 6. However I'd be happy to take him at 12. Talent equaling vale would be in the 8-13 range. He started 2 years but is essentially a 1 year wonder since the big CB from Bama was in the other side prior

To my eyes, the advantage of Milliner is he is pro-ready. You could plug him in Day 1 and expect him to be fairly solid.

But I question his upside. I think you're drafting 90% of his potential already. I just don't see him as an elite player at the next level, so much as a solid contributor.

Rhodes has upside. Amerson has huge upside (though arguably a lot less pro-ready). Trufant has some upside. Poyer has tremendous upside, imo. Ditto Alford. Hayden I'm not so sure about as I haven't really looked at him.

With these guys, the first season or so could be rocky. They could leave you wondering after 6 months if you shouldn't have just gone up and taken Milliner. But over time, I think some of them will repay that faith in spades. Whereas with Milliner he's going to have to work his tail off just to justify where he was drafted in the first place.

Don't see how a guy with Poyer's physical limitations has more upside than Milliner. I mean, I like Poyer for Miami. Good ball instincts, but he's not big or fast enough to play man with the better WR's in the league.

there's not much upside with poyer but he's very good in off coverages and zone...has good ball and route recognition and instincts...damn good cod and hips and feet...lacks long speed and terrific burst...

there's not much upside with poyer but he's very good in off coverages and zone...has good ball and route recognition and instincts...damn good cod and hips and feet...lacks long speed and terrific burst...

Think he has to be on our radar. Good fit. Can move into the slot too, and he tackles really well for a guy that size. But I think 77 is where we start giving him a look - with guys like Alford, Amerson, Taylor to likely be available at either 42 or 54. Seemed like Alford might blow up after the combine (especially after showing well at Senior Bowl Week), but the rise of Hayden and Taylor (and maybe even Amerson) have taken the media spotlight. I have Alford and Taylor pretty much tied as prospects. I think Alford has a lot of man upside. To me, he has the best natural movement of any CB in this class. Has great flexibility. Taylor, though, is a force on the field, and he's a better fit for Miami. Much better hitter, more of a play maker.

Like Poyer, Amerson projects better to teams that are going to run a lot of zone, but the reasons are different. I think Amerson can improve in man, but I don't think it'll ever be a strength for him. He's just too tight in the hips - whereas for Poyer it's size and lack of speed. Amerson is the bigger, better athlete, and he has a fallback position at safety, so I think Miami will prefer Amerson.

I dont think he is worth a trade up if that is what you are asking. The only player I would trade up for is Dion Jordan, but not into the top 5 either. AT #12, if Millner is there I would take him EASILY and not give it a second thought. The kid has all the goods you are looking for and is a very complete player. He single-handedly shut down Tyler Eifert in the title game. He can cover the slot, outside, TEs, Zone, Man, WHATEVER you want. He is well worth the #12 pick. Top 5 maybe not.

Think he has to be on our radar. Good fit. Can move into the slot too, and he tackles really well for a guy that size. But I think 77 is where we start giving him a look - with guys like Alford, Amerson, Taylor to likely be available at either 42 or 54. Seemed like Alford might blow up after the combine (especially after showing well at Senior Bowl Week), but the rise of Hayden and Taylor (and maybe even Amerson) have taken the media spotlight. I have Alford and Taylor pretty much tied as prospects. I think Alford has a lot of man upside. To me, he has the best natural movement of any CB in this class. Has great flexibility. Taylor, though, is a force on the field, and he's a better fit for Miami. Much better hitter, more of a play maker.

Like Poyer, Amerson projects better to teams that are going to run a lot of zone, but the reasons are different. I think Amerson can improve in man, but I don't think it'll ever be a strength for him. He's just too tight in the hips - whereas for Poyer it's size and lack of speed. Amerson is the bigger, better athlete, and he has a fallback position at safety, so I think Miami will prefer Amerson.

i agree with a lot of that but i don't see the stiffness in amersons hips that you do...i see some sketchy awareness at times...taylor in the top 40 is too high for me given those dinosaur like 30 1/2 inch arms...that arm length bothers me...but it does appear he could go even in the late 1st now...too rich for me though

as for amerson and safety i don't really see a fit there cause i don't think he's physical enough or a striker...i hear alford is on our radar at pick #42...and poyer i agree with the pick #77 target...it's where i have him on my miami targets thread...

what i don't want is blidi wreh wilson...yeah he's long and has good tools but he doesn't show em enough and he trails guys too much...no thank you...have no idea why he's carrying a top 50 grade these days...

one more thing about amerson...he has elite tools...terrific size 6 ft 1 205 lbs...great feet i see fluid hips fluid in his transition and his pedal...i mean he looks like the prototype...you shore up that technique and coach him up about his responsibilities in zone and i think you might have yourself a player...talents definitely there...high round 1 physical talents...

but likely boom or bust imo...either he buys in and he gets it or he's out of the league in 3 years imo

Don't see how a guy with Poyer's physical limitations has more upside than Milliner. I mean, I like Poyer for Miami. Good ball instincts, but he's not big or fast enough to play man with the better WR's in the league.
I see Poyer as a potential future Richard Sherman type. OK, Sherman has a couple of inches on him. But his ceiling to me is as a physical, corner with above average instincts. Sherman ran a similar 40.

I think you get a much more impactful, playmaking type of CB out of Poyer than you will with Milliner.

My point on the other CBs is that you are buying flawed goods which can maybe be polished into diamonds, whereas Milliner is a decent gemstone already polished and cut, but not likelyt to appreciate in value.

poyer and richard sherman do not make sense to me...sherman wins physically at the los and gets guys off their preferred routes and is very physical...poyers slight framed and while he uses his hands doesn't have the upper body strength sherman possesses...odd comparison

Back
Top Bottom