Are college players' bodies being abused? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are college players' bodies being abused?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
I put this into the draft forum because it pertains to the health of the players entering the draft. Mods, you can move it if it is appropriate.
When a college football player suffers an injury in a game or in practice he is sent to the affiliated team doctor. If he wants a second opinion, he is on his own.
In my conversation with GMs and NFL team doctors, they unanimously agree that when they get college players most of them are already damaged goods. Now no one from the NFL will come out and say this publicly because they don’t want to disturb the free feeder system.
I know for a fact that the NFL is truly concerned about their liability in regards to past and current players’ concussion lawsuits, and are quietly frustrated that college football doesn’t share the responsibility and the potential fiscal damages that are lurking on the horizon.
One NFC GM I spoke to recently told me that there is definitely a consistency of injury patterns you can tie to a school. One storied program for example has a high degree of torn labrums and shoulder issues that he thinks comes from their weight room program. More specifically, their strength coach’s obsession with power cleans/snatches. Another program seems to have an unusual high number of knee and hamstring issues.
The problem is that there really are no checks and balances, or a union in place to protect college athletes. They simply have to do as they are told with no questions asked. If they dare question the system or the regimen they are then labeled as renegade or even selfish.
Read more:http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Are-college-players-bodies-being-abused.html

Yes, some are. That's why i can't understand for the life of me all these kids that only go to schools were they can start as true freshmen instead of sitting 1-2 years....that's only go to beat them up and wear them down before they are draft eligible. Now sure, no competitor wants to sit and some of these kids want to put their name in the NCAA record books, but they are taking years off their potential NFL careers by being overplayed as physically immature 18-19 year old kids (which is also why we do not need a tournament, and why we didn't need a 12th game or all these conference championship games that mean nothing!).

Then again, you can say the same thing about HS kids going to college as well. Being big business in some high school states, i guarantee some kids are being forced to play hurt......just like the movie Varsity Blues.

Whatever, I'll take a messed up shoulder to get a $80,000+ education for free. If they don't care about that then screw 'em it was there choice to play football for a living.

Back
Top Bottom