Are the Dolphins gonna take the entire 10 minutes.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins gonna take the entire 10 minutes....

zach8111

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
or do you think they will sign someone before the draft?

I think they are gonna take all 10 minutes trying to trade.

The Oakland Raiders were the only team, recently, not to sign there guy before the draft.

If I had to bet. I would say we A.) trade the pick before the draft or B.) Do NOT sign the person we will select if no one trades with us; and take all 10 minutes up.

By signing the person you want before the draft, you eliminate the fear factor of other teams not knowing who you will select. Thus, you might not have teams making last second trade offers (in order to get their guy) that are too good to pass up.

or do you think they will sign someone before the draft?

I think they are gonna take all 10 minutes trying to trade.

The Oakland Raiders were the only team, recently, not to sign there guy before the draft.

I was extremely surprised that Oakland didn't announce [SIZE=-1]Russell's signing almost as soon as they announced his selection last year. Came back to bite them hard. I hope Miami learned from Oakland's mistake.

Obviously, we don't know what the Fins draft board will look like on draft day. But if there are two or three guys bunched at the top with similar grades and we can't trade out of the spot, we should take the guy who's willing to sign. There is no way in the world this team can afford a holdout. We need the dude at every camp, practice, meeting, and charity car wash so he's ready to hit the field running come September. Let someone else have their top draft pick show up in mid-August for the first time.

[/SIZE]

I hope so and for the reasons Publix listed. Also, we're going to be waiting for 3 more months, I don't want the face time to be too short. There's nothing more exciting then when the Fins are on the clock.

If I had to bet. I would say we A.) trade the pick before the draft or B.) Do NOT sign the person we will select if no one trades with us; and take all 10 minutes up.

By signing the person you want before the draft, you eliminate the fear factor of other teams not knowing who you will select. Thus, you might not have teams making last second trade offers (in order to get their guy) that are too good to pass up.

We posted at the exact same minute. :)

I understand what you are saying about not signing the guy, but can a team that really wants our pick be assured they can work something out with us in less than ten minutes? The foundation for these trades is usually already set before the draft... the only thing that could change things is if someone sweetens the pot. No team is going to want to look like they caved to Parcells at the last minute, so we should have a pretty good idea how far other teams are willing to go to get our pick before the ten minute clock starts.

Perhaps, and I'm not a contract lawyer so I'm not positive, Miami could agree to terms with more than one player on the condition that the player is selected by Miami. We could then field calls on draft day, and if we don't like what we are offered, we could go with a guy who agreed to terms.

It's dicey, I know, but I don't like holdouts. These rookies need reps in order to help us in 2008, and they won't get them showing up ten days before the season opener.

I hope so and for the reasons Publix listed. Also, we're going to be waiting for 3 more months, I don't want the face time to be too short. There's nothing more exciting then when the Fins are on the clock.

I agree 100%. Based purely on statistics (which, yes I know are flawed) a team will only get the 1st overall pick every 32 years, lets enjoy it while we have it. What fun would it be if we announced who we where gonna draft now (and it wasn't a smokescreen)?

I love the antisipation (SP?) and reading all the speculations, etc.

miami will prob sign ag uy before the draft if we can't trade out. I mean who will someone trade up for? who knows cuz it didnt happen in the past wiht guys like bush, young, thomas, peterson, and ppl of that nature. maybe we ctach a break once wiht this ENTIRELY NEW REIGIME.

Back
Top Bottom