Are there any TE worth drafting? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are there any TE worth drafting?

rmp1515

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I just want everyone's opinion on whether there are any TE's in the draft worth drafting this year. IMO that is one of our weakest positions and I think if we can get a good TE anywhere between the 2nd and 3rd that we need to jump on it. Do you think the Dolphins are looking to draft one? What do you guys think?

1. Dustin Keller, Purdue
2. *Martellus Bennett, Texas A&M
3. Fred Davis, USC
4. John Carlson, Notre Dame
5. Brad Cottam, Tennessee
6. Kellen Davis, Michigan State
7. Martin Rucker, Missouri
8. Craig Stevens, California
9. Jacob Tamme, Kentucky
10. *Jerimichael Finley, Texas
11. J. J. Finley, Oklahoma
12.. Darrell Strong, Pittsburgh
13. Joey Haynos, Maryland
14. Gary Barnidge, Louisville
15. Tom Santi, Virginia
16. Adam Bishop, Nevada
17. Derek Fine, Kansas
18. Kolomona Kapanui, West Texas A&M
* - indicates Underclassman

Why not draft Kellen Davis in the 4th Rd. He has major upside and has all the tools to be successful in this league. Kellen could be a monster contributor one day for an offense. Almost 6'7, weighs 262 lbs, great hands, runs a 4.6 I dunno what else you want. Has already come out and said he has talked with Miami many times and would love to play for them.

tight end is a crap shoot in my opinion. we need a good blocking tight end for beck's sake next year, so who knows. the top 7 TE's coming out are pretty good - i like carlson, cottam, and davis - but all are guys that i could live without.

I really like Martellus Bennett out of Texas AM. Not only will he become a valuable red zone threat but he takes pride in his blocking as he is a true gritty knuckles in the dirt blocker. The only problem with him that I see is his maturity. He talks a lot. He might rub front offices the wrong way which will keep him out of the top 50.

Miami has brought in Dustin Kellern for a workout but I'm not overly impressed with him. He drops to many passes and looks to be a workout warrior. I would be careful selecting him on the first day. He also is not a great blocker.

Miami has also shown consider interest in Kellen Davis. A very frustrating prospect to evaluate due to the way he was utilitized.

I really like Martellus Bennett out of Texas AM. Not only will he become a valuable red zone threat but he takes pride in his blocking as he is a true gritty knuckles in the dirt blocker. The only problem with him that I see is his maturity. He talks a lot. He might rub front offices the wrong way which will keep him out of the top 50.

I agree, I also really like Martellus Bennett. But I wouldn't be at all disappointed if we took Kellen Davis either.

Tight end is a position where you might get a good player late in the draft. Randy McMichael was a fourth round pick, he's not a a pro bowler or anything but he started for us and played well for a while. Antonio Gates I think went undrafted.

tight end is a crap shoot in my opinion. we need a good blocking tight end for beck's sake next year, so who knows. the top 7 TE's coming out are pretty good - i like carlson, cottam, and davis - but all are guys that i could live without.

There is a good chance that we'll take Jake Long number one, and possibly another lineman in round two. I think that drafting a TE with pass catching ability to serve as a safety valve would be more helpful to an inexperienced QB.

If we are drafting for pure upside, it has to be Brad Cottam. He's 6'7, 270lbs, and a former offensive lineman who runs a low 4.6 with soft hands.

He has injury concerns but if he pans out, he could be one of the greatest combination tight ends in the league.

I don't know if I have ever seen a draft prospect get so much attention and praise, for accomplishing as little as Brad Cottam has done. 21 catches, 1 TD...TOTAL... in four injury riddled seasons at Tennessee...sounds a lot more like an undrafted free agent than a potential 3rd round pick to me. I know Parcells likes them big, but come on, an ounce of college productivity would be nice.

If we are drafting for pure upside, it has to be Brad Cottam. He's 6'7, 270lbs, and a former offensive lineman who runs a low 4.6 with soft hands.

He has injury concerns but if he pans out, he could be one of the greatest combination tight ends in the league.

Remember our mantra should be production over potential. The biggest problem with our previous drafts is we reached for potential verses choosing the right productive players. Brad Cottam has never really survived a full season with missing games with injury. Plus go look up his game stats. Not very exciting. Yeah I know he did well at Senior Bowl, but I take to game film much more than one week of practice.

Back
Top Bottom