are we going to go into '04 with AJ taking snaps? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

are we going to go into '04 with AJ taking snaps?

north

Practice Squad
Reaction score
we have AJ Feeley as our starting QB. we got a new reciever (Boston) now but an origional second string QB throwing to him. i think some work should be put into this, what about you?

As long as Fiedler is within Florida state lines, the fear of him being tabbed starter remains. That might be drastic, but that's how I feel

This has been talked to death, but I'll post again.

I'm not happy with just AJ feeley. I really hope for the best from the guy, he has potential, but i"m really not just happy with AJ. He's started a grand total of 5 games in his 3 year career, his college career was suspect, and he had a shoulder injury. He was even a 3rd stringer in Philly. I've heard the "Detmer was a holder" arguments, but those are total bull crap. Fact is, in the past, backup QB's have played well enough to unseat FRANCHISE QB's (Warner Greene, Brady Bledsoe). Had AJ played as good as we hear, he would have FOR SURE been named the 2nd string QB. I'm not saying unseat Mcnabb, but he was a 3rd string QB fair and square. He may have potential, but we got a 3rd string QB.

And now look where we're at....

We have Jay Fiedler. An over paid, againg, under achieving vet QB who we KNOW can't get the job done. He's tapped, he's totally inconsistent. He makes decen enough reads, but he has a noodle arm. He can't stretch the field, is inaccurate as hell, can't hit receivers in stride which means we get 0 YAC, and he hangs our players out to dry over the middle (see Chambers hit last year, followed by Ricky, and Chambers concussion 2 years ago). As is, he can't get it done. He just doens't have the accuracy, and his noodle arm allows the D to stack the box, and snuff Ricky. Some say it's an OL problem. Our OL played piss poor last year, but NO o-line can be expected to line up against a stacked box, and consistenly own them. It just doesn't happen, we need a passing THREAT.

THen we have AJ. Could be great, but as far as I know he's another Sage. Sage has potential, we had him, and he wouldn't cost us an AJ salary (which admittedly is small), A lot of Redskins fans are waiting for him to catch on somewhere, though our FO obviously doesn't trust him enough. And we have AJ....who we all have to admit is a total unknown.

My question is, what happens if AJ flops? To be honest, I don't think he's our next franchise QB. He's a potential that will probably be "adequate" and nothing more. I hope for the best, I'm just being as realistic as a guy who's rooted for a team that fails miserably to produce a competitive QB since Dan left can be.

If AJ flops, we're stuck with Jay for another season. OR we have to WAY overpay for an over aged, over paid, crusty old FA vet to come in. If we don't do that we have to

1. Draft a QB to groom, wait a year or two for him to be ready, and hope he'st he man

or

2. Take another long shot at QB.

Going into this season wtih JUST AJ and Jay (*Sage is a non factor) is a 2-3 year commitement. One that could end up in a total bust, and crap seasons to come.

Now, do YOU feel safe with that? It would be a MUCH better Idea to draft a QB high this year. That way IF Aj flops, we have a potential QB to take the job (Eli, Ben, or Rivers. Not losman, or a lower round pick) next year. If AJ is our franchise Qb, nothign lost, we trade off Rivers (assuming he's the one we get) for a 1st round pick the following year, or we have 2 franchise quality QB's to battle out for the starting spot. Heaven forbid I might add, we have TWO franchise QB calibre players.

As it is, we have less games started on average at our QB postiion than our OL...and we have a rooie RG who hasn't started a single game in his career, if that tells you anything.

Is anyone else tired of non-competition at the QB spot? If AJ does well, the FO is automatically geniuses, who picked the gem. If he flops, we're out a miniscule salary, and a 2nd round pick, and Jay is once again "the best man for hte job". While Jay is around for some damn reason, our FO refuses to bring in legitimate competitors for QB. GIve Jay the boot, trade up for Rivers or Eli, and get on with life. We NEED a QB. Ricky won't last for ever at the current rate, we need a passing game to take some of the weight off his back.

i agree we should try to get rivers, but being so high in the draft, it aint gunna happen, so how would we go about doing that, and i dont think Eli is a choice, hes too good.

we have a 1st, a hold out DE that's worht a 1st and a 3rd, and a backup vet QB. We can move up, but we won't. I'm all for packaing this years first, next years first, O-gun,a nd Jay if it means we move up to snag the likes of Eli or Ben. It can happen, but this FO wont' do it. Heaven forbid we bring in a true potential future QB, rather than shooting for an "adequate" answer to our current problems.I'd trade next years draft for the thrill of jumping up to get Eli or Ben in a heart beat, not to mention, it would be the best hting we would do right now, outside of taking Gallery.

so if its possible, y not do it? we could really use Eli

why don't we give feeley a chance before we say he's a bust. he might be a bust, but he could also be a future hof. i don't want a rookie to throw 30 ints and keep us out of the playoff race, i'd much rather see what feeley brings to the table.

phins4life said:
i agree we should try to get rivers, but being so high in the draft, it aint gunna happen, so how would we go about doing that, and i dont think Eli is a choice, hes too good.

And if the Dolphins do draft Rivers or any of the top rated qb's #1 and he turns out to be a R Leaf or another 1st rnd qb bust,,, I can just imagine the multitudes of B-S threads being submitted complaining the the F-O screwed up !!!!

The Dolphins should make every attempt to aquire help at the offensive line position first ! If there isn't any o-lineman worthy of a pick at #20 then go for a wr or just trade down for extra picks ....

:shakeno:

:rolleyes2

Marino1983

Phishstix said:
why don't we give feeley a chance before we say he's a bust. he might be a bust, but he could also be a future hof. i don't want a rookie to throw 30 ints and keep us out of the playoff race, i'd much rather see what feeley brings to the table.
AJ is more likely to throw 30 interceptions and keep us out of the playoffs than a rookie would. A rookie is an unknown, AJ is a third QB who had a bad college career and has shown no signs of being as good as Jay. As it is right now Jay is our QB, why not bring in someone who has a chance to be better than average.

NCFINFAN38 said:
AJ is more likely to throw 30 interceptions and keep us out of the playoffs than a rookie would. A rookie is an unknown, AJ is a third QB who had a bad college career and has shown no signs of being as good as Jay. As it is right now Jay is our QB, why not bring in someone who has a chance to be better than average.

Are you some sort of "miss CLEO" ??

You must be,, to be able to predict that Feeley will throw 30 interceptions !! :laugh:

"AJ is a third QB who had a bad college career and has shown no signs of being as good as Jay." He did ???? Seems to me AJ was injured at Oregon and that paved the way for J Harrington.. So I guess that Harrington really sucks because he was AJ's backup .... :confused:

I guess that I just do not understand how some Dolphin fans can castigate an acquired player when the reality of even the mini camps has not transpired YET ..

:rolleyes2

Marino1983

Back
Top Bottom