Arm strength is NOT how far you can throw it | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Arm strength is NOT how far you can throw it

Well considering Tua was late on the throw, I would say velocity has nothing to do with this. Sure if he had a laser he would maybe zip it in there even tho it was late but then again many qbs with lasers have trouble scaling back on softer passes and accuracy issues.

Also this was preseason week 1, about 1.5 year removed from career threatening injury. How strong do you think Tua can become? Because if the 1 knock on the now 24 year old kid is strength then I would put money on him becoming stronger in the up coming years.

My question is, how good of a qb would Tua be if he were to become very strong? because in my eyes if Tua becomes strong, the skies the limit.
Elway had an issue with this, if I remember correctly. But that is usually corrected in a year or two

Someone gets it!

PS, they do measure velocity at the combine.

Josh Allen - 62 mph
Baker Mayfield - 59 mph
Pat Mahomes - 55 mph
Jalen Hurts - 54 mph
Lamar Jackson - 49 mph
Deshaun Watson - 45 mph
Tua - Decided not to test (I'll let you hypothesize as to why)
Because he had a broken hip, and it's hard to throw on crutches?

Someone gets it!

Josh Allen - 62 mph
Baker Mayfield - 59 mph
Pat Mahomes - 55 mph
Jalen Hurts - 54 mph
Lamar Jackson - 49 mph
Deshaun Watson - 45 mph
Tua - Decided not to throw (I'll let you guess as to why)
OK, those numbers are interesting.

Obviously Allen has an amazing arm. No doubt on that. And his athletic package is prodigious. Now that his accuracy and scatter-brained play have settled down he's a force. Borderline monster. Tua can still be successful within his limitations -- and as I've also always said his game is predicated by being surrounded by elite talent. He's not the type of player that can carry a team. He just ain't. But there are very few of those talents... If he plays really smart and efficient and isn't asked to do things that are on the outside of his performance window he can get good results. That's what I'm hoping for at least.

Oh I read enough. I read another Fins fan creating another post about how shi**y our quarterback is and Mr noodle arm is not the guy and if he had more velocity we would be better.

Why do you waste your time trying to prove to us that Tua is not good and we have the wrong guy?

I'm going to leave now and let all of you I hate my quarterback guys have a circle jerk together.
Except he's a jills fan

Tua is going to have to make up for lack of velocity with his quick feet, eye manipulation, and quick release. It can definitely be overcome if he masters other nuisances of playing QB. The quick release goes a long way to overcome it which he has in spades. He needs to take the next step and master the play book and to make adjustments on how defenses are playing him.

Just checked. He, like Tua, also decided not to test it.

Seems like the weaker armed QB's dont want those numbers recorded and published.

False, it was bascially most of the consensus top QB's from almost every draft class decided not to. even the likes of Matt Stafford did not participate.

Thanks for posting this. Just for record keeping, do you have a source/link?

Honestly, the whole article is a really good read.

I worked up the time to reach target based upon the data points in this article

Last edited:
Yes velocity matters in the amount of time to reach the target.

I know the max velocity chart has been posted multiple times on this forum, but last season I worked up some data points on time to reach target based upon the max velocity but also factored in release time.

View attachment 103887
Watson is an amazing QB and Tua's velocity mirrors his almost identically. Works for me.

Someone gets it!

Tua - Decided not to test (I'll let you hypothesize as to why)
Maybe it could have had something to do with the fact that at the time of the combine Tua was still trying to figure out how to freaking walk again, much less how to throw a damn football.

You clearly didn't read.

I specifically said I wish the example video did NOT show Allen. I wish it showed Rodgers or something. Unfortunately it was the best example of velocity comparison I could find and of course the video creator had to use Allen which just makes me look like a homer. But NO, I was not trying to bring up Allen at all. It was just the best comparison video there is of velocity. Forget that its Allen in it. Pretend its someone else.

I said this in the post...

The point (which clearly went over your head) is arm strength is not about how FAR you can throw it. It is about VELOCITY.

Thats why teams stack the middle of the field against Tua and force him to throw to the boundary. They dont think he has the velocity to make those boundary throws.
I'm dumbfounded that you think Rodgers is supposed to be an example of normal QB arm talent or something?

Back
Top Bottom