Article on Matt Barkley | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article on Matt Barkley

Matt Barkley's intangibles and instincts for the quarterback position are magnificent for such a young pup... and he showed it right off the bat as a true freshman going on the road into the 'shoe' against a top 5 Ohio St. team and leading the comeback victory.

Barkley was playing dead even with Andrew Luck (actually outplaying him ever so slightly) through about the first 10 weeks of the season until he suffered that severe sprained ankle against Oregon St.

Mechanically, fundamentally, physically, and emotionally... literally everything you want in terms of franchise caliber quarterback makeup is there in Matt Barkley.

I think he's a lock to be a fantastic pro when he's ready to make that jump.

If we can't get Luck, I would be very happy with Matt Barkley.

I would say Luck is #1 and Barkley is #1a. I think 2012 will be a good year to draft a QB with many available and fewer than usual teams in dire need of one. Luck has the size that Barkley lacks and I can see some scouts downgrading Barkley because of size ... I just pray that Ireland isn't one of them, since he is a size-mold type in general.

But when it all shakes out, I see two truly elite caliber QB's in Luck and Barkley, but a sizable drop off to the other highly talented signal callers. I cam assure you that the NFL scouts will be getting frequent visitor discounts to the motels in California and Oklahoma this year. Some foolish GM's will wait on some of the other good QB's in this class, but I think we need to find a way to trade into one of the top two picks to assure we get Luck or Barkley. Both are destined to become franchise QB's IMHO, and both are exactly the type of character individuals everyone wants as the face of their franchise.

I can see Barkley dropping as far as #9 in next years draft, but I expect him to go #2 overall after Luck. Ireland, start collecting the chess pieces now, and don't forget to call Bellichik, because a top two overall will not come cheaply. I'd be thrilled if we could pull it off for what Atlanta traded to jump way up this year, but I suspect a bidding war will happen and the price will be much steeper.

I've seen enough of Andrew Luck to be sold on him.

I've seen nearly enough of Matt Barkley and Brandon Weeden to be sold on them.

I've not seen enough on Ryan Lindley, Landry Jones or Ryan Tannehill to be sold, but I'm optimistic.

I don't think I'll ever see enough of Nick Foles, Terrelle Pryor or Kirk Cousins to really be "sold" on them.

Chris Relf and Robert Griffin will be fun to watch, but I'm probably not drafting either.

I could imagine Kellen Moore becoming my Mike Kafka/T.J. Yates...the guy I know I shouldn't like but I can't help myself.

I'm a big USC fan so I've seen Barkley play plenty of times. He made huge strides last year when Robert Woods started to emerge. Besides him USC didn't have many other options/playmakers. I'm really excited to see how much he grows this year since USC's added George Farmer and Kyle Prater. Plus our TE's should finally emerge this year as well. Most SC fans think Barkley can make bad decisions at wrong times but I chalk that up to playing as a freshman/sophomore with not enough around him.

He reminds me of Matt Ryan in a way when Ryan came out. Lots of questions about the INT's but gotta love the intangibles/smarts.

Just assume Luck will be gone...I pray to god that Miami will do whatever it takes to make Barkley the guy.

i know one thing...barkleys teammate robert woods is fantastic...that kid looks like a lock top 15 pick in the 2013 draft...he's killing cats

Robert Woods as a true freshman would have been a first round pick.

i agree...he's a much better pro prospect than many peoples hero ryan broyles...i think he's more like a top 10 pick in 2013...that kids rediculous

watched him take apart my syracuse team last night. doesn't have the all weapons of past USC teams but plays really smart with the ball. syracuse ain't great but i came away very impressed with barkley.

Back
Top Bottom