Asiata | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Asiata

It was pretty laughable and yet sad at the same time that Misi was even still counted on this year. The guy should have been cut two seasons ago because his body can't take the grind anymore and he wasn't worth the contract. He flat out should have retired last year but didn't. Sheer lunacy.

I think Misi was the beneficiary of just how bad our LB corps had gotten. Since he was a legitimate NFL caliber Sam, good tackler, and team player, I think our tremendous lack of talent at the position gave him the benefit of the doubt for a few years beyond what his health deserved. But, I think that grace period is over. I'm expecting to add another draft pick to the LB corps next year and move on from Misi.

I wish him the best, and am somewhat relieved he isn't playing, because injuries like his truly scare me. I hope he's thinking about the rest of his life as opposed to trying to hang on to his NFL career and risk neck/spine issues.

Asiata didn't look overwhelmed at all while anchoring. As evidenced by his head being turned on that one double team play where he peeled off just in time to get a piece. He was looking for what seemed like forever. He just needs to get adjusted to NFL speed, imo.

Asiata didn't look overwhelmed at all while anchoring. As evidenced by his head being turned on that one double team play where he peeled off just in time to get a piece. He was looking for what seemed like forever. He just needs to get adjusted to NFL speed, imo.

I agree. I thought he looked dominating in the run game and stout in pass pro. It's clearly 3rd team type opponents at best, but still, he performed well.

It was pretty laughable and yet sad at the same time that Misi was even still counted on this year. The guy should have been cut two seasons ago because his body can't take the grind anymore and he wasn't worth the contract. He flat out should have retired last year but didn't. Sheer lunacy.

Tannenbaum is holding back this team; just like Philbin did. He needs to be replaced ASAP. Ross has really made some bad decisions by hiring those two idiots.

I would be interested in knowing how far into future drafts the front office looks to determine a path for position selection in a current draft. For example, do they wait for a high draft pick for a safety if they feel they can do better at that position in the following draft? If they do, how far into the future do they look? Players are typically in school for 4 years, most don't play much their freshman year and many try out for the NFL after their junior year. Would lower current draft pick selections be used as a secondary choice for a delayed high draft position and if so, would those selections be indicators of what positions we would emphasize as higher draft picks in the following draft? It seems they would need a fairly comprehensive position draft priority chart to make it work,

I think they might actually start building out the LB corps. Consider, they completely revamped the DB's already. They brought in Byron Maxwell as a veteran to help the young guys, built up a raw kid in Lippett, developed a young guy in McCain, drafted a high pick in Xavien Howard (2nd Round and we traded up to get him), and this year we added another sort of high pick in Cordrea Tankersley (who did pretty well in the first preseason game actually). That's a lot of resources on new players and young players. I think the Alteraun Verner addition was just taking an opportunity when it presented itself, but all of the other moves look like they are tilling a garden to grow good young CB's. Then, they surrounded them with the voice of reason in veteran safeties to keep everything together while these young CB's learn their roles.

This year they took the one building block at LB, Kiko Alonso, added a veteran tutor in Timmons, and selected the one rookie to groom under Timmons in McMillan. Misi felt like a combo of loyalty + Ross's desire to help his own + backup incase of injury. Well, he got injured early, per usual, so that didn't really work out. Remember, this is a major departure from the previous two iterations of our LB rebuilds: A) Ireland's plan to get rid of the expensive and productive veterans and replace them with veteran free agents at a cheaper price (worked out horribly), and B) draft nobody and collect all of the quality UDFA's like Vigil, Hewitt and Hull and go cheap on the position (which also worked out horribly).

So, I'm guessing they're following the same rebuild approach they did with the CB's by providing a veteran leader and then adding their own draft picks to groom under those veteran leaders. Just like with the veteran safeties, they always have someone who can organize and direct them while they grow through that early learning curve. I'm expecting McMillan to be the full Mike when he returns next year, and I'm expecting us to draft 1 more LB to work in as a combo Sam and coverage LB or maybe a Sam and pass rushing LB. We're not going to see that development this year because of Raekwon's unfortunate injury, but I think next year he'll be ready to call the defense like a true Mike, and will become the heart and soul of this developing LB corps.

Another position that seems to be handled the same way is the OL, although I think we have further to go with that transformation. Not sure whether we'll re-sign Ju'Wuan James, but if we do it will likely be for a smaller amount than a guy drafted as high as him typically gets. Bushrod will also be replaced next year. So, we might be looking at 2 new starting OL next year to go along with Tunsil, Asiata and Pouncey ... assuming he heals.

Personally, I like this approach. It creates a lot of opportunities to select just the right veterans to teach and then groom completely new players exactly how the coaching staff wants them. It also should help develop a team that ages the right way and is full of veterans through Tannehill's prime.

The reason I didn't mention the DL, is because I think it's done slightly differently. The positions are more specific. It's more of a one-for-one mentorship for specific roles. Wake mentors Harris. Suh leads by example, but he's not the greatest mentor. He is mentoring Phillips. Hayes is the closest thing to a true DL mentor we have ... and that guy's ... different. But, I think Vincent and Godchaux are somewhat lacking for mentors. I'm hoping they're getting good advice from Hayes and Suh, but I'm not sure how effective that is.

Anyway, I do think the LB mentor-growth process has begun, and will continue next year with another fairly high draft pick.

Good observations, Digital. I do want to see how the corners develop this year. That's one position where you add talent if it drops in your lap. Adding a young, talented safety would be wise as well IMO. I certainly can't argue with the front office's approach there.

The linebacker rebuild does appear to have started and I have high hopes for McMillan. It's not a wasted year for him in that he knows the terminology. So he's a step ahead of rookies coming in next year.

I would be interested in knowing how far into future drafts the front office looks to determine a path for position selection in a current draft. For example, do they wait for a high draft pick for a safety if they feel they can do better at that position in the following draft? If they do, how far into the future do they look? Players are typically in school for 4 years, most don't play much their freshman year and many try out for the NFL after their junior year. Would lower current draft pick selections be used as a secondary choice for a delayed high draft position and if so, would those selections be indicators of what positions we would emphasize as higher draft picks in the following draft? It seems they would need a fairly comprehensive position draft priority chart to make it work,

That's a good question. I also think it's somewhat unpredictable as you don't know what a lot of underclassman will do. Also, players seem to come out of nowhere every year or unexpected players emerge.

I do think the team looks at the strength of the draft to somewhat determine it's direction. I think the recent front office has done a better job determining what players fit their system, which is probably a big reason player development seems to be taking off in Miami.

Tannenbaum is holding back this team; just like Philbin did. He needs to be replaced ASAP. Ross has really made some bad decisions by hiring those two idiots.

I disagree there. First, it's hard to know exactly how involved Tannebaum is in the draft and player personnel. If he is highly involved in both areas then you have to give him some credit. It looks like the team has turned the corner in the last few drafts and in the way the front office approaches free agency.

The Misi move was questionable. I will give you that.

About a week ago, as I was listening to WQAM, Omar was on talking Dolphins Football. He was on with Crowder, basically called Asiata, a bad player, who's done nothing to stand out in training camp. Coupled with Omar's comments, were non inspiring reports of Asiata not distinguishing himself during camp. I started to sour on him to the point, I began to worry about him having any kind of future as a starter. Then came game day, OMG, was I surprised at how nimble he was. I was so happy a separate thread was made about Asiata, because he deserved it. He showed in his time, albeit against 3rd and 4th stringers he can play. The things that stood out are many of the things posted in here. His head is always on a swivel, he looks to be completely aware in his protection assignments, he loves to mix it up and take his man into the second level. And he seems to be instinctive. I truly think it's more about his conditioning and getting use to the South Florida heat, that is holding him back at the moment. I believe he'll eventually turn out to be the steal of the 2017 draft. It's just a matter of time, experience and conditioning before he makes his presence felt league wise.

Last edited:
Good observations, Digital. I do want to see how the corners develop this year. That's one position where you add talent if it drops in your lap. Adding a young, talented safety would be wise as well IMO. I certainly can't argue with the front office's approach there.

The linebacker rebuild does appear to have started and I have high hopes for McMillan. It's not a wasted year for him in that he knows the terminology. So he's a step ahead of rookies coming in next year.
I love the strategy behind the rebuild. If Asiata, Smith and Brendel can solidify the offensive line this year. As staters and/or backup, it will give Miami the freedom to continue the rebuild on the defensive side of th ball. If Miami can somehow reach a team friendly deal with James and Larson proves to be a valuable starter/reserve. The line should be set in 2018. The defense still needs help at LB, Safety, and DE. Perhaps another CB to replace Maxwell.

I would think that future years bear very little just because every single last element in the process is so unpredictable. I think it would mostly come into play when deciding whether to stockpile picks for a future draft if one feels like the depth of a given draft isn't very deep and that they might be willing to trade away a current pick for ones next year.

Another reason why future years might not make much difference is the understanding that GMs and other FO people come and go rather rapidly. One bad offseason could be enough to fire the current guy, especially if the coach is new or highly respected. Gase is both of those things, so I think Grier/Baum are the first fall guys in this dynamic

Asiata was a fantastic pick for the round we got him in. Right now is an adjustment period. I want to see him against another teams first stringers to see what kind of progression he's made. I hope he gets the start this week with Tunsil at LT.

Back
Top Bottom