Ask Brett Tessler | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

Hey Brett, Did you have any players released today and if so what do you tell them and what is usually your next step after they have been waived? Sorry if this is a repeat, but i haven't read the thread in a while and going through the last 7 pages to catch aint going to happen.

Cheers

texasPHINSfan said:
Brett, you ever had a player contact you out of college that wanted you to be his agent... problem was, he sucked!? I mean, you KNOW he won't be picked up by any team, and said player has this false idea in his mind that he is the greatest player ever. (i know they're out there - i've played with them).

What do you do in that situation? pick them up and never get them signed? or turn them away?
It happens all the time. I nicely let them know that I wouldn't be interested in taking them on, and I always try to help point them in the right direction.

MDolphins2003 said:
Hey Brett,

Who would you trade for as far as RB's go? (Without trading the Farm...lol)

or

Would you just rough out the season grabbing some players that get cut. Then hit the FA with a mission to land another stud back.
Teams don't just part with talented running backs. The Dolphins will have to scrape by this year and readdress the situation in 2005.

If RW files for bankruptcy is there any chance (at all) that his contract with Miami can be voided, making him a FA free to sign with anyone?

Reason I ask is back in the early '90s Reggie Roby was either thinking about filing or did file and I recall it being a concern for Miami that it could end up with him having his contract voided and them being left without their stud punter.

Thanks

MarinoIsGod said:
Brett,

I am currently a 2L. In the few chats I have had with sports agents they have all seemed to have fallen into that job. I am interested in Sports Law and was wondering if you could give me any tips as to how I should go about attempting to become an agent.

Thanks
I don't believe that anybody just "falls into" this profession. Opportunity may come your way, but you still need to be ready to take advantage of it. Sometimes, even the best laid plans don't always work. If becoming rich and famous were as easy as just following a set of plans everybody would do it. There's no sure-fire way to become an agent, so finish up strong in school and be prepared to think outside the box.

Brett:

During contract negotiations, have you ever had a player want to get more money than you felt he deserved? As an agent, where do you draw the line between reality and fantasy? Since you represent the player, I would feel you have to do what the player wants and now what your head tells you.....
I.E. You have a defensive end who wants to get paid like the top tier defensive ends in the league, like KGB or Kearse, when he isnt even the best defensive end on the team.....

Thats funny !! Sorry Brett, but with all the Drew stuff, you must admit that was a good one. LOL Just joking though friend !! ...... Now to get serious, the Ogun trade now has gave us Booker, and this new RB from the Rams (done forgot his name ! LOL), Anyway, it seems like the Ogun deal in essence has gotten sweeter, and if this RB turns out to be pretty good, then I think we came out like Roses. Speilman is looking better all the time with his moves. Your thoughts ? Thanks, dan

MNFINFAN said:
Hey Brett, Did you have any players released today and if so what do you tell them and what is usually your next step after they have been waived? Sorry if this is a repeat, but i haven't read the thread in a while and going through the last 7 pages to catch aint going to happen.

Cheers
I just had a handful of players get released as teams cut down to their final 53-man rosters. Whenever my guys are let go I always take an honest approach with them about their futures. Some will get picked up by other teams (and already have), and others will not. Right now I've been busy contacting teams to find out who they might be interested in.

Dphins4me said:
If RW files for bankruptcy is there any chance (at all) that his contract with Miami can be voided, making him a FA free to sign with anyone?

Thanks
Bankruptcy has nothing to do with who holds his rights if and when he returns.

Philter25 said:
Brett:

During contract negotiations, have you ever had a player want to get more money than you felt he deserved? As an agent, where do you draw the line between reality and fantasy? Since you represent the player, I would feel you have to do what the player wants and not what your head tells you.....
I.E. You have a defensive end who wants to get paid like the top tier defensive ends in the league, like KGB or Kearse, when he isnt even the best defensive end on the team.....
My players understand that I'll always get them the most money possible. If their expectations are unrealistic I'll let them know.

dolphindan1970 said:
...... Now to get serious, the Ogun trade now has gave us Booker, and this new RB from the Rams (done forgot his name ! LOL), Anyway, it seems like the Ogun deal in essence has gotten sweeter, and if this RB turns out to be pretty good, then I think we came out like Roses. Speilman is looking better all the time with his moves. Your thoughts ? Thanks, dan
You are correct. Lamar Gordon's performance will be the determining factor on how the Dolphins did with the Ogunleye trade. If he plays well, then the Dolphins come out of this looking like geniuses. They definitely needed a starting running back this year more than they needed a 3rd round pick next year.

Free Agent Question

Brett:

I was hoping you could answer a question. Was Fiedler a free agent this past off season? When Miami originally told him he was free to seek another team did they mean in terms of a trade or was he free to sign with another team because they voided his contract? My reason for asking is I recall them saying he was free to seek another team and than I don't recall him even visiting any other teams. Thanks for any help you could provide!!!

Brett Tessler said:
I just had a handful of players get released as teams cut down to their final 53-man rosters. Whenever my guys are let go I always take an honest approach with them about their futures. Some will get picked up by other teams (and already have), and others will not. Right now I've been busy contacting teams to find out who they might be interested in.
Thanks dude, it sounds like a busy time of year for you. Appreciate all your posts and inside peak into the agents mind.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom