Aspiring Scout Chris Cordero's Mock Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Aspiring Scout Chris Cordero's Mock Draft

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
The main course:
Aspiring scout Chris Cordero has been studying the Dolphins and the draft because, well, he's strange that way. He's put together a mock of Miami's picks. It is not a mock of one round, but rather the picks he thinks Miami might make throughout the draft.
Crazy.
Take it away man with too much time on your hands:
I am not taking into account any possible trades, as I believe any players not named Chad Henne, Brandon Marshall, Jake Long, Karlos Dansby, and Vontae Davis could be traded. This team could trade down/up in any round and other teams could do the same. So here goes - my best guess at the Dolphins 9 picks in the 2010 Draft with small captions. The picks are based on the grades that I gave the players and what I think the teams picking before and after the Dolphins will do.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2010/04/some-appetizers-before-we-get-to-the-main-course--you-guys-seem-to-be-fascinated-by-the-topic-what-jersey-number-brandon-mar.html#ixzz0lEfrJ5kC

I'd like to see Miami trade down also, but if we don't and take Earl Thomas is anyone gonna be upset???

First round: No. 12 - Earl Thomas - FS - Texas: I believe Derrick Morgan will be drafted by the Jaguars. I also believe nose tackle Dan Williams does not present good value at this pick. Thomas is one of the best players in this draft, with the skills of a cornerback and the best ball skills of any defensive back in this draft. I worry some about his size and durability - and his tackling skills are not the greatest. But besides that - he is above average in every aspect for a DB. With the league now shifting towards the pass (and the Dolphins picking up Brandon Marshall) having Thomas to go along with Vontae Davis, Sean Smith, and Pro Bowler Yeremiah Bell, not to mention the return to health of Will Allen - the Dolphins will be in great position to combat Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, and Lee Evans in the division.
OTHER OPTIONS: Derrick Morgan, Dan Williams, Sergio Kindle, Jason Pierre-Paul.
Third Round: No. 73 - Ricky Sapp - OLB - Clemson: The team could go for a NT here, as some of the good ones like Cam Thomas, Torrell Troup, or maybe even Linval Joseph could be available. But instead go for the 6-4, 252lb OLB who fits all the size requirements, and has great speed and athleticism off the edge. Sapp, who suffered a torn ACL in early 2008, had a moderately successful season last year and has some experience playing as a LB at Clemson. With a 1.60 10 yard split on his 40 - he has great short area burst and quickness. One year removed from the injury, he should be that much better. I feel if he is available here, he is a steal and would be an immediate starter for the team.
OTHER OPTIONS: Cam Thomas, Torrell Troup, Thaddeus Gibson, Jason Worilds, Koa Misi.
Fourth Round: No. 110 - Daniel Te'o-Nesheim - OLB - Washington: -I was torn between Te'o-Nesheim and Lindsey Witten, another potential OLB from UConn. I ultimately went with Te'o-Nesheim due to his motor and attention to technique. During his workouts, he showed that he was a better athlete than I had given him credit for. With 30 sacks for his career, he has the production to back up the work he did at the Combine and at his Pro Day. At 6-4, 263, he also has the requisite size and showed off a 1.61 10 yard split and 37 inch vertical leap. There would be good competition between him, Sapp, Wake, and Charlie Anderson and Jason Taylor if he is brought back. (Salguero comment here: You kidding? Taylor would school them all!)
OTHER OPTIONS: Lindsey Witten, Donald Butler, Cameron Sheffield, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, Anthony McCoy.
Round Six (Salguero getting bored, but whatever): No. 173 Kade Weston - NT - Georgia: This is about the time where the regime starts finding the nose tackles. Weston was a big time combine snub in my eyes and is a huge human being who can occupy blockers with the best of them. In a defensive line that featured Geno Atkins and Jeff Owens - he did not get enough credit for his accomplishments, At 6-5, 325 - there is no doubt in my mind he can help hold down the fort with Paul Soliai until Jason Ferguson returns and then learns from his fellow former Bulldog.
OTHER OPTIONS: Fendi Onobun, Colin Peek, Marshall Newhouse, Dekoda Watson, Robert Johnson.
Round Six: No. 174 Marshall Newhouse - OG - TCU: One of the more athletic interior offensive lineman - running a 4.99 40 yard dash at 6-4, 319lbs. He was among the more impressive OL I saw at the Combine and was also a standout at the East-West Shrine game. As a former left lackle, he has good feet and also extends his arms with strong hands to get movement in the running game. Could be a steal at this point in the draft.
OTHER OPTIONS: Fendi Onobun, Colin Peek, Dekoda Watson, Robert Johnson, AJ Edds.
Round Six Still: No. 179 A.J. Edds - ILB - Iowa: Another play who if available at this point would be an excellent pickup. He is a 3-down player who excels in coverage and was very impressive to me during Senior Bowl week. At 6-4, 246lbs, he has good size and shows off excellent athleticism with a 4.62 40-yard dash. I worry about his take-on ability versus the run - but he would be excellent as a nickel backer and a great value at this point.
OTHER OPTIONS: Fendi Onobun, Colin Peek, Dekoda Watson, Robert Johnson, Micah Johnson.
Round Seven: No. 212 Jay Ross - NT - East Carolina: Playing next to Linval Joseph, maybe he did not get enough credit but is a very good player in his own right. At 6-3, 313 with a 4.99 40 yard dash he fits the shorter squat mold that the regime appears to prefer (although I think Weston was too big and talented to pass up in the 6th) and is able to generate pressure while maintaining his gap responsibilities. He was even athletic enough to come up with an interception his senior year.
OTHER OPTIONS: Aleric Mullins, Chris McCoy, Danny Batten, Brody Eldridge, Antonio Coleman.
Round Seven: No. 219 Brody Eldridge - TE - Oklahoma: The former offensive tackle, who showed surprising mid 4.7 speed at this Pro Day is regarded as either the best or 2nd best blocking tight end in the draft. While the preference would be an athletic, stretch-the-field TE, the best ones are off the board at this point. He has soft hands though, but did not get many opportunities to catch the ball with all the talent at Oklahoma.
OTHER OPTIONS: Aleric Mullins, Chris McCoy, Danny Batten, Antonio Coleman, Aaron Morgan.
Round Seven: No. 252 Joey Elliott - QB - Purdue: I know, the team has 4 QBs on the roster, but the Dolphins have showed this guy a lot of love (how much of it was due to his working out during the offseason with Dez Bryant, I don't know) and I expect at least one, if not 2, QBs to be traded during the draft. He had a very good senior season and was a big part in the Boilermakers win over Ohio State. Besides elite arm strength, he appears to have all the tools to be a successful backup in the league and was very acccurate in his one season as a starter. Expect this guy in camp - be it if the team drafts him or signs him as an UDFA (unless another team picks him up before the Dolphins).
OTHER OPTIONS: Danny Batten, Antonio Coleman, Chris McCoy, Aaron Morgan, Aleric Mullins.
If you are wondering why the players in the 7th and 6th rounds did not change in the "Other Options" category - it is because those are the players and the positions that would be the best fits for the team.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2010/04/some-appetizers-before-we-get-to-the-main-course--you-guys-seem-to-be-fascinated-by-the-topic-what-jersey-number-brandon-mar.html#ixzz0lGkCGFQj

No flippin way A.J. Edds drops to the 6th round, if he does I'll run the freakin card up to the podium myself. They won't even have time to say "the Miami Dolphins are on the clock".

NFL Draft Scout currently ranks Edds as the 220th overall player. The 21st OLB. :( I agree with you. Heck, if he is still on the board at our 4th rounder, we should be all over him at that point. I cannot believe he lasts till the 6th, but I guess stranger things have happened in the past drafts.

I never thought I would say this, but I think the most obvious pick at 12 is a trade down. That is a stretch for me to say simply because our regime tries to do this every year and it will be especially difficult in such a deep draft as this one...but I could see our team giving a little value to the other team to get more picks.

Back
Top Bottom