Atlanta-Houston trade blessing in disguise for Fins? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Atlanta-Houston trade blessing in disguise for Fins?

C

chada456

With Matt Shaub being sent to Houston, this obviously means there is one less team in front of Miami for the for the Brady Quinn sweepstakes. However, if Quinn is taken with one of the top 8 picks (IMO, only Detroit or Cleveland would draft him), a top 5 pick like Adrian Peterson, Alan Branch, or Gaines Adams would slip to the Fins. Out of these 3 players, the only player I see the Fins drafting is Alan Branch. If Branch is gone (maybe to the Redskins?) than Fins would have Peterson or Adams with their pick to TRADE DOWN. Packers would love to get AP and I could see them trading with the Fins as they see the Texans, among other teams picking before the Pack, as a threat to possibly take AP with the 10th pick. So either the Fins get really lucky and Quinn falls to them, or Quinn gets picked up by Detroit or Cleveland, but then a top 5 guy like Adrian Peterson would fall (no team after the Browns desperately need a RB) to the Fins with the opportunity to gain more picks.
3 scenarios I see...
1. Oakland 1) Jamarcus Russel 2) Jamarcus Russel 3) Jamarcus Russel
I dont think Moss is getting traded. Al Davis has a win-now mindset and with that, he goes with the big gunner in Russel.
2. Detroit 1) Joe Thomas 2) Brady Quinn 3) Joe Thomas
They met with Thomas for dinner, that plus Martz turns late rounders and undrafted QBs into superstars so I think they go Qb late in the draft. They may trade down or surprise everyone and go with Calvin Johnson or go with a DE.
3. Cleveland 1) Adrian Peterson 2) Joe Thomas 3) Brady Quinn
Quinns the local boy, plus the Crennel-Weiss connection could be bad for the Fin fans wanting Quinn. Most however, see Browns going with Peterson in the draft.
4. Tampa Bay 1) Calvin Johnson 2) Calvin Johnson 3) Calvin Johnson
They have 4 Qbs on the roster. So its Johnson IMO. If hes off the board, they may go with Thomas, if hes off the board, they go with one of the top 2 D-ends.
5. Arizona 1) Gaines Adams 2) Jamaal Anderson 3) Gaines Adams
They need Olinemen, none worth taking here. They have many needs on defense. They get the best defensive player available.
6. Washington 1) Gaines Adams 2) Alan Branch 3) Alan Branch
I would've said Patrick Willis here with his recent sub 4.40/40 but with the pickup of Fletcher, they may go with help on the Dline.
7. Minnesota 1) Laron Landry 2) Gaines Adams 3) Adrian Peterson
IMO, the Vikings are a mystery as to who they select in this years draft. I have faith that Childress will not select a Qb this early in the draft after reaching on T. Jackson with a 2nd round pick last year. They could use a pass rusher but I believe they desperately need help in the secondary. They could go with the reach and draft Ted Ginn.
8. Atlanta 1) Jamaal Anderson 2) Laron Landry 3) Jamaal Anderson
2 positions come to mind when I think of the Falcons and their draft pick, Safety position and Defensive End. If Landry falls to them, Falcons could not be happier, but if he is off the board I see them taking Jamaal Anderson to fill in for Patrick Kerney's departure. Maybe a trade down?
9. Miami 1) Brady Quinn 2)Adrian Peterson falls to them and they trade down (Packers trade partner??) 3) Levi Brown
Dolphins want Brady Quinn. They could not be happier if somehow the guy lands with them. If he's off the board, I see the Fins looking to trade down and grab a later 1st round pick and additional 2nd round pick. Imagine they trade down, and with their later 1st round pick, they draft Levi Brown or Joe Staley in the 1st, and Khalil early in the 2nd. Not exciting picks but very wise selections. They'd match what the Jets did last year to help with their recent success. With a solidified Oline, Trent Green would somewhat feel like he was back in KC but with a much better defense. (The Trent Green is going to happen sooner or later, if not now, than later when he gets cut.)

Adam Schefter on NFL network was talking how this is bad for Miami because Atlanta has Similar needs on OL and Secondary. I think he is correct but, I have always wanted a scenerio that lets us trade down a couple picks for a bonus pick or two. After that we could slide down again and pick up even more picks. There are several guys I like alot that are late first rounders. I would like to slide down up to 3 different times when there are guys sitting in spots where the team right behind us will take him and another team wants to trade us and get him first. We could acquire up to 3 more 2nd rounders and maybe a few more later round picks. By doing this we could stock up on depth on defense and have guys ready to step in a year or two from now and keep our D top notch. Here are some guys I like in late first- 2nd round.

The pitt corner Reavis (and Butthead), the florida safety, both the penn st and Pitt LB look solid to me. Depth at LB would be real nice. The kid from Utah that is a pure football player is probably smart enough to step in and start for us at safety. Also, that receiver from South Carolina would be a steal in the 2nd round.

I think this trade increases the Fins chances of trading down. Before the trade, it looked like an increasing chance of us getting Laron Landry. Levi Brown, could be a safe pick, but Fins have already stated they dont want him. Now that Atlanta is picking ahead of us, more than likely they're gonna be taking Landry, which leaves the Fins basically reaching on any player that decide to draft, except for a guy like Gaines Adams, Jamaal Anderson, Alan Branch or Adrian Peterson somehow miraculously falls to them, then a great trade down would be in the works as teams would want to grab Peterson or the other guys before the Texans could get their hands on him, Peterson specifically. As I've said earlier, I could see us drafting Branch if he somehow fell to the 9th spot, highly unlikely IMO but other than him, the 3 positions the Fins need desperately are Olinemen of course, followed by cornerbacks and wide recievers which none of those positions are good picks with the 9th spot. Best Linemen (after Thomas) is Levi Brown whos more of a mid 1st round pick, best corners are Leon Hall, Houston out of Arkansas, and Darelle Revis but the CBs seem to be a somewhat deep position so we could go there in the 2nd round. WRs is also a deep group so know need to reach on a guy like Ginn or Jarrett (I personally like Dwayne Bowe, doesnt have amazing breakaway speed, but the guy is Anquin Boldin in the making.

Despite starting only two games in three seasons and winning neither of them, Schaub is highly regarded around the NFL. The former Virginia standout, a third-round pick by Atlanta in 2004, has completed 84 of 161 passes for 1,033 yards, with six touchdown passes and six interceptions.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2807051

My question is....why is Schaub so "highly" regarded and why do the Texans want him?

Schaub completed 84 of 161 passes over 2-years which is right around 50% and with 6 TD's & 6 INT's also being a 50/50 pick to TD ratio, that is nothing to get excited about.

Plus the Texans just paid Sage Rosenfels big money last year to be the #2 guy and he played in 4 games last year and was 27 of 34 for 69% (better completion %) with 3 TD's and only 1 INT (better TD/INT ratio).

My question is....why is Schaub so "highly" regarded and why do the Texans want him?

Schaub completed 84 of 161 passes over 2-years which is right around 50% and with 6 TD's & 6 INT's also being a 50/50 pick to TD ratio, that is nothing to get excited about.

Plus the Texans just paid Sage Rosenfels big money last year to be the #2 guy and he played in 4 games last year and was 27 of 34 for 69% (better completion %) with 3 TD's and only 1 INT (better TD/INT ratio).

Because they are a poorly run organization. Carr is better than Schaub IMO. They are using Carr as a scapegoat to get the fans off their backs and generate some type of enthisiasm for the upcoming season. Change for the sake of change seems to be the operative word in Houston.

This is all bad. All it means is we don't get Landry.

We aren't getting Brady Quinn and Culpepper is never going to be anywhere near as good as some people remember him being. He was never that good and he sure isn't going to be any better than he never was.

If we can't trade down the only thing to do is force the issue and draft Petersen and put Ronnie on the trading block.

In the real world you have to fight for what you get. And you have to take risks or end up rotting in a cesspool of mediocrity.

Sometimes you just gotta get mean and force a response.

Because they are a poorly run organization. Carr is better than Schaub IMO. They are using Carr as a scapegoat to get the fans off their backs and generate some type of enthisiasm for the upcoming season. Change for the sake of change seems to be the operative word in Houston.

Damn shame, because Carr has tons of talent IMO. God, we have just wasted sooo many picks on QB's its tough to let ANOTHER pick (will be a first day pick) go to use on Carr in a trade. One thing is for sure, we would have to sure up this line and get him a running game, and I think we could do that . . . he is a smart QB . . . . and miles ahead of Joey.

Houston blew it last year by passing on Reggie Bush . . . even with Dominik Davis healthy (which obviously he wasn't), how they passed on him is just unthinkable . . . they are by far the worst run organization in the league.

After that we could slide down again and pick up even more picks. There are several guys I like alot that are late first rounders. I would like to slide down up to 3 different times when there are guys sitting in spots where the team right behind us will take him and another team wants to trade us and get him first. We could acquire up to 3 more 2nd rounders and maybe a few more later round picks.
I believe it's safe to say...this will never happen! Maybe trade down once...if we are lucky enough to find a trade partner....trade down several times?...not gonna happen.

Damn shame, because Carr has tons of talent IMO. God, we have just wasted sooo many picks on QB's its tough to let ANOTHER pick (will be a first day pick) go to use on Carr in a trade. One thing is for sure, we would have to sure up this line and get him a running game, and I think we could do that . . . he is a smart QB . . . . and miles ahead of Joey.

Houston blew it last year by passing on Reggie Bush . . . even with Dominik Davis healthy (which obviously he wasn't), how they passed on him is just unthinkable . . . they are by far the worst run organization in the league.

Houston blew it the year before last. Dom's last year as HC, Charley Cassely as GM those two passed on Alex Barron OT and went with a DT Travis Johnson.

Barron could have kept Carr upright.....

Hindsight.

I agree there, they got completely ripped off in that trade, it's all about them selling season tickets.

I see Cleveland taking Calvin Johnson over Adrian Peterson, especially with question marks over Kellen Winslow being able to play next season.

Matt Schuab is going to be a good QB, they have their franchise now. Atlanta is going to go defense obviously so if Quinn is there at #8 he will still be there at #9 but he won't fall past #3. Cleveland has no need for Adrian Peterson, he will fall maybe even out of the top 10, they have Jamal Lewis. they could go Calvin Johnson but my bet is they take Quinn

Matt Schuab is going to be a good QB, they have their franchise now. Atlanta is going to go defense obviously so if Quinn is there at #8 he will still be there at #9 but he won't fall past #3. Cleveland has no need for Adrian Peterson, he will fall maybe even out of the top 10, they have Jamal Lewis. they could go Calvin Johnson but my bet is they take Quinn
if they ythink jamal lewis is gonna be there back for time to come then why only sign him for 1 year. they are gonna draft AP, and that lewis will help AP out and make it so AP doesnt have to have all the carries and helps his transaction to the nfl easier. they will have a one two punch with lewis and AP next year. that is what most teams are gonna do.

if they ythink jamal lewis is gonna be there back for time to come then why only sign him for 1 year. they are gonna draft AP, and that lewis will help AP out and make it so AP doesnt have to have all the carries and helps his transaction to the nfl easier. they will have a one two punch with lewis and AP next year. that is what most teams are gonna do.

Yes but why sign him at all if they are just going to go and draft somebody to eat into his game time? Cleveland know that they will get first shot at AP, so why sign Lewis if that's the direction they want to go in?

AP has some injury concerns so Lewis is an insurance policy. Lets face it, Jamaal Lewis isnt even a shadow of his former self and the Browns either know this or are just complete morons. They have spent several picks on guys like Frye and Co. and I dont see them throwing them all overboard at this point, especially with all the win now pressure they are getting. They are on the hot seat.
AP and even CJ would give them an immediate boost here, and they could also even go with Branch or Adams in this slot, very realistic as they also need some bigtime D help.

Lol at the poster who wants us to draft AP and trade Ronnie, thats just insane. And really, the likelihood of us trading down once is slim, let alone more than once.

Just stay at 9 and draft Quinn if hes there. If not go with Ginn (absolute gamebreaker) or possibly Levi though personally im not a fan.
Or even Defense with Okoye or Landry (atlanta can easily go DLine with their pick.)

Anyway, this Houston trade is a win for us at any way you look at it. And btw, they are NOT the worst run organization, that goes to Detroit. Houston is down there though no doubt.

Back
Top Bottom