Baker Mayfield: Hits height, hand size thresholds at Senior Bowl weigh-in | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Baker Mayfield: Hits height, hand size thresholds at Senior Bowl weigh-in

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Mayfield checked in at 6-foot 3/8 and 216 pounds with 9 1/2-inch hands at the Reese's Senior Bowl.

This comes as a relief as Mayfield was expected to check in under the 6-foot-1, 220 pounds at which he was listed at Oklahoma, but there were concerns about him potentially measuring in under the 6-foot threshold. Furthermore, Mayfield's hand size (9 1/2) is above the threshold teams look for at quarterback, thus mitigating concerns about his ability to hold onto the ball in cold-weather situations and making him look more like a viable option for quarterback-needy teams that play in the north.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/f...hand-size-thresholds-at-senior-bowl-weigh-in/

Glad to see Baker Mayfield just got good at controlling and throwing a football because the ruler measuring the space between his thumb nail and pinky nail says so.

Glad to see Baker Mayfield just got good at controlling and throwing a football because the ruler measuring the space between his thumb nail and pinky nail says so.

I don't think any one said that but are you saying hand size is not relavent to the qb position? Because it is lol...

After a week of practices, the quarterback battle is over and the clear winner is Baker Mayfield of Oklahoma. I’ve been skeptical of Mayfield because he is such an outlier at the position in so many ways, but his performance in Mobile went a long way toward alleviating those concerns. Mayfield was terrific in all three practices and while his style is unorthodox it’s hard to argue with the results. His throws almost always got where they needed to be, and at the end of the day that is the goal. It’s also quite obvious by his interactions with teammates that Mayfield is a respected leader of men. That is something that cannot be underestimated and definitely flies against the whole bad boy narrative.

Meanwhile it was more of the same with Josh Allen of Wyoming, who struggled with the same issues he did during his college career. There were flashes of brilliance at times, but there were also far too many head-scratching reps. For example, today Allen overthrew his target in the back middle of the end zone against air. Twice! It’s not going to get any easier than a ten yard throw with no defenders on the field, but Allen still couldn’t connect. For those who watched Allen during his college career, airmailing throws was an all-too common theme.

I had Allen ahead of Mayfield in my initial rankings before I came down to the Senior Bowl. After watching them both this week, they are going to get flip-flopped. I definitely still have reservations about Mayfield, but when push comes to shove give me the quarterback who doesn’t look the part but consistently plays well rather than the opposite.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/north-practice-report-1-25-18/

Man coming from a big time Tannehill supporter the more I look into Mayfield the more I like the guy....quite a bit actually. He reminds me so much of Brett Favre its not even funny! Not in arm talent as Favre was far superior but everything else.

Man coming from a big time Tannehill supporter the more I look into Mayfield the more I like the guy....quite a bit actually. He reminds me so much of Brett Favre its not even funny! Not in arm talent as Favre was far superior but everything else.

I’ve been a fan of his since I found out where we’ll be drafting. I think he’s a guy that can really push RT without being divisive in the locker room and I think his passion for the game is going to drive him to become better even while he’s riding the bench. I see a lot of positives out of him that I think will translate to the next level.

So agree with you. I'm in the same boat. I like Tannehill, but Mayfield does remind me of Favre. I love the energy he plays with and he looks to be accurate, moves well and makes big throws. I'm so tired of such a lethargic offense and sometimes it feels like Landry is the only one playing with any energy. To have a qb who can ignite a team makes so much sense, especially for the Dolphins.

Anyway, I think Miami would have to deal up to get Mayfield. I would do that. I think the #3 or #4 overall picks are where the trades begin.

I don't think any one said that but are you saying hand size is not relavent to the qb position? Because it is lol...

It's a pretty fine example of the misapplication of pseudo-statistical practices in order to delude yourself. It's one of those things people think sounds smart, but isn't really.

Listen, if I'm looking at a 15 year old kid playing quarterback and I'm trying to figure out if he's going to be a really good thrower when he's a 20 year old in college, then yeah I might look at things like hand size. But if I'm looking at a 21-22 year old college quarterback and trying to figure out if he's going to be good at throwing the football when he's a 22-23 year old professional? I'm mostly just going to watch him throw the god damned football.

Hand size is as hand size does. You can watch a guy play, watch him control and throw the football, and judge from that whether he has good hand size regardless of what some ruler says about the distance between a thumbnail and pinky nail. Ultimately, hand size is not an end, it is a means. And the common measurement practice to judge hand size is pretty imperfect.

Good, QB 2 after Darnold.

Back
Top Bottom