Beckham | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Beckham

I haven't read all this thread, but you need to remember two things.

The first is that the Beckham PR machine is 2nd to none. And that means everyone. From Cruise on down. Regardless of what you think of him, the PR spin is poetic.

Secondly, the true impact of Beckham ON the field will be negligible. With due respect to the MLS, he's playing with inferior players. And he's never been the sort to beat three players and then get his cross in. As a passer he's very good, but he'll need players on the same wave length.

I haven't read all this thread, but you need to remember two things.

The first is that the Beckham PR machine is 2nd to none. And that means everyone. From Cruise on down. Regardless of what you think of him, the PR spin is poetic.

Secondly, the true impact of Beckham ON the field will be negligible. With due respect to the MLS, he's playing with inferior players. And he's never been the sort to beat three players and then get his cross in. As a passer he's very good, but he'll need players on the same wave length.

Very true, but what we are arguing about is the first statement you referred to. You kept it short and sweet but you are right. It isn't even that close.

Article about Beckham being one of if not the most famous

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/world/2003-05-08-beckham_x.htm

http://mpelembe.mappibiz.com/archives_02/Famous Athlete.html

And are just the first two links I came across. I dont know if he's bigger than Ali or MJ, but he is with out question the biggest soccer star.

The quotes in the post say it all. These are the same types of quotes that you are using ckb in regards to Ali. This is the closest thing you'll get to pure evidence, but of course you're not going to get any concrete Poll evidence telling you that Beckham is more popular world-wide than anyone else.

And nyjunc, I just read that whole ESPN article. Nowhere in that article does it say anything even close to: I like coming to the US because I no one recognizes me. It actually conveys quite the opposite message. More in the direction of how people in America love him and how he could really boost the game here.

The quotes in the post say it all. These are the same types of quotes that you are using ckb in regards to Ali. This is the closest thing you'll get to pure evidence, but of course you're not going to get any concrete Poll evidence telling you that Beckham is more popular world-wide than anyone else.

Right, so let's just agree with what is not controversial, that Beckham is one of the most popular soccer players in the world. As I said, going any further - like saying THE most popular athlete - is unsubstantiated.

Right, so let's just agree with what is not controversial, that Beckham is one of the most popular soccer players in the world. As I said, going any further - like saying THE most popular athlete - is unsubstantiated.

I'll agree to the fact since there is no concrete evidence, it cannot be proven.

But DonShula's post does shed light on how big Beckham is around the world, and I think a lot of us Americans underestimate how prestigious and famous he really is.

We find it hard to believe that anyone can be more popular than Jordan, Tiger, etc., but step outside the border and you'll be amazed at how Jordan's marketing contracts with Haynes, Nike, and Gatorade are peanuts compared to what Bekcham has with about 200 different sponsors broadcasted in just about EVERY single country in the world.

There's got to be a reason why the f'in LA Galaxy and MLS spent 250 million dollars over 5 years on a 32 year old, past his prime player soccer player in a country where the National Soccer league is like the 7th rated sport's league in the country. Poker gets probably about 5 times the viewers as the MLS and they still felt the need to drop 250 million on Becks. There HAS to be a reason. He's just that popular and marketable to where they feel they can get a Return on the Investment.

That would be like a basketball team in Brazil giving 250 million dollars to Michael Jordan to come and play basketball for 5 years. They would never do it because basketball is insignificant over there(as soccer is over here) and Jordan wouldn't create the revenue (however the MLS and LA Galaxy feel that Beckham will).

I'll agree to the fact since there is no concrete evidence, it cannot be proven.

But DonShula's post does shed light on how big Beckham is around the world, and I think a lot of us Americans underestimate how prestigious and famous he really is.

We find it hard to believe that anyone can be more popular than Jordan, Tiger, etc., but step outside the border and you'll be amazed at how Jordan's marketing contracts with Haynes, Nike, and Gatorade are peanuts compared to what Bekcham has with about 200 different sponsors broadcasted in just about EVERY single country in the world.

There's got to be a reason why the f'in LA Galaxy and MLS spent 250 million dollars over 5 years on a 32 year old, past his prime player soccer player in a country where the National Soccer league is like the 7th rated sport's league in the country. Poker gets probably about 5 times the viewers as the MLS and they still felt the need to drop 250 million on Becks. There HAS to be a reason. He's just that popular and marketable to where they feel they can get a Return on the Investment.

That would be like a basketball team in Brazil giving 250 million dollars to Michael Jordan to come and play basketball for 5 years. They would never do it because basketball is insignificant over there(as soccer is over here) and Jordan wouldn't create the revenue (however the MLS and LA Galaxy feel that Beckham will).

The Galaxy is only paying Beckham $5.5 million a year for 5 years, not $250 million years over 5 years. That $250 million figure is mostly the result of endorsements and isn't really "guaranteed".

And the highest paid athlete in the world when counting endorsements is Tiger Woods (earns close to $100 million a year). And it will either be Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods that becomes the world's first billionaire athlete.

So, you can't go by money or Beckham is way down the list.

The Galaxy is only paying Beckham $5.5 million a year for 5 years, not $250 million years over 5 years. That $250 million figure is mostly the result of endorsements and isn't really "guaranteed".

And the highest paid athlete in the world when counting endorsements is Tiger Woods (earns close to $100 million a year). And it will either be Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods that becomes the world's first billionaire athlete.

So, you can't go by money or Beckham is way down the list.

The point I was making was how much money a soccer team and league in the USA is willing to spend on a single athlete in a sport that is virtually insignificant domestically.

To further clarify. No other country would be willing to pay that kind of money for Michael Jordan to play for 5 years. Especially a country where basketball is probably the 5th or 6th most popular sport such as a country like Brazil.

MLS just wants to keep bringing names and Beckham has started this. Schellotto, Blanco etc. have signed.

And now Wanchope of Costa Rica looks to be signing...

Back
Top Bottom