Best receiving set? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best receiving set?

TBW12

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Which of the four teams have the best set of receiving options?

New England Patriots: Randy Moss, Dante Stallworth, Wes Welker, Ben Watson

Miami Dolphins: Chris Chambers, Ted Ginn, Marty Booker, Ronnie Brown

New York Jets: Lavernues Coles, Jerricho Cotchery, Tim Dwight, Thomas Jones

Buffalo Bills: Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish, Josh Reed, Peerless Price

I took what I thought were the top four options to throw the ball to on the team. Bills got 4 WR, Pats a TE, Jets and Dolphins a RB along with 3 WR (obviously).

Obviously I'm gonna make a cause for my boys. As of right now, I think Evans is the best wr in the division (82 catches for 1,292 yards and 8tds). That said, we lack a true #2 but other guys were pretty productive as well. Parrish (23 for 320 and 2tds), Reed (34 for 410 and 2tds), and Price (49 for 402 and 3 tds). Also, TE Royal had a tds in 3 straight games and Lynch will be a huge part of the passing game.

It's really tough to rate this group because of the Pats. If the Pats' group is as good as they are on paper, they are #1 without a doubt. But if you based it on the last couple years, they have a declincing superstar (Moss), a disappointment who's never cracked 1,000 yards in 5 seasons and always gets hurt (Stallworth), and a solid but hardly a game-changer (Welker).

The Jets have the best one-two punch but have crap behind them. The Fins have Chambers (should be better but fact is he only has 1 1,000 season) and Booker (solid #2).

So my list would go:
1) Pats (still have Brady)
2) Bills (many productive players)
3) Jets (not deep)
4) Fins (QB & Chambers hurt team)

WHen did Dwight become the Jets #3?

It is Justin McCareins.

And you forgot Brad Smith and Chris Baker.

Every team has a pretty respectable receiving core, although the patriots seem to have the most deep threats. Between Ben Watson's heroics and if Randy Moss's formidable history the Patriots have the best receivers on the field.

Another dick measuring contest, how quaint.

You wouldn't have started this thread if New England didn't sign half the league's WRs

WHen did Dwight become the Jets #3?

It is Justin McCareins.

And you forgot Brad Smith and Chris Baker.
McCairens isn't a lock to be on the roster (it seems it's gone back and forth all offseason from what I've read) so I didn't want to include him. To be fair, I wasn't sure about Dwight either so I just picked one. If you feel it's McCareins, that's fine. Feel free to include him in your replies. And Brad Smith also runs and throws the ball he's not really a top 4 receiving option. Thomas Jones is the #3 receiving option anyways.

Smith and Baker aren't better options than the other four. Top four.

Another dick measuring contest, how quaint.

You wouldn't have started this thread if New England didn't sign half the league's WRs
Just can't do anything without being a douchebag. Unreal.

Then do it for who was the best last year. I don't care. The Pats can be fourth for all I give a damn. Just trying to start a topic everyone can get involved in. All four teams have gotten votes and are pretty solid. The Bills guy made great points about his team. Granted, the Dolphins guys never even gave a reason why but that's all over the board how they feel.

If you can't contribute to the discussion, then don't bother replying. Pretty simple.

I agree with BuffaloSoldier about Evans being the best in the division. He's a gamer and should be a pro bowler this season. Top recieving core goes to the Patriots easily. I'm not even talking about Moss. Welker, Stallworth, Caldwell, Washington, and 1st rounder Chad Jackson all have the potential to be quality recievers, especially with such a good qb. Brady must feel like a kid in a candy store.

I think that the Pats have the most threats, although Moss is far from the Randy Moss of old. If he can regain his former self then the Pats will have the best WR's without any question. But that's a BIG if. IMO Welker will have a bigger impact on the Pats than Moss.

While Evans is by far the best WR in the East (sorry Jets fans), the rest of the WR's need to step up and make some noise. They're not a bad group, but they need to be more of a factor on game day.

If Evans is the best in the AFCE, then Coles is the 2nd best. The Jets have a pretty good one two punch and if McCareins can improve on last season, they could rival the Pats for best WR group.

Miami has a lot of potential, but until they play the games we won't know how much of that potential will be realized. Chambers had an off year last year, but is now in a position to be better utilized by the coaching staff. I look for him to have a bounce back year. Booker is solid but needs to keep himself in games. He can be a very good #2 WR when he is healthy. The sky is the limit for Ted Ginn, he has big play potential everytime he touches the ball. He could be an amazing asset to the Miami offense, but his development is more important than instant numbers. If Cam wants to break him into the offense slowly for his own benefit, so be it. Ronnie should continue to be a weapon in the passing game, even more so with Cam calling the shots.

New England
NY Jets
Miami
Buffalo

Hmm, lets see:

1) NY Jets:
Laveranues Coles; great speed combined with good route runs make him in my opinion the second best receiver in the division (just behind Lee Evans). Cotchery impressed me last season and he will surely be the most talented #2 WR in the division (at least at the start of the season) and even though McCareins didn't have a good year he is still a solid #3 WR (considering the Jets will not cut him). I don't know of any other young guy in the franchise and I would appreciate an update.

2) NE Patriots:
I don't know why people think Randy Moss is not anymore good, I remember he was playing great as always during the first half of 2005 and even though he was not able to keep it up he still had pretty good numbers at the end of that season (all this in one of the worst teams that year). 2006 was not a good year for him and that is obvious, you have to see how bad Oakland's offense was (I had never seen such a bad offense in the six years I have watched the NFL). Also, people say he is not a leader...so what? He is pure talent. In New England Moss will have a comeback year and discipline will not be an issue.
Stallworth is a nice addition but lets remember he was injured all season long as an eagle and he has never had really good numbers. He will be a decent #2 WR though.
Now, I'm expecting good things of Jabar Gaffney. He was extremely good in the playoffs (for someone that was completely unknown). He did a good job as the Pats #1 WR in the post-season so Gaffney being a good third receiver is not a question to me... hey, maybe he will be able to take Stallworth's job.
Reche Caldwell provides good depth.

3) Buffalo Bills
Lee Evans in the real deal, he may lack of size but he has everything to be a franchise WR: speed, burst, hands and he is a good route runner. The problem is the depth though, Buffalo doesn't have any legitime #2 WR. Both Josh Reed and Price are good third receivers at their best, not more.

4) Miami Dolphins
Sorry fins' fans but having a good number one WR is essential and I don't think Chambers is that good (at least not that good as Coles, Moss or Evans). When we talk about depth Booker is a decent #2 WR but that's it. Tedd Ginn seems like a nice pick (I will not assure that though) and if he is able to break-out soon the Dolphins may be able to climb some spots in this ranking.

1. Pats by far. I don't know about Stallworth going to whole year uninjured, but look how much production he got out of McNabb last year. Now Tom Brady is throwing him the ball. Same with Randy Moss. He was productive in '05, and in '06 he had a carousel of ****ty QBs surrounding him. Plus now we have Welker in to replace Troy Brown (who I think is a better short yardage receiver than Brown was in his prime). Ben Watson was the biggest threat we had last year and if all goes well (no injuries to Moss and Stallworth) he won't see double or triple coverage anymore. Not to mention, Maroney is capable of catching the ball out of the backfield.

2. Bills. I agree with the poster who said (as of right now) Evans is the best receiver in the league. He had a great year last season. Roscoe Parrish looks promising too. I don't know much about Marshawn Lynch though.

3. Fins. I actually think that Ted Ginn Jr. is going to pan out at receiver for them. And, I'm in the minority (after seeing Beck's videos on You Tube) that thinks that passing up on Brady Quinn and drafing Beck in the second round is going to work. Beck has a cannon for an arm and, from what I've seen, looks pretty accurate. If the Fish move Chambers back to the slot, he will have a very productive year. Ginn won't be anything special in his first year, but he has blazing speed. He's small, but so is Steve Smith. Ronnie Brown is a beast too.

4. Jets. I think all the receiving corps in the division are good. Coles is lightning fast. I really like Cotchery too. He reminds me of a younger Deion Branch that plays for the Jets. Not too sure what Thomas Jones can do though. I have the Jest fourth simply for the fact that Pennington is not a long ball passer so neither receiver will ever get a chance to see big numbers.

Back
Top Bottom