Best 'Value' position at #29? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best 'Value' position at #29?

I don’t understand the question posted?

If you are just looking for the best positional value at #29 then you would hope that a top safety like Kyle Hamilton drops to 29 (which won’t happen or Dayton Hill which might… or a top interior D-lineman either Jordan Davis or Devonte Wyatt dropping to #29 because those are the positions in this draft that have the thinnest talent overall. If you were to wait on those 2 positions till the 2nd or 3rd round the talent level drops off quite considerably. This obviously would depend on need.

The Wr position that is a need for Miami is the second deepest position this year behind edge rushers, which maybe another need position. The OT, IOL and RB positions in this draft are 4,5 & 6 ranked by depth in this years draft.

The thinnest position which the Dolphins need to upgrade this year is the LB position. So I would think Lloyd or

Dean would represent the best value for the Dolphins if they should fall to #29.

For me it depends on who wants to move back up into the 1st round. If someone from Detroit to Denver wants to move back into the 1st, trade back and haul in the day two guys.
and this is why i will be sleeping when pick 29 comes around. stay up til after 11 for us to trade into round 2, I'd be a cranky SOB in 4 hours when i got up for work.

Also wouldnt mind one of the injured bama wr's, not metchie in the first tho

Im starting to like all the hype that is surrounding the Ark WR. Just be aggravating as hell to stay up late, draft a developmental OT, and have to be up at 245 am the next morning on a WTF!? note

and this is why i will be sleeping when pick 29 comes around. stay up til after 11 for us to trade into round 2, I'd be a cranky SOB in 4 hours when i got up for work.

Also wouldnt mind one of the injured bama wr's, not metchie in the first tho

Im starting to like all the hype that is surrounding the Ark WR. Just be aggravating as hell to stay up late, draft a developmental OT, and have to be up at 245 am the next morning on a WTF!? note
I sir will be drinking beers lol.

I wouldnt expect RB at 29... This offense really looks for a specific skillset that doesnt require such a big investment... OL is usually great value at that spot, but the fact Fins pretty much roster all rookie contracts already on that unit(32nd in actual cap allocation) lessens the actual value of adding another one, nevermind the fact you'd rather make safer bets(FA) there given its a really weak unit to begin with...

So that leaves them with WR, EDGE and CB as optimal +EV picks... You can start to add MLB and OL in the equation in the 2nd round, then start to implement a somewhat BPA driven approach moving foward...
I agree. I think they will wait until the middle rounds to draft a RB. Any offensive lineman at 29 would likely be a project pick. So a WR would likely make the most sense at 29 unless a player at another need position drops down to them.

The way I see the team is we are close to playoff contention. We are not building from scratch. I would go into FA filling my NEEDS. That is where I build my oline from. That is where I get who I absolutely have to have. If I miss out, then I look positionally at the draft. If not, I'm going best player available. I don't know if there is a position on this team that I would not take, if they drop and are really the best player on the board.

The depth of the WR group leaves little "value" by taking one at 29...same with RB. LB or Edge would represent the most value unless Linderbaum slips, then he becomes the best value...

Im honestly going into this expecting them to re-tool something, and fast. Potentially our OL, potentially at WR. We have several starters that are pretty out of whack in this system, so Id expect them to address that. I do not think it'll be a defensive player

This is such a trade down opportunity and it smells like a Grier move. I can see getting a late 1st next year and a second or third this year in exchange with a playoff team from last year.

Honestly, until free agency I have no clue. I wouldn't be shocked if they trade the 29th pick for an established vet at WR or OL, and I'd be fine with that.

As it stands right now three names I see around that area of the draft are Zion Johnson, Jermaine Johnson, and Nakobe Dean. I think if they could walk away with any of those three it's would be great. I am not sure any of them are actually there though at 29.

Wilson, Burks, Olave - hope one of them is there, then its easy.

Neither of the OSU kids.

Maybe Jameson Williams, because of the knee. Only a handful of teams can afford to take a chance on Williams.

Eagles with multiple firsts can. Buffalo doesn’t have the need but they could afford to wait on him to be 100%. Maybe the Saints because they have no direction and obviously in a rebuild. New England seems like a possibility as well.

My early guess is that WR is most likely going to be the best value there. WRs generally fall come draft day relative to what they're projected earlier in the draft process. This draft doesn't have one top guy, but it has several really good prospects. And with so many WRs having impressive workouts this year, I could see teams liking multiple WRs and being willing to wait on WR. So WRs may fall even more than they do every year.

That being said, there are two LBs (Lloyd and Dean) and one OL (Linderbaum) who I see as great prospects currently being mocked anywhere from mid first to late first. If one of those 3 made it to #29 I'd be tempted to take them there and wait on WR as well.

IMO this draft it would be wiser to target RB in the 3rd or 4th rounds and/or later. Like WR, I see a deep draft with no single top prospect. I'd be happy with a guy like Cook, Ford or Badie later in the draft (maybe two of them).

For me it depends on who wants to move back up into the 1st round. If someone from Detroit to Denver wants to move back into the 1st, trade back and haul in the day two guys.
At this point, without knowing what we are about to do in free agency, I suspect we will try to trade back from pick 29 for more draft picks.

I read once that an analysis showed that the very best selections are made in the first 20 draft picks; after that you are at a lower tier of likely successful candidates.

I am looking forward to seeing how our new HC and current GM approach this Free Agency period. Then I will be in a better position to anticipate how they might handle the draft.

I don't expect any "blockbuster" types of signings, but at this point - who knows?

Back
Top Bottom