Better or Worse? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Better or Worse?

O
Jets got alot better

Pats got a tiny bit better

Dolphins got a tiny bit worse

Bills got ALOT worse
On paper.

Do ppl still use paper? Ever notice that people (me) forget how to write in paper since we became addicted to typing on phones? A shame really as some people's handwriting (my wife's) is absolutely perfect - mine on the other hand is / was like a Dr prescription in terms of legibility.

O
On paper.

Do ppl still use paper? Ever notice that people (me) forget how to write in paper since we became addicted to typing on phones? A shame really as some people's handwriting (my wife's) is absolutely perfect - mine on the other hand is / was like a Dr prescription in terms of legibility.
Yea my handwriting is atrocious

Last edited:
The offensive line lacked in pass protection from the interior of the Oline. That was huge throughout the year. If it wasn't for the offense being designed to get the ball our in about 2 seconds, who knows how bad things could have gotten.

The other issue was on running the ball third and forth down. It lacked in all phases. That's on the coaching staff.

There was no physicality what's so ever throughout the entire team. While the offense was exciting and played well against the lesser teams, it folded against bigger and better competition. The defense looked lost due to philosophy and couldn't play well against better teams.

As for running the ball. Miami finished 6th in rushing with over 2300 yards. But like I pointed out earlier, failed on third/forth and short. Gotta change that.

Lastly other things that needing to change. It's the reliance on Waddle and Hill in the passing game. Too many times the shorter, intermediate routes or underneath were ignored in favor of deeper patterns to Waddle and Hill. Then there is Tua's reluctance to pull the ball down and haul azz when there is open field in front of him. In several of Miami's losses, all could have been the difference in a potential win.

Fix these issues and they improve.

The offensive line lacked in pass protection from the interior of the Oline. That was huge throughout the year. If it wasn't for the offense being designed to get the ball our in about 2 seconds, who knows how bad things could have gotten.

The other issue was on running the ball third and forth down. It lacked in all phases. That's on the coaching staff.

There was no physicality what's so ever throughout the entire team. While the offense was exciting and played well against the lesser teams, it folded against bigger and better competition. The defense looked lost due to philosophy and couldn't play well against better teams.

As for running the ball. Miami finished 6th in rushing with over 2300 yards. But like I pointed out earlier, failed on third/forth and short. Gotta change that.

Lastly other things that needing to change. It's the reliance on Waddle and Hill in the passing game. Too many times the shorter, intermediate routes or underneath were ignored in favor of deeper patterns to Waddle and Hill. Then there is Tua's reluctance to pull the ball down and haul azz when there is open field in front of him. In several of Miami's losses, all could have been the difference in a potential win.

Fix these issues and they improve.
Agree. My concern is the offseason didn't seem to emphasize physicality.

A few on defense, but offensive philosophy is clearly speed.

I don't think it's as simple as better/worse.

CW and Hunt were big hits, no doubt, but other than that? I think we are better in some areas, such as LB.

JP and Chubb are unknowns. How long until they return to form, if at all.

Individual players aside, what will the defense look like under Weaver? We had talent last year, but the usage and stubbornness of the DC rendered it impotent to an extent, IMO. I was not a fan of VF and his vaunted scheme from the start. I kind of softened mid season but I didn't see the top level adjustments needed. I mean that Titan's game was a travesty. Yeah, I know the offense didn't show either, but that's exactly the type of game you pay a supposed defensive guru to pull through.

OK...... Rant over ..
Yep-I think we can all agree that Fangio was not who we thought he was!

I'd say Miami, at this point, is even with their "average" from last year. That average includes injuries, so there's a bit of a mitigating taste on it.

Miami wanted to get more physical...they've talked about it...and they backed it up in this draft in spades. The two new WRs, while short, are dogs. They don't go down easy for their size at all. The new RB is tough too. The two new Edge guys are also widely known for their motor and physicality.

But it'll all come down to how effective the trenches are, as others have already posted. I believe we're no worse at OL than we were early last season, potentially slightly better...not saying they're "good," but if the plan is still for Tua to get the ball out in 2 seconds, they'll look about the same. If we can get even a little luckier on injuries there, that unit could well be a plus by season's end.

Jury is completely out on the DL. We have to assume a heavy rotational line at this point...will they all gel? Does the new DC have the gumption to maximize it? I have faith he can, just have to wait and see. Could be a case of 2023 all over where the defense needs half a season to start clicking...that story's getting old.

Bills I'd say regression...they lost a lot of key guys.
Patriots I think are worse on defense w/o BB, offense is unknown IMO.
Jets are a damn good team with their QB1 suiting up.

I'd say Miami, at this point, is even with their "average" from last year. That average includes injuries, so there's a bit of a mitigating taste on it.

Miami wanted to get more physical...they've talked about it...and they backed it up in this draft in spades. The two new WRs, while short, are dogs. They don't go down easy for their size at all. The new RB is tough too. The two new Edge guys are also widely known for their motor and physicality.

But it'll all come down to how effective the trenches are, as others have already posted. I believe we're no worse at OL than we were early last season, potentially slightly better...not saying they're "good," but if the plan is still for Tua to get the ball out in 2 seconds, they'll look about the same. If we can get even a little luckier on injuries there, that unit could well be a plus by season's end.

Jury is completely out on the DL. We have to assume a heavy rotational line at this point...will they all gel? Does the new DC have the gumption to maximize it? I have faith he can, just have to wait and see. Could be a case of 2023 all over where the defense needs half a season to start clicking...that story's getting old.

Bills I'd say regression...they lost a lot of key guys.
Patriots I think are worse on defense w/o BB, offense is unknown IMO.
Jets are a damn good team with their QB1 suiting up.
Good points. Agree physicality can come in different packages.

Paul backing up Armstead could be an improvement there, but offensive line remains my main concern.

Maybe Grier and McDaniel know more than me???

As an aside, just from a law of averages standpoint , the Dolphins should be healthier in 2024. This wasn't a great line prior to injuries, but they were getting it done.

Jets got alot better

Pats got a tiny bit better

Dolphins got a tiny bit worse

Bills got ALOT worse
I'd basically agree with this. QB is the most important position by far (no duhšŸ˜‚), and likely the Jets and NE are significantly improved there. Bills got worse - but they started with the best roster.

Don't know, in the last game between the Dolphins and the Packers, Tua was looking better then Rodgers who was pretty healthy.
Was that the game Tua threw 3 interceptions in the 4th quarter on December 25 ?

IMO too many people seem to think that team improvement is just a sum of individual talent. A team is more than a sum of it's parts. That is also true of an OL. An OL will generally improve just by being together longer, even if the individual talent doesn't. Five linemen that can work together will be far more effective than five more talented lineman that don't. I have no idea if the OL will be better or worse this year, but I would say that anyone reducing it to looking at individual talents is missing the point on how an OL works.

And the same can be said about the team as a whole. A better run game will help the passing offense and the offense overall. As well as help the defense. A better pass rush will help the secondary. It goes on and on. The point is that just saying position A was upgraded or down graded is missing the point of development and football as the ultimate team sport.

I would say that my expectation is that the team will be better b/c they were able to strengthen some weaknesses that hurt them last year and key young players and coaches are now entering with another year of experience in the same system.

Fuller > Howard
Poyer > Elliot
Brooks > Baker
Van Gink/Ogbah = Chop/Kamara
Tart and company < Wilkins
Driscoll < Hunt
Washingtons > Wilson/Claypool/Chosen

Overall, i think it looks better on paper... its just a wait and see game now

Fuller > Howard
Poyer > Elliot
Brooks > Baker
Van Gink/Ogbah = Chop/Kamara
Tart and company < Wilkins
Driscoll < Hunt
Washingtons > Wilson/Claypool/Chosen

Overall, i think it looks better on paper... its just a wait and see game now
Chop and kamara will be better than gink and oggie...this I would put money on.

Easy answer is way better.
Tua is ready to become elite.
Every year he has worked on his body.
Now stronger and with a bit less bulk we finally see the true Tua.
Weapons are better.
Defense will be fine.
Screw what the rest of the east is doing.
This is our time.

Back
Top Bottom