Biggest Cover Up in Sports History or Move on Nothing to See Here | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Biggest Cover Up in Sports History or Move on Nothing to See Here

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
My long-time friend and a lifetime Rams fan was over for a visit recently. He's one of the most mild tempered people I have ever met, except when talking about the New England Patriots. Then it's like Bruce Banner turning into the Incredible Hulk.

He insists that the Patriots knew the Rams first 20 plays in the super bowl and that this is the biggest cover-up in sports history. He may be right. I've always wondered why the commish destroyed the evidence, or if it really just amounted to nothing.

Here's some information from ESPN. I'll put all the ESPN reports in bold. This is from February 2, 2008 (no byline, ESPN News Service):

An unnamed source has claimed a New England Patriots employee secretly videotaped the St. Louis Rams' pregame walk-through the day before Super Bowl XXXVI, the Boston Herald reported Saturday.

According to the report, an unnamed source close to the team during the 2001 season said that following the Patriots' walk-through at the Louisiana Superdome, a member of the team's video staff stayed behind and taped the Rams' walk-through
-- a non-contact, no-pads practice at reduced speed in which a team goes through its plays.

The cameraman was not asked to identify himself or produce a press pass and later rode the media shuttle back to the Patriots' hotel, the source told the Herald. It is not known what became of the tape, or whether the cameraman made the tape on his own initiative or at someone else's instruction, according to the report.

We all know the rest. Tape submitted to the commissioner. Here's what he said:

There were six tapes, according to Goodell -- some from the 2007 preseason and the rest from 2006. He said he had them destroyed because he was confident the Patriots had turned over all of the tapes and notes the NFL had requested in its investigation. He also said they were destroyed in order to prevent leaks to the media -- as some footage from one of the tapes was leaked shortly after the story broke.

"We wanted to take and destroy that information," Goodell said. "They may have collected it within the rules, but we couldn't determine that. So we felt that it should be destroyed."

This sounds very much like Water Gate and Richard Nixon to me. To this day, I can't understand why the tapes (evidence) would be destroyed. I will say that the NFL had nothing to gain if New England was found guilty. The PR problems, the potential loss of millions of money from sponsorships, and potential riots are just a few of the concerns the league might have had.

If the New England Patriots knew the first 20 plays, that would be the biggest scandal in sports history. The NFL certainly would have survived, but they would have taken a big hit from a fan base that is passionate about the sport.

According to my friend, the Rams gained 3.2 yards per play for the first 20 plays and more than 14 yards per play after that. I haven't verified that although, I searched play-by-play online. Of course, that disparity (if real) doesn't prove anything, but is interesting just the same.

The Rams, of course, were known as the greatest show on turf. They started fast and had multiple weapons in their arsenal. A slow start was not common, but certainly not out of the question either.

So is this the biggest cover up in sports history, or do you think there was really nothing there?

The Pats disgust me. Ask Kurt or Marshall and see what they say?

Between This, Spygate 2, Tuck Rule, Deflate Gate, Visiting Team Headset Issues, Poison Pill Clauses, Running O-linemen out for passes, Molesting Colts Wr's, Etc

The Pats will go down not only as massive scumbags who did not respect themselves, their opponents, or the game.

But they will forever be known as the biggest cheaters in the history of professional sports.

And I will cheer the day BB and TB get whats coming to them.

They will rue that day my friend, let me tell you.

It's not a big deal.

It's simply their scripted plays which often falls back on those that have been the most successful for them over the course of the year and also the QB's favorites.

Even I have this information. These are in fact Warner's play call sheets and his favorite plays.

Attachments

• Kurt.Warner.Gameplan.jpg
    Kurt.Warner.Gameplan.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Kurt.Warner.Gameplan(2).jpg
    Kurt.Warner.Gameplan(2).jpg
    108 KB · Views: 5
  • Kurt.Warner.Gameplan(3).jpg
    Kurt.Warner.Gameplan(3).jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Kurt.Warner.Gameplan(4).jpg
    Kurt.Warner.Gameplan(4).jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 3
I still think if Vermeil hadn't retired and coached that team instead of Martz , the Rams win that game.

That Patriots team was such an underdog and one of those fringy super bowl teams that got there because of a blown call against Oakland. I remember wondering what was wrong with the Rams offense as I had never seen them get off to such a slow start. I will say that I never expected New England to turn into a dynasty
I still think if Vermeil hadn't retired and coached that team instead of Martz , the Rams win that game.

Whoever thought that New England team would turn into a dynasty? It was such a fringy super bowl team, but obviously they got better through the years.

It's not a big deal.

It's simply their scripted plays which often falls back on those that have been the most successful for them over the course of the year and also the QB's favorites.

Even I have this information. These are in fact Warner's play call sheets and his favorite plays.

But is that legal? I guess that's the big question for me. I've never heard of taping other teams' practices before. Seems like a huge advantage if the opposing team sticks to the same order of plays.

I know with today's technology it would seem like this would be so easy to do. Everyone has cell phones etc.

That Patriots team was such an underdog and one of those fringy super bowl teams that got there because of a blown call against Oakland. I remember wondering what was wrong with the Rams offense as I had never seen them get off to such a slow start. I will say that I never expected New England to turn into a dynasty

Also remember that Belichick was well-known as the Giants DC for shutting down the Bills K-gun offense in SB XXV. It featured the top offense (Bills) in points scored vs the top defense (Giants) with the least amount of points scored against.

But is that legal? I guess that's the big question for me. I've never heard of taping other teams' practices before. Seems like a huge advantage if the opposing team sticks to the same order of plays.

I know with today's technology it would seem like this would be so easy to do. Everyone has cell phones etc.

John Madden talked about filming opposing team's signals in 1992

For as long as there's been football, there's been someone pushing a boundary and trying to gain an edge against an opponent. It's how the world of competition works and it's magnified in the NFL landscape.

With that in mind, and with the latest stories on Deflategate/Spygate and the Patriots circulating this Tuesday, let's hop in the way-back machine and listen to John Madden calling a Cowboys-Redskins game in 1992 and talking about teams videotaping signals.

"Lot of calling going on down there," Madden says, referring to the Redskins making signs for play-call purposes. "The backup quarterback, the coach, they have three or four guys giving a signal. Because usually when you play a team in your division, they also have films of the game, but they've also videotaped your signal callers."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/john-madden-talked-about-filming-opposing-teams-signals-in-1992/

Coaches have been intercepting other teams playcalls and signals for as long as there has been football. Coaches used to hire lip readers back in the day to put on their sideline and in the stands and scouts in the stands and press boxes with binoculars to try and decipher their opponents sideline cues.

To me, the only people that cry foul over the Patriots success are those that either hate them or do not understand the level of football at which they coach and play. It's usually a healthy dose of both.

John Madden talked about filming opposing team's signals in 1992

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/john-madden-talked-about-filming-opposing-teams-signals-in-1992/

Coaches have been intercepting other teams playcalls and signals for as long as there has been football. Coaches used to hire lip readers back in the day to put on their sideline and in the stands and scouts in the stands and press boxes with binoculars to try and decipher their opponents sideline cues.

To me, the only people that cry foul over the Patriots success are those that either hate them or do not understand the level of football at which they coach and play. It's usually a healthy dose of both.
Cheating isn't right. I don't believe in if you aren't cheating you aren't trying. We have rules in sports to create a level playing field. There's no doubt they cheated. Just because other teams cheated doesn't make it right. No doubt they are good coaches but cheating isn't right

Cheating isn't right. I don't believe in if you aren't cheating you aren't trying. We have rules in sports to create a level playing field. There's no doubt they cheated. Just because other teams cheated doesn't make it right. No doubt they are good coaches but cheating isn't right

It's not cheating.

Dungy said this morning on PFT Live that stealing signals is a legal and smart tactic in the NFL, and Sanders is wrong to conflate it with Spygate, in which the Patriots broke NFL rules by videotaping opposing teams’ signals from the sideline.

In a long explanation of the history of signal stealing, Dungy said it happens all the time and has for most of NFL history.

“I think we have to go back to what is cheating,” Dungy said. “People accusing us of cheating? I don’t think that’s the case. Stealing signals? You can go back to the 1800s in baseball, you can go anywhere there were signals done, and people were looking and watching and trying to get signals. Back in the early days of football the quarterbacks called the plays and the middle linebackers called the defenses and there was no signaling. When coaches decided they wanted to call plays you had to find ways to get the information in and there were people watching. My coach, Chuck Noll, was a messenger guard for Paul Brown in the ’50s because Paul Brown didn’t want to have to signal because people are going to watch them. So that’s what happens and it’s been done legally for years.

I can't stand the Patriots either, but much of anything relating to the Patriots are good for rating and blown out of proportion. They are the envy of the league by opposing players and coaches. Beat them and all this talk goes away.

Whoever thought that New England team would turn into a dynasty? It was such a fringy super bowl team, but obviously they got better through the years.
I actually rooted for NE in that game - because they felt like such an underdog and in games where I don't care about the outcome, I generally pull for the "little guy". Had I known what was about to come, I could never have pulled for them. The Rams being out of synch early was weird. It was also sheer arrogance on Mike Martz' part that he failed to adjust for so long. I seem to recall him continuing to beat his head against the wall w plays that didn't work for too long. He was ****y going in and thought they were going to stomp NE. Tapes or not, he was the reason they lost. And you may be right about Vermeil. Had he coached that team, they may have won the game.

To my knowledge, there is nothing wrong with stealing signals, but I don't know about the legality of actually taping another team's practice and going over it ahead of time. There is not doubt they are full of "questionable" stuff and twice have been deemed by the league to have cheated. If someone is caught cheating twice, how many other times do you think it has actually happened? For all the Patriots dynasty, what is interesting is they have never had a Super Bowl that was an easy win, that they blew someone out like the 49er's and Cowboys used to do. I really believe one day, some ex player or staff member is going to be pissed about something and write a tell all book, probably after BB and Brady have retired.

John Tomasse wrote that article. The Boston Hrald later retracted that story.

Pats never taped Rams practice or walkthrough

Back
Top Bottom