Black Coaches | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Black Coaches

RonnFin46

Another Long Season
Reaction score
Before you all go crazy just listen to what I have to say. As you can obviously tell from my avatar I am not black. But I am not racist either, I have black friends and have nothing against black people or any other people. But one thing that does bother me is how everyone keeps talking about how Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith are the first african-american coaches to make it to the superbowl. Thats great, seriously what an accomplishment. But we do not have to hear about it all the time, they are turning this into a race thing where its the black coaches vs the white coaches. It shouldnt be that way, they need to stop talking about races and talk about the teams. They should be proud of themselves that they were the first ones to do it, but thats enough. Its not really one for the record books and if I were an african-american person i would actually feel somewhat ashamed because it looks as if everything they do is is looked at with a microscope. They should be treated like people and because they are black they are making it like it is a bigger accomplishment than it really is. I mean yea they are going to the superbowl and dont get me wrong its a hell of an accomplishment. But they are blowing this race thing up too much. What do you guys think?

well I agree that the race thing does get blown up too much, but at the same time it is a huge accomplishment. I think it sends the message to all people, no matter what color that you can succeed because you've got talent, not because of your skin.

well I agree that the race thing does get blown up too much, but at the same time it is a huge accomplishment. I think it sends the message to all people, no matter what color that you can succeed because you've got talent, not because of your skin.

It looks like yet another us against them thing to me. There are several talented black coaches in the league so it's not surprising that two are in the Super Bowl. I was honestly surprised that it had not happened already. The problem with the race thing is that everybody preaches equality and color blindness but hangs onto their differences with a vice grip. We've got to dump that us against them mentality. We've got to stop looking at it as a black guy is doing this or a white guy always does that. And Americans need to stop referring to themselves as African, Asian, or whatever. We're all Americans and we're equal. People are actually trying too hard to mend old racial rifts. The problem now is that we're at a point where we can't move any further ahead until we let go of our differences completely.

It's a milestone in sports, the first time for Black coaches so it's going to be a big thing. However after the first time there won't be as big of a deal because it's already happened. I think that for so long that there have been few minority head coaches that when it's finally going to happen you're going to get a lot of people getting fed up with the storyline because people think it turns into a race thing.

Well you know what, it is a race thing. Just not a "us vs them" but another celebration of an equality milestone.

It's a milestone in sports, the first time for Black coaches so it's going to be a big thing. However after the first time there won't be as big of a deal because it's already happened. I think that for so long that there have been few minority head coaches that when it's finally going to happen you're going to get a lot of people getting fed up with the storyline because people think it turns into a race thing.

Well you know what, it is a race thing. Just not a "us vs them" but another celebration of an equality milestone.

exactly. its been less than 24 hours since this happen and there is already to much of it?

I think the bigger issue is definitely the first gay quarterback to be in the superbowl, what an accomplishment for the community.

Just kidding, but seriously.

I think it's great that two black coaches are going to the SB but let me say one thing. I can't stand it when (like they did earlier tonight) making a big deal about how there aren't that many black coaches. Guess what? 70% (they said it not me) of the players in the league are black. You don't hear white guys complaining there should be more white players do you? Stuff like that kind of bugs me.

You, as well as many others in the forum, have missed the point.

Yes...a society that did not look at the race or color of one's skin of each individual would be great. Yes, it is something we should strive for.

No, it is not a world we live in. And it's not just in America. The playing field is still not equal.

African American coaches have found themselves under the microscope over the years a hell of a lot more than white coaches, the same as Black quarterbacks. They have had a harder time gaining employment, and often times are the victim of backhanded racist quips (half of the Dolphins board I used to frequent called Lovie Smith the "Rooney Rule" interview when the Bears were interviewing him. God I'm glad they were proven wrong.)

So this truly is a milestone, and it is not reverse racism, because white coaches have never had to go through what Black coaches have. White America needs to quit finding excuses to be defensive, because truth be told, how hard have we had it? Yea, exactly.

I think it's great that two black coaches are going to the SB but let me say one thing. I can't stand it when (like they did earlier tonight) making a big deal about how there aren't that many black coaches. Guess what? 70% (they said it not me) of the players in the league are black. You don't hear white guys complaining there should be more white players do you? Stuff like that kind of bugs me.

It wouldn't be the same thing. White players, nor coaches, collectively, have ever faced adversity or strife because of their skin color, or had much in the way of obstacles to overcome.

For white America to say something like that would be fruitless and petty.

Let's face it....minorities have made great strides as athletes and whites are in the minority in many sports, but why is it that you rarely see minorities as coaches, GM's or owners? I know you have to have a ton of money to own a pro sport's franchise and you are free to hire whoever you want, but it seems like in the NFL there is still a good old boy network where many of the franchises are not up to diversifying their organization. I am sure that Lovie and Dungy would like to just be recognized for being great coaches and not have to hear they are the first black coaches to coach a SB team. I also think there should be more Hispanic coaches in college and pro ball. But the bottom line is you should hire the best coach, and if that person is Black, Hispanic, Asian, White, or whatever, that is the coach you take to run your team.

It's an accomplishment any way you look at it, so stop trying to beat around reality.

It's just like a player being the youngest ever to do something, or something of that sort.....

Well unlike most of you I am actually black. It is a big deal that two black coaches made it to the superbowl. The league has only been intergrated for 60 years. The first head black head coach was Art Shell in 1989. A lot of progress has been made. They haven't made a huge deal out of it.

It looks like yet another us against them thing to me. There are several talented black coaches in the league so it's not surprising that two are in the Super Bowl. I was honestly surprised that it had not happened already. The problem with the race thing is that everybody preaches equality and color blindness but hangs onto their differences with a vice grip. We've got to dump that us against them mentality. We've got to stop looking at it as a black guy is doing this or a white guy always does that. And Americans need to stop referring to themselves as African, Asian, or whatever. We're all Americans and we're equal. People are actually trying too hard to mend old racial rifts. The problem now is that we're at a point where we can't move any further ahead until we let go of our differences completely.

Awesome, just absolutely awesome.

Back
Top Bottom