Blanket Coverage: Sorry Adam Gase, even you can't fix Ryan Tannehill | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Blanket Coverage: Sorry Adam Gase, even you can't fix Ryan Tannehill

Tannehill is here as long as Gase is and that's clear

Actually, I'd be really happy if still Gase is here after Tanny retires. I know what you mean here, but we've grown so accustomed to head coaches lasting no more than 5 years. What about a guy that outlasts some player careers, like Shula did?

I'll proudly admit I don't even know what the **** those numbers mean. :lol:

Nor do I want to know.

If some "formula" is saying that Tannehill was a better QB under Lazor in '15 than under Gase in '16 . . . there's lies, damned lies, and statistics.

I have a pretty good grasp of statistical methods and the first thing that jumps out at me when I read the method is that these "numbers" in the calculation are judgments Not measurements. That means that it is virtually impossible to do a repeatability and reproducibility check. So the result is subjective and unverifiable as a method.

Look at the ratings and you can see the result.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg A. Bedard

Joe Philbin went through it for three-plus seasons. Now it’s Adam Gase’s turn.

Call it the Three Stages of (Ryan) Tannehill.

This article was before the turn around, now we get articles like this: Hyde: Tannehill shutting up nearly five years of noise around him | Commen

First comes the honeymoon phase. You see Tannehill's size (6-4, 216 pounds), arm strength, athletic ability and his quick motion, and dream about the future and all that as a coach you can accomplish with him. No huddle. Zone read. Play-action bombs. It all seems possible.

In the second stage, the actual games start and things just don’t work out as you envisioned. Something is missing, and the offense flounders. You say to yourself, “Ryan has all these gifts, it can’t be him.” So you find excuses on film—struggles by the offensive line, inconsistent drops from the receivers. “We need to play better around him, it’s not all Ryan’s fault, he’s our guy,” you finally declare.

The third stage is when reality sets in: Tannehill, for all his talents, just doesn’t have the instincts for the position. If they ever come, it will be later in his career like a Rich Gannon. But you won’t be around to see it.

It only took five games but Gase is already in full-blown Stage 2 mode and the prognosis isn’t good.

FULL STORY: http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/10/13/ryan-tannehill-adam-gase-dolphins

That article was before the turn around, now we get articles like this: Hyde: Tannehill shutting up nearly five years of noise around him | Commen

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-hyde-dolphins-column-1122-20161121-column.html

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

He's actually rated worse than with philbin/Lazor.

Nah bruh, 2016..
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb..

And why do you keep bringing up Rivers? Rivers is highly productive behind a terrible oline, And has been for years. Your not helping your case by bringing up rivers in any way.

I'm going to remember to bring this specific post up when talking about cherrypicking stats.

So...since we're clarifying again...based on this irrefutable evidence, you think that Brian Hoyer, Cody Kessler, Trevor Siemian, Blake Bortles, and Colin Kaepernick are better QB options than Tannehill?

Oh, and that you'd also take Hoyer over Luck?

Yet that highly productive QB has only 2 playoff games since the 2010 season. Puts up nice numbers but the rest of the team around him isn't very good. Sound familiar?

Tannehill is here as long as Gase is and that's clear. Funny how Gase called out the media and their poor evaluation skills concerning Tannehill and you argue the same points as they did. Even funnier how they're all changing their tune because even they see and acknowledge the progress 17 has made since they cut Thomas, Turner and Douglas coincidentally, 6 games ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is silliness. Philip Rivers is an awful QB! Let's not take anything else into consideration. From 2012, Philip Rivers led teams have been 8 games under .500.

No excuses. Don't want to hear about bad O-Lines, WR running the wrong routes, and absolute dumpster fire of a management structure....

Nope.

Give me Brock Osweiler over Rivers any day. He wins more as a starting QB, right? No, not in 2015, RIGHT NOW! 2016!

[video=youtube;0cVlTeIATBs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cVlTeIATBs[/video]

I'll proudly admit I don't even know what the **** those numbers mean. :lol:

Nor do I want to know.

If some "formula" is saying that Tannehill was a better QB under Lazor in '15 than under Gase in '16 . . . there's lies, damned lies, and statistics.

You of all people don't know what DVOA is? Come on bruv.... You know exactly what those stats mean.

Yet that highly productive QB has only 2 playoff games since the 2010 season. Puts up nice numbers but the rest of the team around him isn't very good. Sound familiar?

Tannehill is here as long as Gase is and that's clear. Funny how Gase called out the media and their poor evaluation skills concerning Tannehill and you argue the same points as they did. Even funnier how they're all changing their tune because even they see and acknowledge the progress 17 has made since they cut Thomas, Turner and Douglas coincidentally, 6 games ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still ignoring that the source you used ranks tannehill among the worst QBs in the NFL? Why are you still ignoring it?

And instead you try to change the subject by comparing tannehill to a HOF qb, one of the most productive QBs on NFL history. That's really the road you want to go down?

Finheaven....

Priceless....

I'm going to remember to bring this specific post up when talking about cherrypicking stats.

So...since we're clarifying again...based on this irrefutable evidence, you think that Brian Hoyer, Cody Kessler, Trevor Siemian, Blake Bortles, and Colin Kaepernick are better QB options than Tannehill?

Oh, and that you'd also take Hoyer over Luck?

I posted the source because he used it first, so I thought it Would be funny.

I don't use football outsiders but if there is one stat I find useful there it's DVOA. These kinds of ranks aren't meant to be perfect, that's impossible, they are meant to give you an idea of where a player ranks among his peers, that's all. If your player is ranked among a group of players that sucks 2 years in a row, you should probably at least begin consider the fact that,your player sucks.

OHHH wait a minute. I'm doing it wrong. Those QBs are all franchise QBs, it's their coaches, WRs, olines, running backs, and they played WR in college too! There's a learning curve! We need to wait 8-9 years and than well know!

And if I had pick who the best QB is out of that garbage pile of QBs, I'd call my GM and ask him to draft a new one.

You of all people don't know what DVOA is? Come on bruv.... You know exactly what those stats mean.

Still ignoring that the source you used ranks tannehill among the worst QBs in the NFL? Why are you still ignoring it?

And instead you try to change the subject by comparing tannehill to a HOF qb, one of the most productive QBs on NFL history. That's really the road you want to go down?

Finheaven....

Priceless....
His DYAR is ranked bottom third. Cant deny he had a horrible first 5 games. But the detractors narrative has always been he puts up nice numbers but doesnt win games and/or make plays when needed to boost his team. Since that slow start he's making impact plays and has led his team to 5 straight wins. Or has the narrative changed and its now about his numbers being down and the wins are a team effort? :rolleyes2:

Whats priceless is watching those who are foolish enough to hang onto a dying argument even in spite of one former multiple Super Bowl winning NFL head coach labeling him a franchise QB and his current coach stating some assessing his play as bad have "poor evaluation skills." :crazy:

Philip Rivers "one of the most productive NFL QBs in history." Not so much against 17 who he has a 1-3 career record against :lol:

#QBWinz bruh

This whole thread reminds me of an article that came out in March from Presnapreads.com about Tannehill and his accuracy ... Specifically one paragraph which points out a fact that not enough people understand. Our receivers were not catching the ball:

The Mike Wallace effect, Deep-ball Accuracy and Ryan Tannehill
For all of Tannehill’s 586 attempts last season, he had an Accuracy Percentage of 80.8 percent. Only five quarterbacks had a higher percentage than him and he was one of only six to cross 80 percent for the full season (You can find Accuracy Percentages for all quarterbacks in the Pre-Snap Reads Quarterback Catalogue). Despite being accurate on over 80 percent of his pass attempts, Tannehill completed just 61.9 percent of his passes. This was because his receivers failed at the catch point 63 times. .... Only Aaron Rodgers had more Failed Receptions tied to him last year, he had 64 ....

Bear in mind, this HIGH accuracy comes while standing behind an historically bad pass-protecting offensive line. "Serviceable" quarterbacks just don't achieve such things. They get hurt, replaced, and move on to another team when healthy.

PS: That whole article was fun to re-read, given the perspective that this year offers. Several video clips as well.

This whole thread reminds me of an article that came out in March from Presnapreads.com about Tannehill and his accuracy ... Specifically one paragraph which points out a fact that not enough people understand. Our receivers were not catching the ball:

The Mike Wallace effect, Deep-ball Accuracy and Ryan-Tannehill

Bear in mind, this HIGH accuracy comes while standing behind an historically bad pass-protecting offensive line. "Serviceable" quarterbacks just don't achieve such things. They get hurt, replaced, and move on to another team when healthy.

PS: That whole article was fun to re-read, given the perspective that this year offers. Several video clips as well.

Cue the Tannehill doesn't throw a catchable ball nonsense.

Wouldn't surprise me if Tannehill has an average statistical year but will hands down be a better overall quarterback by the end of the season.

Cue the Tannehill doesn't throw a catchable ball nonsense.

Wouldn't surprise me if Tannehill has an average statistical year but will hands down be a better overall quarterback by the end of the season.

he's 12 and 8 right now in this offense with a full year under his belt next year I'd expect a 30 td season...we will have to wait for it obviously this year given the start but we can expect 20 plus tds which is well below his capabilities

his deep ball accuracy is absolutely deadly this year and he's throwing a better fade too...credit the foot work improvements...

he's 12 and 8 right now in this offense with a full year under his belt next year I'd expect a 30 td season...we will have to wait for it obviously this year given the start but we can expect 20 plus tds which is well below his capabilities

his deep ball accuracy is absolutely deadly this year and he's throwing a better fade too...credit the foot work improvements...

With Parker continuing to improve I'd expect more jumpballs but redzone rushing TDs will keep the passing TDs down.

With Parker continuing to improve I'd expect more jumpballs but redzone rushing TDs will keep the passing TDs down.

I definitely think they are gonna start dialing up more things for dvp

isolation some play calls designed to get him good looks

targets a plenty

Some numbers that jump out:

Games 1-5

Rating 80
TDs 6
Ints 7
Sacked 17

Exit Thomas, Turner and Douglas

Games 6-10:

Rating 100