Blocked kicks/punts? Will Poole the player... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Blocked kicks/punts? Will Poole the player...

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
The following quote comes from the Juco Football Network...correspondent Big Red.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...tions/sunday/sports_040b81f3048400da0027.html

Sometime it takes people a while to adjust in a new environment. Others, however, seem to adjust with no problems. Just ask cornerback Will Poole from Ventura College.

Since stepping foot on campus, Poole has been an impact player for the Ventura College football program. For the entire 2002 season, he was that “playmaker†on the defensive side of the football. Poole was that thorn in the foot for opposing offenses.

He led the team with seven interceptions and six blocked kicks (two blocked FG and four PAT). One of the blocked kicks resulted in Poole returning for a 75-yard touchdown. Also adding to the resume were four force fumbles, three fumble recoveries, 14 pass-deflections and 61 tackles.

What is so remarkable about these statistics is that Poole played in only 7 1/2 of 10 games because of a concussion.

“ I felt coming from a D-I program that I would be expected to make this impacted……I just wanted to do my thing and help the team win games…..All the rest will take care of itself,†he said.

Making an impact this year would not go unnoticed because Poole was named to the All-Conference First Team Defense and First Team JC Grid-Wire All-American Team. Other awards that are still in arms reach for Poole is First Team All-California Defense and 2002 California Defensive Player of the Year.

It should be interesting to see what next step Poole takes because many D-I colleges are knocking at his door. Whatever program ends up signing Poole will be getting that “impact player†that gives offensive coordinators headaches.

Sidelines:

If it was up to me to vote for the 2002 California Defensive Player of the Year Poole would get my vote. The stats that were complied by Poole are unreal just look at how many games he participated in. Some cornerbacks finish there football career with stats that Will Poole complied in one season. Just image if he puts these numbers up on the D-1 level he would be that first rated cornerback coming out for the NFL draft. What say by you Mr. Mel Kiper, Jr ?

That was written about Will Poole's 2002 season at Venture Junior College...where he was a 1st team All-JUCO selection.

The following are Will Poole's statistics for the 2003 season at USC, according to Yahoo Sports.

7 Games, 13 total tackles (10 solo), 2 sacks, 7 interceptions (for 70 yards return), 1 Interception return TD, and 6 blocks.

Now, the following is a quote from FinsFlurry, who was kind enough to do some mini-camp reports for FinHeaven....dated Tuesday, May 18th.

Then Mare drilled FG's with Turk holding through the narrow goalposts. Will Poole was coming off the edge with a great burst on these drills, was he a kick-blocker at USC? Hopefully he'll pan out and we can have the next Ed Reed, he almost blocked a couple.

What I find interesting is that this issue in particular, blocking kicks, was independantly verified by a fan on the site...because I know that nobody around here or in his draft bios and whatnot really paid much attention to his ability to block kicks off the speed edge...so I doubt that FinsFlurry was in some way biased by the statistics which I'm sure he's yet to see (otherwise he would not have asked the question).

In other words, in JUCO Will Poole blocked kicks and amassed amazing stats for 7 and a half games...in Division I-A on a national championship team he blocked 6 kicks in 7 games...and now he shows up to mini-camp and an onlooker coincidentally notices that he's coming off the edge and getting in kickers' faces really fast.

This COULD all be a coincidence. But what I take from it is, I would be willing to bet that Will Poole blocks at least one kick this season for us, and it will probably be early...because he's not on the radar screen until he blocks one.

BTW, that writer Big Red, he had an interesting statement...if Poole can match his JUCO production at the D1-A level, he should be the first CB taken. Well, he matched it...damn near outdid himself in fact, considering he didn't even let up a single reception in the first 5 of his 7 games as a Trojan. 7 interceptions, 6 blocks, and 2 sacks later...he's a 4th rounder. He matched his production so well, its hard to tell which season was what! I mean, both years he played 7 games, had 7 interceptions and 6 blocked kicks...except one year was at Ventura College and the other was at USC (BIG difference).

As for the theft issue...that raises MAJOR red flags to me. When someone is caught stealing especially from a fellow player thats really bad...but, it sounds like he learned his lesson. According to the Palm Beach Post, he turned himself in...

He didn't need the money. He wasn't caught up with friends. He just took it.

And then, realizing it was wrong, he turned himself in.

I'll finish with one quote by Boston College coach Bob Shoop:

The football staff wanted him back, but BC said it wasn't in the best interest of BC. He's still the best player I've ever coached."

Doesn't Ed Reed block a lot of kicks for the Ravens? Maybe Poole is that type of player (on special teams). That would be awesome. A blocked kick can totally change the outcome of a game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope that some of Poole's kick blocking instincts carry over to the NFL. This team desperately needs a player who can change the face of a game on a single special teams play, a la an Ed Reed.

When was the last time the Dolphins had a consistent game breaker on special teams? OJ's rookie year?

I thought Kirby Dar Dar was a consistant play maker on special teams. He was really good at pinning teams inside the 10.

Thanks CK for the great read...

Thats all any ST needs, its just one play-maker, that can make a game changing play, when it's least expected. Our ST needs a play-maker...

What's up Dolphans?
I have been a Dolphin fan since '72. I was seven years old and liked the team that never lost. I have been the Special Teams Coordinator at Ventura College in California for the past five years. Obviously I was pumped when the Phins drafted Will Poole.
We placed a great emphasis on blocking kicks at VC. We blocked 13 the year Will played for us. Will blocked six of them. Last year we only blocked seven. See the difference Will made?
You will all have a blast watching Will on special teams this season. He can cover kicks and punts as well as return punts. He will be a terror on kick off coverage. He loves the game and will do whatever it takes to help the Phins win. As far as character, he was one of the most respectful hardworking players I have ever been around. He showed up early everyday to practice fielding punts from the jugs machine.
He is the best open field tackler I have ever seen at any level. He doesn't break down. He accelerates through the tackle. Did you see the Rose Bowl? He had two sacks, 5 pass deflections, and 10 tackles. He's also smart as a whip and can play safety if necessary.

Tom

Thanks Tom, that is some great insight on Poole. Does this mean you'll be watching his career more closely now that he has been drafted?

We need all the ST help we can get. I truly believe special teams is a major factor in games, and can actually determine the outcome of the game.

Remember when Dante Hall was returning all those kicks for tons of yardage (and even some scores) for KC early in the year? They were unbeatable.

The same thing goes for blocked kicks. That would really help us out during the game. I don't even remember the last time we had a blocked kick.

22Mercury said:
What's up Dolphans?
I have been a Dolphin fan since '72. I was seven years old and liked the team that never lost. I have been the Special Teams Coordinator at Ventura College in California for the past five years. Obviously I was pumped when the Phins drafted Will Poole.
We placed a great emphasis on blocking kicks at VC. We blocked 13 the year Will played for us. Will blocked six of them. Last year we only blocked seven. See the difference Will made?
You will all have a blast watching Will on special teams this season. He can cover kicks and punts as well as return punts. He will be a terror on kick off coverage. He loves the game and will do whatever it takes to help the Phins win. As far as character, he was one of the most respectful hardworking players I have ever been around. He showed up early everyday to practice fielding punts from the jugs machine.
He is the best open field tackler I have ever seen at any level. He doesn't break down. He accelerates through the tackle. Did you see the Rose Bowl? He had two sacks, 5 pass deflections, and 10 tackles. He's also smart as a whip and can play safety if necessary.

Tom

Hey Tom, thanks for your input on Will Poole, is there a real special player that stands out in your mind at VC this year?

22Mercury Thanks for the insight its always nice when a coach or player takes time out of their schedule to give us their take on things. I really like what Will has done when he faced adversity (even when he brought it on himself). I think he could very well unseat Madison as soon as next year, and was the steal of the draft.

Good research CK.

I personally didn't notice Will Pooles blocking ability at all. Good Read.

When was the last time Miami blocked a punt?? I haven't seen it happen.

This is an outstanding threat, thanks CK, very good insight, and with Tom, the ST coach who coached him to add to this threat is even more than one can expect on a fan's site..Thanks,,man I love the info we get here.

Gonk said:
I don't even remember the last time we had a blocked kick.

It has been quite some time since the Dolphins last blocked a PAT or FG. I remember hearing broadcasters commenting on how many attempts it has been since we have blocked a PAT or FG. I don't remember the number though.

The draft exchange made mention of his blocks and one of the mags mentioned that he can return punts. If I remember correctly, he ran for a lot of yardage as a QB in high school. I knew that he blocked 6 but not 12 in 2 years. As he becomes successful for us, teams will have to focus on him thus freeing up others. I have not had the pleasure of seeing him play yet, but everything I have read said the kid is fantastic. Kids make mistakes, and he is a kid, but at the same time he was a man in admitting his mistakes etc... takes a lot of charater to admit when you are wrong when you know the consequences are heavy, so I am not worried one bit about that aspect. Thanks Tom for the insight...Any good things to say about AJ Feeley?

Back
Top Bottom