Bobby Carpenter Is The Man | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bobby Carpenter Is The Man

Crowder52

Inside LB
Reaction score
The more I look at this draft, the more I find myself liking Bobby Carpenter. He has great size at 6'3 and is over 250 lbs. Runs in the 4.6 range. He was utilized as Ohio State's primary coverage LB his junior season, but his senior year saw him playing in a 3 point stance on passing downs and rushing the passer in addition to coverage duties. He played some safety in high school so he has the background in the coverage area, and he gained blitzing experience last year while improving his pass-rush moves.

So he's a guy we could count on in coverage and also one who can put on a good pass rush. Certainly has the size to play LB in the 3-4. Also has the NFL pedigree as his father Rob played for the NY Giants. No character issues at all with this guy, he's been a first class player throughout his career.

I don't see Carpenter necessarily becoming the best at his position or having a HOF career. What I see in this guy is one of the safer picks in the mid to late first round. He's going to be a solid football player. I feel like we could put him at backer and he and Channing can form the core of the next generation of our D. In my opinion, he has little chance of being a bust. If you look back at the first round of any NFL Draft, you see many players who were way overrated when they came out and didn't produce in the league (see: plenty of the Dolphins picks in recent memory). I think Carpenter is somewhat underrated. He doesn't have one of those super-high ceilings on his ability but he is flat out going to contribute.

There are plenty of players who may represent more "value," but most if not all of those players have more question marks than Carpenter. It won't be a sexy pick, but a safe one at a position of need.

That being said, I do not think this is the direction we will go on draft day. This is just a plea from a fan. Let me know what you all think of him and if anyone agrees with me.

Carpenter could be a very good player. If it wasn't for Hawk being next to him he would have gotten a lot more attention. Good pick and wouldn't mind seeing it. Guy works hard.

Miamifin23 said:
Carpenter could be a very good player. If it wasn't for Hawk being next to him he would have gotten a lot more attention. Good pick and wouldn't mind seeing it. Guy works hard.

Yea Hawk pretty much stole all of this guy's thunder. Not unlike what Greenway has done to Abdul Hodge, another backer I like.

It isn't just that Carpenter is the safe pick -- it's that he fits what Saban seems to want out of his strongside linebacker quite well. I know others disagree with me here, but I think Nick is looking for a guy who can cover and rush. Carpenter is that guy. He's made to order. That has to count for something.

Crowder52 said:
Yea Hawk pretty much stole all of this guy's thunder. Not unlike what Greenway has done to Abdul Hodge, another backer I like.
Jimmy James said:
It isn't just that Carpenter is the safe pick -- it's that he fits what Saban seems to want out of his strongside linebacker quite well. I know others disagree with me here, but I think Nick is looking for a guy who can cover and rush. Carpenter is that guy. He's made to order. That has to count for something.

Couldn't agree more. Carpenter is definitely my top pick if we go OLB.

I think if we trade down, Carpenter would be a very good pick. Although he plays OLB now, some scouts have him projected to play ILB in the future. With that kind of versatility, he could team with Crowder to cause alot of confusion to offenses.
The only question I have about Carpenter is his leg. He broke it last year before the Fiesta Bowl and then pulled his hamstring which effected him in his latest workouts. If he can return to form, he could surprise a few people.

Crowder52 said:
I don't see Carpenter necessarily becoming the best at his position or having a HOF career.

It won't be a sexy pick, but a safe one at a position of need.

Could easily have a HOF career. He kept getting better and better at OSU.

I think the pick would be very sexy.

I like Carpenter but Greenway is better. If we're going to get a true OLB then I hope it's Greenway. If we trade down and pick up Carpenter, I don't have a problem with that but at 16 Carpenter is a reach.

Shawn-l said:
I like Carpenter but Greenway is better. If we're going to get a true OLB then I hope it's Greenway. If we trade down and pick up Carpenter, I don't have a problem with that but at 16 Carpenter is a reach.

I've never understood this kind of thinking, really. If he's the best fit for your system that's available when you pick, a guy you're confident in, go ahead and pick him. The idiot pundits can say he's a reach all they want, but who's gonna b***h when he's on the field making plays? Would you rather trade down and take him later if he might slip? Of course, but fans and pundits seem to think the team is getting ripped off if they take a guy 'too early' when the option was probably to take him there or not get him at all. In reality, they're getting a damn STEAL when they can trade down and still get their guy. That's a lucky thing, not an entitlement.

SeahawkFinFan said:
I've never understood this kind of thinking, really. If he's the best fit for your system that's available when you pick, a guy you're confident in, go ahead and pick him. The idiot pundits can say he's a reach all they want, but who's gonna b***h when he's on the field making plays? Would you rather trade down and take him later if he might slip? Of course, but fans and pundits seem to think the team is getting ripped off if they take a guy 'too early' when the option was probably to take him there or not get him at all. In reality, they're getting a damn STEAL when they can trade down and still get their guy. That's a lucky thing, not an entitlement.
I agree 100% with your assessment. I think Carpenter at #16 is not a reach.. especially when most people have him going at #20 0r #21 of the first round. 5 slots is a reach?? LMAO!! A guy who is slated to go in the 4th and taken in the second or first--NOW thats a reach!!:wink:

SeahawkFinFan said:

Point being, there are better options than Bobby Carpenter at 16. That is what I mean by "reaching". Just because we have a shot at getting Nick Mangold at 16 we should pull the trigger?! Or would we rather take someone like Tye Hill or say Jay Cutler (if he dropped)? As Saban was saying in his PC, taking Best Player Available is not a mistake. Reaching for a need "is a mistake".

As I stated before, Chad Greenway is a better prospect. I've seen both players in action and honestly....Greenway is better.

Shawn-l said:
As I stated before, Chad Greenway is a better prospect. I've seen both players in action and honestly....Greenway is better.

All a matter of opinion.

Motion said:
All a matter of opinion.

I've watched them play here and there throughout the year, that's where my opinion comes from, but if you look around draft websites, you'll see it's the popular opinion as well.

Back
Top Bottom