Bobby Carpenter Is The Man | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bobby Carpenter Is The Man

Static387 said:
Could easily have a HOF career. He kept getting better and better at OSU.

I think the pick would be very sexy.

OK then, it's official. Bobby Carpenter is SEXY. Woo hoo.

SeahawkFinFan said:
I've never understood this kind of thinking, really. If he's the best fit for your system that's available when you pick, a guy you're confident in, go ahead and pick him. The idiot pundits can say he's a reach all they want, but who's gonna b***h when he's on the field making plays? Would you rather trade down and take him later if he might slip? Of course, but fans and pundits seem to think the team is getting ripped off if they take a guy 'too early' when the option was probably to take him there or not get him at all. In reality, they're getting a damn STEAL when they can trade down and still get their guy. That's a lucky thing, not an entitlement.

Exactly right Seahawk. Remember last year when the hosts of the draft on ESPN blasted Seattle for taking Lofa Tatupu in the 2nd when many had him graded as a 3rd or 4th rounder? He went on the become the captain of a Super Bowl defense as a rookie. We pick in the 1st round at 16, and we have to take the guy we think will help our team the most. I don't care if some idiot has him going at #22 or #62 on his mock draft, that means nothing when these guys get on the field.

Shawn-l said:
I've watched them play here and there throughout the year, that's where my opinion comes from, but if you look around draft websites, you'll see it's the popular opinion as well.

Carpenter could very well be a better fit for our D. It doesn't matter where draft websites rank these guys, they aren't ranking them within a given system. The only rankings that matter are Saban's and Capers' in this case.

Shawn-l said:
I've watched them play here and there throughout the year, that's where my opinion comes from, but if you look around draft websites, you'll see it's the popular opinion as well.

I didn't say your opinion was wrong or question it! I simply made a statement. I happen to disagree and think Greenway is overrated but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Crowder52 said:
Carpenter could very well be a better fit for our D. It doesn't matter where draft websites rank these guys, they aren't ranking them within a given system. The only rankings that matter are Saban's and Capers' in this case.

Yep.

Beyond the system issue is the issue of what is already present. It seems to me that the presence of Crowder in this defense undercuts many of the strengths of Greenway. If Miami had a pass rusher instead of Crowder, Greenway makes more sense. This isn't exactly like drafting for need, but it's similar. Drafting for need is about trying to avoid a one year hole to the detriment of the future. Drafting based on what you already have involves considering what you seem to have locked up for the next 3-5 years and drafting with that in mind.

i think most people would argee that carpenter is a very solid pick, i do think his rushing the qb ability is overblown. i think he has more upside then greenway and that greenway is the less "sexy" pick.

miadfins said:
i think most people would argee that carpenter is a very solid pick, i do think his rushing the qb ability is overblown. i think he has more upside then greenway and that greenway is the less "sexy" pick.

I greatly underestimated Carpenter's sexiness. I admit the mistake.

Back
Top Bottom