Bold Prediction: Bess to lead league in receptions | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bold Prediction: Bess to lead league in receptions

rayfinkle5

Starter
Reaction score
I found the following on rotoworld earlier this week. I ran a search and did not see it here. Bess (and fantasy football fans) enjoy...

http://blogs.rotoworld.com/Fantasy_Football/2009/08/davone_bess_2009_ppr_hero.php

Davone Bess: 2009 PPR Hero

If I was a bettor forced to wager on the NFL's 2009 receptions leader, I'd put money on Andre Johnson, Eddie Royal, Wes Welker, Jason Witten, Reggie Wayne, and even Chiefs second-stringer Dwayne Bowe all before any Miami Dolphins wide receiver. But it's time to go out on a limb. It's time for a truly Bold Prediction:

Davone Bess will lead the league in receptions this season.

Let's rehash.

Entering camp, Ted Ginn was one of my favorite WR3 targets when almost all signs pointed to Chad Henne replacing Chad Pennington by November. I believed Ginn could offer value because some had attached a "bust" or "disappointment" label to the the former No. 9 overall pick, despite a very promising start to his NFL career. Henne has the stronger arm and could pepper Ginn with intermediate-to-vertical targets. No longer inhibited by Pennington's dink-and-dunk tactics, Ginn would capitalize on his deep threat potential and give Miami just its second 1,000-yard receiver since the Jimmy Johnson era (2005, Chris Chambers is the other).

Now, I'm not so sure.

Henne has failed to narrow the gap during two-a-days after a hot spring and Pennington will enter Week 1 the undisputed starter. Perhaps an injury or Miami's tough on-paper schedule will get him benched eventually, but none of that can be reasonably predicted.

Background on Davone Bess

Despite averaging 98 catches for 1,204 yards and and 14 touchdowns per year in 13-game seasons over three years at Hawaii, Davone Bess went undrafted in 2008 due to his modest size (5'10/193) and speed (4.64 at the Combine). NFL teams were also concerned that Bess was a product of June Jones' run-and-shoot system, which had Colt Brennan at quarterback, and some early-college character concerns.

The Fins signed Bess as a UFA, giving him a two-year contract with a meager $7,000 signing bonus. A long shot to start out, Bess showed flawless hands throughout 2008 camp and earned a roster spot. When Ernest Wilford busted and Greg Camarillo tore his ACL in Week 11, Bess moved into the starting lineup. He caught 35 passes in Miami's final six contests (a 94-catch pace over 16 games) to finish with 54 on the year. It's the most by any undrafted rookie receiver since Wayne Chrebet in 1995.

Davone Bess' 2009 Opportunity and Analysis

As an underneath, slot-type receiver with a valuable combination of hands, route-running ability, short-area quickness, and coverage awareness, Bess has developed an obvious rapport with Pennington. Clearly lacking in the arm strength department, Pennington loves dropping short passes between the linebackers and safeties, or even better, between the linemen and linebackers. Bess is fearless over the middle. Pennington also has no problem throwing to "short" receivers. His favorite pass catchers (5'10" Chrebet, 5'10" Santana Moss, 5'11" Laveranues Coles, 5'11" Ginn, 6'0" Jerricho Cotchery) have all been 6-foot or shorter since that Moss kid at Marshall.

Despite Camarillo's impressive recovery, the Dolphins have all but handed Bess the starting flanker job. He lined up with Ginn and the starters in a two-receiver set at Sunday's scrimmage, then was formally listed atop the Dolphins' depth chart on Monday.

The Dolphins have positioned Bess to be a starting, every-down receiver in a sophomore season during which he should only improve. Bess is someone to get excited about in points-per-reception leagues. As long as Pennington is at quarterback, 90+ catches is a possibility.

the ball will be spread around too much for anyone to lead the league in anything, except maybe completion percentage.

He will probably be the leader in receptions for the Dolphins, but no way in the entire NFL.

so far he is the leading starter opposite to Ginn. If he stops it up I dont see why not. At camps he has looked stronger faster and does not drop a ball.

Wow! Bold prediction. Here is a question for fellow Dolfans and fantasy fans, where do you draft Bess? What round? My draft is coming up in 2 weeks and I am making up my sheets and I dont know where I would put Bess.

Pass the pipe. Your "stuff" is MUCH better than mine. LOL

Wow! Bold prediction. Here is a question for fellow Dolfans and fantasy fans, where do you draft Bess? What round? My draft is coming up in 2 weeks and I am making up my sheets and I dont know where I would put Bess.

In a standard 12 team 15 round draft, he will more than likely go un-drafted, so you can just pick him up on waivers.

Have done quite a few mocks so far and I have never seen him drafted.

In a standard 12 team 15 round draft, he will more than likely go un-drafted, so you can just pick him up on waivers.

Have done quite a few mocks so far and I have never seen him drafted.

Exactly.

I do not play. However, I believe that Turner and Bess are gonna be sleepers. I also believe that Penny is gonna shock the "Fantasy World" and Fasano will be a great late round pick. JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
so far he is the leading starter opposite to Ginn. If he stops it up I dont see why not. At camps he has looked stronger faster and does not drop a ball.

you dont see why not? well, we dont pass the ball enough is why not. he would probably have to catch 25% of our passes to lead the league. and thats not going to happen. as compared to last year he caugth 11%. thats a HUGE step up for someone that isnt a dominate player. its simply not going to happen.

We need to sign him long term, I will puke if he goes to the Pats!

Back
Top Bottom