Bold prediction | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bold prediction

FinfanInBuffalo

Perennial All-Pro
Club Member
Reaction score
The Dolphins will finish 12-4 and Dave Wannstedt will get serious consideration for coach of the year.

The 2000 team (Wannstedt's first year) finished 11-5. They had a first year starter at QB, a average RB, a misused FB, no TE, below average receivers, and a poor offensive coordinator. All this and 2000 was a year of a lot of change. Wannstedt does not get nearly enough credit for the job he did the first two years.

This years offense should be much better:

2000 - 2003
T Richmond Webb - Mark Dixon
G Mark Dixon - Jamie Nails
C Tim Ruddy - Tim Ruddy
G Kevin Donnalley - Todd Perry
T Todd Wade - Todd Wade
QB Jay Fiedler - Jay Fiedler
RB Rob Konrad - Rob Konrad
RB Lamar Smith - Ricky Williams
WR Tony Martin - Chris Chambers
WR Oronde Gadsden - Derrius Thonpson
TE Hunter Goodwin - Randy McMichael
Coord Chan Gailey - Norv Turner

Does anyone believe that this team is not much more talented?

Originally posted by FinfanInBuffalo
The Dolphins will finish 12-4 and Dave Wannstedt will get serious consideration for coach of the year.

The 2000 team (Wannstedt's first year) finished 11-5. They had a first year starter at QB, a average RB, a misused FB, no TE, below average receivers, and a poor offensive coordinator. All this and 2000 was a year of a lot of change. Wannstedt does not get nearly enough credit for the job he did the first two years.

This years offense should be much better:

2000 - 2003
T Richmond Webb - Mark Dixon
G Mark Dixon - Jamie Nails
C Tim Ruddy - Tim Ruddy
G Kevin Donnalley - Todd Perry
T Todd Wade - Todd Wade
QB Jay Fiedler - Jay Fiedler
RB Rob Konrad - Rob Konrad
RB Lamar Smith - Ricky Williams
WR Tony Martin - Chris Chambers
WR Oronde Gadsden - Derrius Thonpson
TE Hunter Goodwin - Randy McMichael
Coord Chan Gailey - Norv Turner

Does anyone believe that this team is not much more talented?
of course its more talented..which begs the question...how'd you go from 11-5 to 9-7 with more talent

Re: Re: Bold prediction

Originally posted by CirclingWagons

of course its more talented..which begs the question...how'd you go from 11-5 to 9-7 with more talent

You're asking for excuses so i'll give them to you, 3 of them:

1.)Injuries
2.)Bad Calls
3.)Ray Lucas.

Say what you want but you asked.

Re: Re: Re: Bold prediction

Originally posted by 13isgr81

You're asking for excuses so i'll give them to you, 3 of them:

1.)Injuries
2.)Bad Calls
3.)Ray Lucas.

Say what you want but you asked.
no smack intended, but you had all the opportunity in the world to win those last 2 games....Minnesota fumbled the ball like 4 times(I think you guys recovered only 1)...and we all know about the Patriots game...again, this is no smack...but you should of finished 11-5, winning the last 2

Dolphins December Schedule:
at Patriots
Eagles
at Bills
Jets

Looks like a December rerun for you fellas!

Nice signature CW. Have ya taken the time to peruse the Billies closing schedule? Judging from the amount of time you spend on here, my guess is no. Well, here ya go-

Colts 1:00 p.m.
@Giants 1:00 p.m.
Jets 4:15 p.m.
@Titans 1:00 p.m.
Dolphins 1:00 p.m.
@Patriots

You guys go 2-4 through that stretch and I will be impressed.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bold prediction

no smack intended, but you had all the opportunity in the world to win those last 2 games....Minnesota fumbled the ball like 4 times(I think you guys recovered only 1)...and we all know about the Patriots game...again, this is no smack...but you should of finished 11-5, winning the last 2

You are absolutely correct. We should have won the last 2. On the other hand, going 4-2 rather than 2-4 with Lucas at QB, puts us at the same 11-5 record.

In addition, neither of the last two loses were Wanndtedt's fault. The job of the coaching staff is to put the leam in a position to win. The players must make the plays.

The point of the original message is that Wannstedt is an underrated coach. He has held this team together despite opportunities for it to implode. He gets blamed for the Minn & NE loses, but gets no credit for the team coming up big against Denver and Oakland last year.

No matter how you look at it 31 wins over the last 3 years ranks way up there.

12-4 is very possible this year. As long as the Offense is able to put some points on the board, we will be fine. Our defense should be able to limit teams to less than 17 points per game. Our opponents will average about 11-12 ppg.

Man I can't wait!

:jetssuck:

A great question... I still haven't figured it out myself.

Injuries and Lucas is what you will hear, but this team should have at least won 12 games last year.

Re: Re: Re: Bold prediction

Originally posted by JackMeehov

Nice signature CW. Have ya taken the time to peruse the Billies closing schedule? Judging from the amount of time you spend on here, my guess is no. Well, here ya go-

Colts 1:00 p.m.
@Giants 1:00 p.m.
Jets 4:15 p.m.
@Titans 1:00 p.m.
Dolphins 1:00 p.m.
@Patriots

You guys go 2-4 through that stretch and I will be impressed.
I'd give them the Jets, and Patriots games, and they'll probably get another win in there somewhere. (Hopefully not against us.) I'd say 3-3

I think we'll win 12 games IF the defence plays good on the road unlike last year. I know they'll play good at home but in order to win 12 games, we'll need our defence to play as good away from home as they do at home imo.

Ozzy rules!!

I agree that 12-4 is within reach of this team. However, writing down and comparing roster from different years is practically meaningless. If you believe that games are won on paper, you may be rather disappointed. Talent is great, but without grit it doesn't mean a lot.

How do you win late in the year and through the playoffs?? A team must grind, claw and be the Rocky Balboa of the NFL. Come December, this team will get knocked on their collective asses a number of times....this year though, they need to get back up.

Originally posted by phinphan
I agree that 12-4 is within reach of this team. However, writing down and comparing roster from different years is practically meaningless. If you believe that games are won on paper, you may be rather disappointed. Talent is great, but without grit it doesn't mean a lot.

You believe they are capable of 12-4. What is that based on if not the players on the team and the coaching staff?

My point was that a team with lesser players and coaching staff finished at 11-5. I am using that as a basis for assessing this team's capabilities. Comparing rosters in not meaningless. If it were we would collectively giggle when the Dolphins sign players that we believe are upgrades (Seau, Knight). What do you suggest we use as a basis for comparison? jersey color?

Originally posted by FinfanInBuffalo

You believe they are capable of 12-4. What is that based on if not the players on the team and the coaching staff?

My point was that a team with lesser players and coaching staff finished at 11-5. I am using that as a basis for assessing this team's capabilities. Comparing rosters in not meaningless. If it were we would collectively giggle when the Dolphins sign players that we believe are upgrades (Seau, Knight). What do you suggest we use as a basis for comparison? jersey color?

I believe that the Phins are CAPABLE of a 12-4 record, based upon previous performances, and the hope that they have learned from their mistakes.

I said that comparing rosters was "practically" meaningless...in this particular instance. Did New England have more or less 'talent' last year than their Superbowl season?? Did they do better or worse last year?? Did you see the 1995 Dolphins??

Perhaps I was a little extreme with my reaction. However, my point was that roster comparison is only a small part of the equation.

Look...no sarcasm :)

Back
Top Bottom